Cardio True or False?

Options
My goal is to start weight training so that I can figure compete.
I met with a trainer, she said that after 15 mins, the body stops burning fat and starts to eat muscles.

Is this true? I have about 36.7lbs body fat / 15+ fatty lbs to loose (she measured and told me).

Should I lower my cardio to 15 mins and the rest strength or should I wait till I burn through my fat a little more before I drop?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is full of it.........get yourself another trainer, she's an idiot.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is mistaken.

Here is a Link that should give you your answer

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/fats/body-fat-myths-vs-facts.html#b
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your trainer should be fired.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ROFL...get another trainer...her knowledge is outdated. And most trainers will develop a program unique to you if they are good. Additionally the body will burn the stored glucose first. Not the fat. See multiple articles on burn...start here:

http://www.umich.edu/~medfit/resistancetraining/timingiseverything101705.html

Alot of medical terminology but very accurate..and fact checked by doctors.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The amount of trainers that say stuff that make no sense... It's like a plague!

Urg! get another trainer!
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your trainer. It takes about fifteen minutes to start burning fat, I think, because before that you're burning off the immediate energy sources your body stores. After fifteen or twenty minutes, then you begin to burn the fat stores. After around an hour, you're burning different energy sources. The most efficient way to burn stored fat is to do HIIT. If that's too strenuous or you just want to veg out on a cardio machine for a while, do moderate intensity for an hour or less. I run a lot, but on days that I use a cardio machine, I watch an episode of Scandal or Revenge on my phone (I use the Hulu app) and go by that. After one episode, I'm done.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    The amount of trainers that say stuff that make no sense... It's like a plague!

Yes because you too can become a "trainer" by taking a weekend class and getting a certificate that says you're one.

I know a "trainer" who says ridiculous stuff like that. She had people doing weighted side bends with a weight in both hand. My husband was the one who told her she was doing them wrong and she didn't know why!
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Is this a beachbody coach????

just kidding :tongue:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Please don't take offense at this: but your trainer's advice is so ludicrous that I burst out laughing...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is some truth that cardio can become catabolic, but if you are fueling your body, doing strength training, getting adequate protein, with a deficit that is not too large, I doubt it will happen. That said you should try HIIT instead, and maybe one day of low intensity long duration.

I would argue that you don't need any cardio or very little until you are cutting for the comp, as all you will need is protein, strength training, a small deficit to lose fat without losing much muscle. the caloric deficit can come from 100% diet or a combo of diet and cardio, just don't let the deficit get too large.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I met with a trainer, she said that after 15 mins, the body stops burning fat and starts to eat muscles.

If she meant 15 minutes in addition to your strength training, then she may have a point, because catabolism (muscle breakdown) does increase after about an hour of hard exercise without refueling.

If she meant just 15 minutes, with no other exercise, then no.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    absolute bs
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is full of it.........get yourself another trainer, she's an idiot.

^^^ This times a billion.
  • Latronibus
    Options
    ROFL...get another trainer...her knowledge is outdated. And most trainers will develop a program unique to you if they are good. Additionally the body will burn the stored glucose first. Not the fat. See multiple articles on burn...start here:

http://www.umich.edu/~medfit/resistancetraining/timingiseverything101705.html

Alot of medical terminology but very accurate..and fact checked by doctors.
    Mild correction: the body burns cellular storage, then blood glucose, then glycogen, then usually fat, then usually muscle, then organs. Muscle can sometimes precede fat, for various reasons; activity is the most straightforward way to prevent this.

As an aside, type 1 diabetics skip the glycogen step, because they can't make glucagon, and can't supplement it safely like they do with insulin.

At any rate, you are far closer to correct than the OP's trainer, who is an absolute idiot.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I cut cardio off at 14 minutes and 30 seconds just to be safe.. Don't want to start losing all my gains, brah!
    Joking. The 15 minute rule is absurd. While different types of cardio and even timing can be used strategically, this is such majoring in the minors.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is wrong.

I don't think she's accepting friend requests righ tnow, but USMCMP is a competitive body builder, and she could probably answer any questions specifically related to that. Go ahead and message her. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/usmcmp/status
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    fire the trainer
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Get a new trainer. That one is clearly an idiot.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I hope you didn't actually pay this woman. None the less I suggest you find another trainer. Good luck!
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Think about it logically for a minute. Think of all those triathlons, tough mudders, races, etc.... those are all a LOT longer than 15 minutes. Those people are built for stamina and have great muscle strength. Would they be doing events that would ruin all their success? No, I think not.

Everyone above me has the same thoughts as me. A new, more experienced trainer is in order.