Cardio True or False?

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A trainer at my gym (where I'm also a trainer) said cardio strips muscle.

That's it. Cardio strips muscle. I do very little cardio, because cardio strips muscle.

I can't believe it.
    I can't think of an example of another trade where your competitors might spout this amount of nonsense and still find work?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, BUT this doesn't make sense. If it were true, you could only do 15 minutes of cardio a day...

I did read an earlier post that said "if she meant strength-training plus 15 minutes," this makes more sense.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Your body's use of fuel isn't based on the man-made "minute."
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't just fire the trainer. Disown them.
  • somethinginherair
    somethinginherair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is full of it.........get yourself another trainer, she's an idiot.

Agreed with everyone.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not crazy!

I thought something was weird--Like I have been living under a rock no to know that basic fact.

No, I didn't pay for the session, the gym I went to offers one free consultation, which was good in that it helped me learn a few machines that I wouldn't have known what to do with. But that factoid seemed a little nonsensical.

Thanks for being the best Myth Busters out there!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    My goal is to start weight training so that I can figure compete.
    I met with a trainer, she said that after 15 mins, the body stops burning fat and starts to eat muscles.

Is this true? I have about 36.7lbs body fat / 15+ fatty lbs to loose (she measured and told me).

Should I lower my cardio to 15 mins and the rest strength or should I wait till I burn through my fat a little more before I drop?
    Trainer is misinformed. The first source of any physical activity to be burned is GLYCOGEN. Next would be fat, then lean tissue, but the body would have to be in a pretty extreme energy deficit for this to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition