went from 1200 calories to 1500 and lost more weight?

Options
Ive been on a 1200 calorie a day diet all of January. I exercised around 3 times a week and lost maybe 3 pounds total.

But mostly the scale was at a standstill and my weight has barely budged.

However, I binged (or so I thought) the past 5 days and consumed around 1500 calories a day - and I LOST weight. A solid 3 pounds at that.

Weird, huh?

Is this a legit thing that can happen, or is this just a coincidence? I weigh myself every other day at the same time of day (mornings), so there's no food or extra water weight that can contribute.

Should I up my intake to 1500, or should I go back to 1200?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its not weird, I don't know why people think they have to eat almost nothing to lose weight.. you could of probably eaten MORE and still lost weight.. its shocking how much you can eat, enjoy life, and still lose weight hey??

Most people can eat 1500 calories and exercise lightly and lose.. the more you exercise the more you can eat and still lose..
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your stats (height, weight, goal, etc), it's hard to say whether you should up your cals to 1500. Most women though, can lose weight eating more than 1200 calories. It's unlikely that you lost 3 pounds of fat in 5 days. That would be a huge deficit. Just like a person can gain 3 pounds in 5 days, the 3 pounds you lost was likely mostly water weight, bowel movement, or any other normal fluctuation.

But you could probably still lose weight eating more than 1200 calories.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Its not weird, I don't know why people think they have to eat almost nothing to lose weight.. you could of probably eaten MORE and still lost weight.. its shocking how much you can eat, enjoy life, and still lose weight hey??

Most people can eat 1500 calories and exercise lightly and lose.. the more you exercise the more you can eat and still lose..

^^

Personally eating 1200 has never worked well for me. Aside from the lack of energy and the urge to eat everything in sight, I didn't lose much eating at that amount. I now always cut at around 1600 @ 5'2, 130lbs
  • Xx_renee_xX
    Options
    Well as far as stats go, i'm currently 152, 5'6 and I *eventually* want to get back down to 120.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I find a caloric deficit of more than 1000 to be counterproductive. Do you have a guess at your TDEE? If it's 2100-2200, then 1200 might be too low of an intake goal, in my opinion.

If you're happier on 1500, stick with it for a month. See what happens. Maybe when you lose another 10# or so, you'll have to cut to 1400. But there's nothing wrong with 1500.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Not weird. It's called, "Doing it right."
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Well as far as stats go, i'm currently 152, 5'6 and I *eventually* want to get back down to 120.

Then yes, I'd up my cals to 1500. You should be able to lose weight on that, no problem (as you've already begun to experience).

ETA: Every time you lose 5 pounds, a recalculation may be in order.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Who knows. You might've lost those pounds this week with no change at all. It's rarely linear. Over the long haul, barring misestimating more at deeper deficits and perhaps effects of cortisol from deeper deficits, the higher the deficit, the faster you'll lose. But if you will count better or comply longer or move more at higher levels, it's probably smarter.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight at about 1300 calories and eventually I stopped losing. The last month I've upped my cals to 1600 and am losing and leaning again. The scale was confused for a few weeks but then it started dropping. A very smart friend of mine convinced me to use my TDEE minus 20% as my calorie goal. I exercise 6 days/wk... lifting & running. I feel a lot better and now I'm able to focus on eating a lot of protein (120g/day). I try to do a pretty even split between carbs, fats & protein. Carbs are usually a slightly higher piece of the equation.
  • Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options

However, I binged (or so I thought) the past 5 days and consumed around 1500 calories a day - and I LOST weight. A solid 3 pounds at that.

Whoa, let's not throw around the term "binge" so lightly! 1500 calories IN A DAY, is far from binging! I could binge eat 1500 (and far more!) in one meal! ... but I don't like to brag! ;) LOL! Seriously, eat more, don't starve yourself. Body needs fuel and all of that good stuff.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Whoa, let's not throw around the term "binge" so lightly! 1500 calories IN A DAY, is far from binging! I could binge eat 1500 (and far more!) in one meal! ... but I don't like to brag! ;) LOL! Seriously, eat more, don't starve yourself. Body needs fuel and all of that good stuff.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Hehe.
  • Xx_renee_xX
    Options

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Hehe.

Lol well I shouldve been more specific..."binged" on cookies, beer, and other crap, all while not exercising- The sugar I need to avoid!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    With your stats no reason to restrict that low. I am your height, 140, and eat 1600 + about 200-300 exercise cals.

read here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I know it's weird, but the same thing happened to me. I lost most of my weight on around 1400 to 1500 calories. When I hit my goal, I upped my calories to about 1700 or 1800, and actually lost weight quicker than when I was actually trying.

I have since found my maintenance calories to be around 2100.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited by this post! I'm 5'7 and currently 190. Originally, I got down to 165 over a year ago, from initially 237 in 2010 when I first started weight loss journey.

I've been at the 1500 calories or even 1200 and never felt good. I was always hungry. I workout a bunch 60-90 min 5-6 x a day. A week ago I upped my own calories up to 1800-2200. I lost 6 lbs in a week...water..probably, but a loss! WHOOT! I'm glad to see other ladies here around my height and at my weight loss goal of '140'. :) They are even eating more calories ;) Gotta enjoy life too! Thanks all..encouraging me.:love:
  • Lorniex
    Options
    Sorry but i'm new to this and it's similar to the post I have just put up!

forgive me, but is this upping your 'net calories' to 1500 or total calories for the day?
  • becsaboo
    Options
    Have you ever calculated your body metabolic rate? You an do so here: http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php#.Uul3fGRdUV0

Anyways, my bmr is about 1440. I've done 1200 calories before and I'm always hungry and irritable. I truly think it's because I was starving myself. The bmr is the amount of calories your body burns on a daily basis. So if I'm not eating the 1440 I'm depriving my body. My maintenance calorie level is somewhere in the 1700s, so as long as I eat between those numbers I lose a little each week. Combine that with drinking enough water, eating a healthy diet, and exercising and I'm losing more weight than I've lost in a long time.

Good luck and listen to your body when it's hungry! Learn the difference between hunger pains and eating because you are bored/craving.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me and I weigh the same. You probably had more energy and therefore you were able to workout more efficiently thus burning more calories eating at 1500. I felt close to death at 1200 trying to exercise 3-5 times a week.
  • debbiesweety
    Options
    I lost most of my weight at about 1300 calories and eventually I stopped losing. The last month I've upped my cals to 1600 and am losing and leaning again. The scale was confused for a few weeks but then it started dropping. A very smart friend of mine convinced me to use my TDEE minus 20% as my calorie goal. I exercise 6 days/wk... lifting & running. I feel a lot better and now I'm able to focus on eating a lot of protein (120g/day). I try to do a pretty even split between carbs, fats & protein. Carbs are usually a slightly higher piece of the equation.

What is TDEE?
  • littlewaaxo
    Options

What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure, it's the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight, based on your height, gender, age, weight & activity level. You're supposed to eat 20% below this for slow & steady weight loss :)