Need help with my diet

Options
I started my diet on Dec 28 2013 about 1 month ago weighing in at 500lbs and 52 years old 6' 2" tall. I have been eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day for the past month. I have not really been hungry. Think I have lost some weight, my clothes are fittng looser then before I do have a scale but not sure if it is accurate. I get very little exercise because because of my weight making it hard to move--I do walk a little before completly exausted. My first goal is to get some weight off so I can have better mobilty and then add more exercise. I have been drinking mostly water sometimes with half a fresh lemon juice in it. I realize now after reading here that 1000 - 1200 is possiby to few calories. When I joined it says I need to eat 2,990 calories per day, will this amount of calories help me lose weight? I believe that this could take up to two years to get the weight off--my long term goal is to get down to about 250--then from there work on getting down to about 200.

Any ideas or advice to help me correct what i am doing wrong?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I'm not a doctor. If you're doing this under the supervision of a doctor you obviously want to take their advice with more weight than most of the advice here.

Because of your size, you don't really need to worry about a minimum number of calories. The concern for people who are lighter is that we'd lose more muscle than fat if we're eating too little because our bodies don't have enough fat to breakdown easily for energy. You have plenty of fat for your body to access right now. I think that your instinct is right to get the weight off while you can.

That said, watch out for some things. Make sure that you're not feeling lethargic or moody, not "hangry." Watch out for binge-eating pattern. If you start to notice physical symptoms like hair loss or brittle nails you might have your calories too low. Don't be afraid to use those extra calories if you need them. You'll still lose weight with the goal MFP set for you, it just might be slower.

And be prepared to increase your calories when the weight does come off. Best of luck to you. It sounds like you have a long journey ahead of you, but you've taken some great first steps!
  • GaryRZ2020
    GaryRZ2020 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you diannethegeek. So far I'm feeling fine, not lethargic or moody or "hangry." :smile:
    My health I think is still over all good beside the wieght, no diabetes and cholesterol is normal except for some swelling in my ankles which has considerablly lessened since I started. On previous diets after week or so I was binge eating but so far I have not had the desire to binge or cravings for any food really. I was a heavy drinker of soft drinks a least a six pack of Coca Cola a day-- surpising I have not had the cravings for that either. I believe the lemon jiuce in the water is helping with not craving the soft drinks. Anyhow year after year is passing and I need to get this weight off for myself and family and I thank you for your advice.