Pescatarian Recipes?

Options
Anyone know any good Pescatarian recipes? I'm new to the whole No meat but fish thing, Being raised in the south we eat a lot of meat. So any good fish, shrimp, or crap recipes would be great. <3333

Replies

• mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Many meals that usually contain poultry or meat can be subbed for shrimp. Think of your favorites and just use shrimp instead! I love having any kind of seafood for dinner, since it usually cooks really quickly.

One of my personal favorites is sesame encrusted tuna. Roll the tuna in the sesame seeds, pan fry for about 30 seconds on each side. Enjoy! Warning, you do need very high quality tuna, preferable sashimi grade.
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    That was a short thread. I'd like some ideas too if anyone still has any. Thanks.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Shrimp with Mushrooms and Bamboo Shoots
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shrimp-with-mushrooms-and-bamboo-shoots.html
    Serves 4

Ingredients

For the stir-fry:
    2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil, divided
    1 lb 26/30 shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp minced ginger
    8 oz ****ake mushrooms, sliced
    2 tsp white wine vinegar
    2/3 lb snow peas, trimmed
    8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained

For the sauce:
    3 tsp oyster sauce
    2 tsp light soy sauce
    2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp chicken bouillon

Directions

Be sure to prepare and gather all ingredients before you start cooking. Peeled and devein the shrimp. Prepare the snow peas; trim the ends and peel the edges (they are tough). In a small bowl, mix remaining oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, water and bouillon. Stir to combine and set aside.

Heat up a large deep pan or wok over med-high heat. Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil is very hot. Add shrimp, saute for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms; cook for a minute or so until the fragrant, then add the white wine vinegar.

Add the snow peas and bamboo shoots, stir. Stir-fry with the vegetables until combined.

Add the sauce mixture. Keep stirring. Do not overcook the snow peas. Remove from the heat when the sauce has thickened. Serve over cooked white or brown rice (optional).
  • dklibert
    Options
    Shrimp Creole
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/shrimp-creole.html
    Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    28 oz. can whole tomatoes, crushed or diced
    3/4 tsp. Kosher salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp. Black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. Red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning, or to taste
    2 clove garlic, minced
    5 sprigs parsley, chopped
    2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
    1 bay leaf
    3 lbs. shrimp

Directions

Peel and devein the shrimp. Heat oil in saucepan, add onion and brown. Add tomatoes with juice and celery; cook 10 minutes, stirring thoroughly. Add all other ingredients except shrimp. Cook 10 min, then add shrimp. Cook 20 - 30 min. longer or until shrimp are cooked adding a little water if necessary. Cook covered on a low fire, stirring occasionally. Serve over steamed rice.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Grilled Shrimp Nachos
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 2 as a meal; 4 or more as a starter

Ingredients

18 Shrimp, peeled and deveined
    Olive oil
    Sazón (click here for recipe)
    1 onion, sliced into thick slices
    1 bell pepper or poblano pepper, deseed and cut into half or thirds
    Salt, to taste
    3 slices 2 % American cheese
    1 Tbsp. pickled jalapeno, minced
    3 Tbsp. reduced fat (1%) milk
    Tortilla chips

Directions

Soak skewers in salted water for 20 minutes (click here for a grilling tip). Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Drizzle shrimp with olive oil, sprinkle with Sazón and place on skewers.

Rub onions and peppers with olive oil and season with salt. Place onions and peppers on the grill. Grill for 10 minutes; 5 minutes a side. Place shrimp on the grill. Grill for 4 minutes; 2 minutes a side. Quarter onions and slice peppers; add to a microwave safe bowl with cheese, jalapeno and milk. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for another 30 seconds until cheese has melted into a sauce.

Place tortillas on a platter, top with onion/peppers mixture and grilled shrimp.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Grilled Fish Tacos
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/grilled-fish-tacos.html
    Serves 4

Ingredients

For fish:
    4 tilapia filets
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp Mexican oregano, crushed by hand
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    Olive oil
    Lime juice
    Cilantro, roughly chopped

For chipotle mayo:
    4 Tbsp light mayonnaise
    1 tsp chipotle puree
    1/8 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp lime juice

For tacos:
    12 Corn tortillas
    Coleslaw mix
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1 tomato, chopped
    Cilantro, roughly chopped
    Lime, cut into wedges
    2% sharp cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions

Combine garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle tilapia filets evenly on both sides. Sprinkle filets with olive oil, lime juice and cilantro, rub all over filets and place in refrigerator covered to marinate 10-15 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chipotle puree, salt and lime juice. Stir until well combined, cover and set aside in the refrigerator. [If you can not find chipotle puree, puree a can of chipotle peppers in adobe in a blender or food processor. Freeze leftovers in a Ziploc bag for another use.]

Pre-heat grill to medium heat for 10 minutes. Place tilapia filets on one side of a large piece of foil. Fold the other half of foil over the filets and fold the three edges. Place foil packet on the grill. Grill 6 minutes, 3 minutes a side. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes.

Warm tortillas on a plate covered in plastic wrap for 40 seconds on high in the microwave. To assemble tacos spread a teaspoon of chipotle mayo in the center of the each tortilla. Add flaked tilapia, coleslaw, red onion, tomato and cilantro. Add a sprinkle of cheese if using. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over the top.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Tuna Salad Puttanesca Style
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuna-salad-puttanesca-style.html
    Serves 3 – 4

Ingredients

12 oz can light tuna in water, drained and flaked
    1 small shallot, finely chopped
    1 roma tomato, chopped
    2 tsp capers
    1 Tbsp kalamata olives, sliced
    1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
    1 Tbsp olive oil, or to taste
    1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
    1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
    1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste

Optional garnish for serving:
    3 – 4 roma tomatoes

Directions

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients stir mixing well until all ingredients are well distributed. Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill. (It is delicious just mixed but if you chill it a while the flavors will blend a little more.)

For serving: Remove the tops from the roma tomatoes, turn cut side down and cut into quarters leaving the bottom 1/4” still attached. It should open up like a flower. Fill the center of each tomato with tuna salad.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    google Bobby Flay's soy-ginger-mustard-brown-sugar salmon glaze- it'll show up on the Food Network website. it is to DIE for, and so easy to make.

I'm a crazy grad student so healthy eating has to be convenient or it won't happen - Trader Joe's is an awesome place to find great frozen seafood options for a super quick dinner! I love their salmon or mahi mahi burgers, especially on top of a salad or with a side of roasted veggies. Their soy-ginger marinated cod is also amazing! (it's raw fillets, just frozen in the marinade).

I loove making veg or pescetarian mexican food. Try fish tacos, or a shrimp+avocado quesadilla! Sometimes i even make a plate of healthy nachos for dinner using beans or morningstar farms' griller crumbles (cook them briefly in a skillet with taco seasoning and a splash of water - tastes just like taco meat). nachos for dinner = a diet I can definitely stick to! I use 1 serving of scoops chips so I can really fill up each chip with protein :)
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Ooo these all sound really good. I'm gonna give them a try this week. Thanks!