the healthier i get the worse it is

Options
i have been using MFP since august of 2012, over the course of this i have lost almost 60 lbs. but i have had more issues with losing weight than ever before. i've been having issues with hair loss no matter how much protein and fat i take in. my thyroid is in perfect functioning order, and i've stopped losing weight on top of it all...wtf...i take a multi vitamin with minerals, vitamin e and biotin...at the recommendation of my beautician i've started using cholesterol on my hair, but it keeps breaking off. does anyone have any other suggestions? i've been to the dr so don't suggest it cause they can not find anything out of range

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming? It's probably time to up them.
  • brandi_69
    brandi_69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i have them set at 1200...if i up them even just a little bit i start putting back on weight rapidly...as in 10 lbs in a week
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    how much weight are you losing at one time? This is often a sign of losing weight in an unhealthy way. I would talk with a doctor asap
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Theres no way you could be putting on 10lbs of fat a week from upping your cals just slightly, must be water weight, up them, stick with it for a bit and see if it evens out and you start losing again
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    upping calories always puts weight on... its water...
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    i have them set at 1200...if i up them even just a little bit i start putting back on weight rapidly...as in 10 lbs in a week

You don't really put on 10 pounds of fat in a week by going over 1200. You would have to go insanely far over.

Your body is retaining additional water when you up your calories. Maybe that's even a good thing. When you go higher, are you adding carbs back in or a lot of additional sodium? It's going to be hard to determine unless you make your diary public.

Without additional data from your diary, weight, and height it will be hard to determine what's wrong. Most likely, you might need a few additional calories. You probably need to take the minor short term hit of water retention and then see what happens.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain one pound of fat. I would suggest you eat 1700 calories and not weigh for a month. You are obviously have been undereating for so long !!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It would be most helpful if you could open up your diary. There is an inconsistency in your numbers, but without seeing the logs it is impossible to pinpoint where it's coming from.
  • brandi_69
    Options
    i have not lost any weight in over a year...i fluctuate between 160-170 depending on what i eat....ive tried the increased fats and protein and lower carbs and that helps me to maintain between those ranges. i lost the 60 lbs in appox 9 months time and started losing my hair...i increased calories and put on 10 lbs in a week...took a month to lose it back...back at 164 currently but i just stick there...and hair breakage is back....ive been to the dr and all my vitamins are within normal ranges...vitamin d is a little low but i also work night shift and dont see the sun much in the winter
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That is scientifically and mathematically impossible. You will put on a little when you up our calories due to increased glycogen stores and water...but this isn't fat.

Bottom line is that as you lean out, the slower you have to go because you know longer have the fat stores to maintain a large deficit.
  • brandi_69
    Options
    i dont think im leaning out either....body fat percent in december was 29% ive been trying to get to 22% that would in turn help be get to my goal weight of 140 lbs...but it seems that anytime i increase calories i start putting back on weight...as for water weight...i drink approx 128 ounces of water daily to help reduce the amount of water weight so i dont think it is that
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    Can you share your diary? It would be good to see what you're eating.

It is important to understand you don't gain 10 pounds of fat in a week from eating a few extra calories per day. It just cannot happen. If your gaining that much weight and it's not fat...it's water.
  • brandi_69
    Options
    send me a friend request i have my diary open for my friends
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    i have not lost any weight in over a year...i fluctuate between 160-170 depending on what i eat....ive tried the increased fats and protein and lower carbs and that helps me to maintain between those ranges. i lost the 60 lbs in appox 9 months time and started losing my hair...i increased calories and put on 10 lbs in a week...took a month to lose it back...back at 164 currently but i just stick there...and hair breakage is back....ive been to the dr and all my vitamins are within normal ranges...vitamin d is a little low but i also work night shift and dont see the sun much in the winter
    All I can say at this point is try the advice we have already given. Unless you upped your calories by 5000 a day that weight wasn't fat.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I noticed in your picture, you're holding a baby. I'm not sure how old that picture is, but if you're nursing, you may need to double check the amount of vitamins you're taking.

Another thought was hair coloring. I know that my hair breaks much more easily when I've over-colored it and I am using the blow dryer constantly. I could be way off the mark, but thought it was worth mentioning as a possibility.
  • brandi_69
    Options
    hes not my baby...its my nephew...that picture was in november...my hair has lost half its length since that pic...and ive not dyed it since august...the breakage has just started again in december....it happened the same time last year as well and ive not lost any weight since march of last year
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    I am a total newb so really have no business saying anything but I cannot resist…. hair falling out and breaking off is not a sign of being healthier it is a sign of trauma/stress and generally marks a period of unhealthiness. What you meant to say was the thinner you get the worse it is.

As a person with long hair {well beyond waist} I suggest you spend some time on the long hair community and learn how to take care of your hair. Breakage is more likely due to past behavior… that is your hair is like a tree and grows at a certain rate so if your hair is breaking off 6" from end that marks a period when you were not getting good nutrition or were sick. Stress could account for the falling out and not be a matter of nutrition. By stress I don't only mean emotional but also physical {nutritional or illness}. If your body is trying to deal with stress and you are not giving it plenty of healthy nutrients and rest you are only making it that much more difficult to cope/heal. Plus of course your hair may be breaking due to whatever you use on it… strait irons, curlers, dye, high protein shampoo, even if you pull it into the same pony or bun on a regular basis those rubber bands can damage your hair at that point.

I am not going to comment on long term low calorie intake because I have over 100 lbs to lose to have a 'healthy' BMI {i put that in quotes because I know BMI tables do not factor in muscles etc and are a general benchmark} so will probably be eating on the lower end for quite a while. Although, to be honest, you seem scared of going over 1200 and since 1200 is generally considered the lowest possible you can get and still obtain all your necessary nutrients I wonder if you are staying a bit under on a day to day basis. I cannot personally fathom hitting 1200 on the dot every day for years.

good luck to you :-D

editing to add link to LHC: http://www.longhaircommunity.com
  • brandi_69
    Options
    no not just the thinner....its the healthier...i have managed to quit smoking, lose 60 lbs, eat fruits and veggies and smarter diet choices i work out daily...as for putting stuff on my hair i dont...i dont even blow dry it lol...so i dont think that its chemical related.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. Sure, you'll see a gain in the beginning, which is your glycogen stores replenishing + the water stored with it. But the weight will go down.

The amount of water you drink really doesn't have anything to do with the above.