Anyone else not got a clue what there doing?

Options
So this isn't my first diet. I've dieted on a off for years. In 2011-12 I dieted and went to the gym hard and lost 2 stone (28 pounds) after I left college I stopped going to the gym because I didn't get it cheaper anymore, my job kinda did the work for me, I was on my feet all day running around like a headless chicken in a hot hotel ( housekeeping) I got seriously fed up with this job 4 months ago and got a job in a children's hospice in support services. The problem I now have is I'm putting weight back on, I've put on 8 pound, Christmas didn't help. I know I could alone the 8 pound easy by doing what I did last time, I've lost 2 pound this week. But this time I want to get some muscle, and the flat stomach! But I don't know anyone who goes to the gym, I just so the same thing everytime and I don't know what I need to do to achieve my goal!! Anyone else in the same boat and got no clue what half of the machines do?!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Do some research, bring some notes. No shame in bringing a piece of paper with notes/goals/sets/reps/exercises on it into the gym.
  • sarahwilliams0
    Options
    I write down what I go on, how long for and how many calories I burn. But I do the same thing. Treadmill, bike, cross trainer then I just fiddle around with a machine for 10 minutes then go home haha
  • brebre0789
    brebre0789 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to go to the gym to lose weight. Several members here workout from home and achieve fantastic results. For ideas on workouts, youtube has tons of options and well as www.fitnessblender.com. If you would rather go to the gym, I don't really have much to offer as I workout from home. Good luck!
  • dirtydirtysouf
    dirtydirtysouf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    if you can afford a trainer then this will be the best place to start. a good trainer will help you fig. out your goal and get you set in the right direction. putting on new muscle will help eat away the fat faster. I turned my mom onto a trainer because she was "lost" at the gym and now she is making strides to get stronger and has a "road map" to get there
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the machines, what you want are free weights.

Here is a simple program to help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted with a trainer, you need to try to find one to get started. You need to be shown proper form and have someone who can evaluate where you are who can then help design a program. The gym you belong to may offer that service (or might be able to recommend another member who can work with you) as part of the price you pay for being a member. If you can't afford a trainer you can try googling "women weight lifting routines" and a bunch of sites will show up that provide any number of routines. However those may, or may not, be appropriate for you and where you are in your overall fitness.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted with a trainer, you need to try to find one to get started. You need to be shown proper form and have someone who can evaluate where you are who can then help design a program. The gym you belong to may offer that service (or might be able to recommend another member who can work with you) as part of the price you pay for being a member. If you can't afford a trainer you can try googling "women weight lifting routines" and a bunch of sites will show up that provide any number of routines. However those may, or may not, be appropriate for you and where you are in your overall fitness.

You do not NEED a trainer. It may help some people however.

The book Starting Strength is really great at demonstrating form, and even has a program in it.

If you want stupidly simple program check the link I posted above.