Burn 1600 Calories Daily

Options
Hello all,

I have a coworker who suggested I burn 1600 calories daily in order to meet my goal weight faster. Should I do this? Will it be too hard on my body? Can I do this?

Thank you all for your responses and help.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a bad idea to me. It sounds like your coworker might be confused about the idea of burning more than you eat in order to lose weight. A lot of people think that this means you need to burn all of those calories through exercise, but they're missing all of the calories burned keeping your body alive, going to work, sitting on the couch, etc.

Unless you're training for something specific there's no reason to burn that many calories a day.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Like 1600 exercise calories a day? You'll suffer from overuse injuries.
  • ChelseaGoneAwry
    ChelseaGoneAwry Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Depends how many calories you're taking in. If you're working out 3-4 times a week, your calorie needs are probably around 1200-1500. If you work out daily, they're probably around 1500-2000. Any calories that you burn from exercise need to be replaced with more calories. I know it sounds counter-productive, but remember that working out isn't just about burning calories - it's about toning muscles and losing fat. Your muscle mass will suffer if your calorie deficit is too big.

So let's say your daily calorie goal is 2000 calories, and you consume 2800. Burning 800-1000 calories is a good idea. As long as the 2000 calories you consumed are from eating healthy foods, you'll be fine. Your body needs those nutrients to build muscle and get through the day.

Besides, you'd have to work out REALLY hard in one session, or be moving pretty much the entire day, to burn 1600 calories, which means you're likely to hurt yourself or strain yourself so badly that you can't workout for the next week! Stick with burning your extra calories, and let your body tell you when it needs a rest. As you eat healthier and workout regularly, you'll find that your body can do more and you'll have lots of energy - those pounds WILL begin to fall off! Just be patient. Over-exercising will not make you drop 20 pounds in two weeks - it will make you miserable, and you'll probably give up.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Burn 1600 calories total throughout the course of one day? Or burn 1600 calories through exercise alone?

Unless you are a mega-athlete, you probably shouldn't try to burn 1600 exercise calories every day. You'd be exercising for hours.

If she meant throughout the day - it's possible that you already do that even if you're only slightly-moderately active. But hard to say not knowing anything about you.

Like someone else above said - Calorie deficits = weight loss. You could burn 2500 calories every day but if you eat 5000, you will not lose weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who suggested I burn 1600 calories daily in order to meet my goal weight faster. Should I do this? Will it be too hard on my body? Can I do this?

You have to be very very fit to accomplish that. 1600 calories is equivalent to a 200 pound person running 12 miles a day - every day.

You'll also have to eat back about 80% of those calories, or you will crash and burn very quickly.

ETA: I'm assuming this refers to adding 1600 calories of exercise burn, and doesn't include BMR, NEAT, etc.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

This is a recipe for disaster - you'll burn out quickly, lose a high proportion of lbm, leave yourself open to insane carb binges (as your body cries out for fuel).

Just exercise 3 times a week, eat at a sensible deficit (say 10-15% under TDEE) and give it some time. You'll look and feel better in the end and be far healthier.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You probably already burn more than that just sitting there all day and sleeping at night
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You probably already burn more than that just sitting there all day and sleeping at night

I'm assuming she means in exercise sessions though, on top of her usual daily activity
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If your co-worker means 1600 cals by exercising, ask him to do that for a couple of weeks himself and then come back to you.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your coworker is very misinformed about how this works. That is very difficult to do and very unhealthy unless you're training for the Olympics or something.. At the most burn maybe 300 calories a day. Even 150-200 would be fine. 1600 though?! You would basically need to eat 3000 calories a day just to function normally. It's also a lot of stress on the body to do a workout daily that burns 1600 calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would ignore you coworker and carry on losing at a healthy pace and you will keep it off when you get to your goal.

There tends to lots of advice given by colleagues, especially those who don't and never have needed to lose weight.

I often have conversations with coworkers that start off "you are doing really well but if you are really serious about losing weight you need to" a lot of these came after the 40lbs lost mark.

If you are happy with what you are currently doing and its working then stick with it
  • niniagrn
    niniagrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's not realistic or healthy!!! I work out 6 days out the week and burn at least 600 calories a day, not counting the strength training. I say that to say if you want to burn more calories I suggest working out more days per week (need a day of rest) and incorporate strength training into your work out routine.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

tell your coworker if he/she joins you in burning 1600 calories a day everyday then you'll do it. better yet tell your coworker to zip it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    but you probably already burn 1600 calories a day (probably more) just by being alive.

or do you mean 1600 additional calories? if so, if you really have time to spend 5-6 hours a day working out then, DAMN