target training

Options
I always hear different thing... can you or can you not target train? For instance, if I go on the elliptical and I feel it in my *kitten* and legs is that what its helping.. or are burned calories just burned calories that are going to come off wherever. please help!

Replies

• zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey - looks like you are pretty new here. Welcome and good luck on your Saga. Here is a great set of posts to read when starting here - and the one "How to blast that fat from a specific area!" is right on point to your question.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Here is another good website recommended by alot of people on MFP - very good and straight forward info.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, you can target train muscles. That's basically what strength training is all about. I mean, if you exercise one arm on a regular basis, it will get stronger than the other. The other arm doesn't need to be strong.

When most people talk about target training though, they're talking about fat. You can't lose fat on specifically one part of your body. Your body will handle that however it wants to handle it. All you can do is strengthen the muscle beneath the fat. So while doing the elliptical will probably make your butt and legs stronger and more toned (because you're using those muscles vigorously), which will help make those areas look better, it won't actually take the fat away from those spots.

Does that make sense? Someone might tell me I'm way off base, but that's my understanding of target training. Most of the time when people say you can't target train, it's because the person wants to lose fat. For example, I want my calves to be smaller. Sadly, nothing I can do will make them smaller, I just have to hope it happens with overall fat loss. Similarly, I have a pretty sizeable stomach. I might want it to be smaller, but doing ab exercises isn't going to magically make the fat on my stomach go away faster than my boobs. That depends on your body's preferences.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense! think it answered my question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    You can target train a muscle or muscle group. You cannot target train to reduce fat from a specific area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition