Healthy breakfast ideas

Options
Hi,
I'm trying to improve my general health - eating better, moving more etc. However I am a bit of a fussy eater. I have been trying a few things. I am limited by not being able to have much milk as it sets off my IBS. So... cereal is out really, as is porridge. I did try porridge with soya milk which was DISGUSTING and with water which was pretty horrid. Not a great fan of fruit, and I hate yoghurt, and nuts. So I'm running out of ideas!!!!
I currently have toast, one slice with just margarine on and one with jam or something, but this is not only boring but not great for me every morning.
If you have any suggestions - I'm completely open. It's a bit hard to force yourself to eat something you hate every morning. I honestly wish I did like these items, it would be so much easier!!
Thanks!
P.S Banana muffins have been suggested previously - I would eat these, but I need more than one really.

Replies

• jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Omelets.quiches, peanut butter and 'nana sammiches, homemade granola bars, breakfast quesadilla/wraps, 'breakfast grilled cheese - ham, egg, tomato, cheese', pancakes, smoothies, etc.
  • m_shell
    Options
    You're a tough cookie. I'm not necessarily looking for something that will melt in my mouth- I want something I can tolerate and something that will fill me up. I was just having this conversation with my friend and she recommended. Strawberry frosted mini wheat cereal. You can eat one cup for like 190 calories (no milk) and it fills you up. You can have an entire cup of blueberries for 80 calories and it's a natural tummy shrinking fruit and so Is oatmeal--so I'm told. Not the yummy brown sugar and strawberries and cream kind. I'm talking the old plain crap. ½ cup of the oats, and then 1 cup of water…add splenda or truvia if you need to add a sweetener…NEVER real sugar. Too many calories- and then I add cinnamon. You get a HUGE bowl of it and it makes you fuller…longer.

I also eat a ton of egg white omelets. I add tomatoes, spinach, mushroom a light sprinkle of weight watchers cheese, but you could add any veggies you like and it's surprisingly filling with very little calories. I find I have that for dinner a lot of nights too.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I suggest hiding your veggies by grating them in your eggs and scrambling them and topping with cheese. You won't taste the veggies as much that way. Same can be done with soups and spaghetti. You should check out almond milk--way better than soy milk.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs?

I like to make "healthy huervos rancheros" in the morning, which is 2 fried (or you can scramble them) eggs over brown rice with salsa. Piece of fruit on the side.

Breakfast tacos with corn tortillas. Spread some avocado on the tortillas, add scrambled eggs and salsa. Piece of fruit on the side.

When you say "porridge", do you mean oatmeal? I make oatmeal with water, then add banana, cinnamon, walnuts. Kind of like banana bread.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a lot of different recipes for egg mugs. It is eggbeaters with different toppings prepared in the microwave. Very good, both fast and easy. Search for Egg Mug Recipes.
  • mbrewster7
    mbrewster7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like scrambled egg whites with spinach! Cereal and almond milk is good too, if the cereal is healthy. You could make smoothies with bananas, frozen berries, and peanut butter. Some types of oatmeal can be healthy, and you can use almond milk in that also.
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is from my no-wheat-chocolate pancakes :) I love them! I am terrible with computers so I can't upload a picture here :( But if you're interested PM me for the recipe :) (all the others too!)
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You could also add Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles (70 calories for 1/2 cup) and whatever veggies you like to your eggs..
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Is yogurt also out for you? Greek yogurt with blueberries and a sprinkle of Kashi is one of my favorite breakfasts in the world.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    toast with pb and banana
    scrambled eggs with veggies and salsa

have you tried oatmeal with coconut milk? that's pretty good, tasty with cinnamon and blueberries mixed in
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll second the suggestion of trying almond milk, I usually pick up the unsweetened vanilla version. That's what I like best for oatmeal or cereal or smoothies.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    What if you just ate dinner leftovers or a sandwich, maybe?
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    FYI - for American posters - porridge is English for oatmeal and OP does not like it :smile:

I like all the egg ideas.

A bagel with light cream cheese and wafer thin ham, plus a piece of fruit is not a light breakfast but it keeps me full most of the day so I am not ravenous at night.
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    Bumping for ideas, I need some breakfast inspiration too
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Add more stuff to your porridge- peanut butter, cinnamon, banana, nuts, crime frauche, honey, raisins, seeds.

Eggs in the microwave- add spinach, mushroom, tomato, cheese, ham, leftovers.

Make more of your toast toppings- smoothed avocado, humous, peanut butter, ham and tomatoes.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your health is more important than enjoying food.. You'd be surprised at what you can learn to like.. It's called "Re-educating your taste buds" as my nutrition teacher used to say...

By not eating the foods you say you do not like, you are going to miss out on a world of health benefits.. I say suck it up and figure out a way to get these foods into your body. I enjoy many foods today that I would have gagged on a few years back..

Good luck!
  • esugrue
    esugrue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've become a fan of egg white omelettes and spinach on a piece or grain toast.

I'm in Australia so we have different things, but you can buy a cheesy egg white omelette here in a carton, 100 cals per serving, add 1/2 cup chopped spinach and a piece of toast. Fills you up and before I would have hit someone who said I'd like egg whites let alone spinach, but I do!

Or add some spice add some salsa to the egg white, or mushrooms, etc.

Anyway, works for me,
  • VeePhillips
    VeePhillips Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To steer clear of bacon (I am not a fan of turkey bacon) I eat one or two hard boiled egg whites. No yolks. I bought this 7 grain pepridge farm bread that is only 45 calories per slice, so I will also have one slice of that with Olivio sprayed on it. Half an apple and old fashioned rolled oats, no milk, just 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and two packets of truvia.

Have you tried Almond Milk?

You can also make a breakfast burrito. Use egg whites, turkey sausage, low-fat cheese, salsa. I also use fat-free sour cream.
  • anassuhaimi
    Options
    1. 100g of fresh and raw pineapple (48 kcal)
    2. 100g of swamp cabbage (raw weight) (48kcal)
    3. 20g of prawn paste (53 kcal)
    4. freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice.

heat some water to boil in a cooking pot
    add some salt if you want
    while waiting for the water to boil, cut the swamp cabbage, make sure to cut the stem 1 inch long pieces.
    put the swamp cabbage in, let it boil for 5 minutes to kill parasites if any.
    take the swamp cabbage out, toss dry in a strainer.
    mix it with anything else in a bowl.
    eat...

100g of raw swamp cabbage (a.k.a kangkung) gives 200g boiled.

Total is 149 kcal.
    Sprinkle some sugar, say 5g, that'd make it 170kcal.

200g of boiled swamp cabbage makes me full as if I've had 200g of rice. But 200g of rice has ridiculous amount of calories.
    This is what I add to my meal, if I need to cut portion of rice while making sure that I'd feel full for 3-4 hours.
    If I'm having it with rice (it's common in some southeast asian culture to have rice for breakfast) i'd skip the prawn paste.

USDA data for swamp cabbage : http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3250?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=11503&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=

all items can be bought at good asian shop.

there are few variation of prawn paste, look for "petis udang" (the malaysian/indonesian name for it).

other items that you may add : fried tempeh, bean sprouts, fried tofu, ground peanuts, mango, cucumber.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I second that almond milk is pretty good (the unsweetened, unflavored ones). I personally think soy milk is gross.
    As for breakfast ideas, I usually eat eggs, and bacon (turkey for me because pork upsets my stomach). Sometimes I add fruits to my breakfast or milk but that doesn't help you.

I second quiche and fritattas; they are great ways to get veggies in. I also love potatoes with breakfast as hashbrowns or homefries. I sometimes also mix a banana and egg together and cook like a pancake, it's pretty good. Omelettes are a traditional favorite. I slather mine in mango salsa.

Smoothies/milkshakes are an okay way to go (just watch the sugar). Easiest is just leftovers. I also like fruit and whipped cream as a treat. I like fruit myself, but you could mix a little chocolate syrup or cocoa powder and honey into the cream before you whip it for a light mousse. Fats will help you feel full and while cream is high calorie, you can eat a 1/3 with chocolate syrup for less than 300 calories. It just depends on what you want for your calories.

Eating pancakes and waffles won't stop you from losing weight either. I'd watch the syrup on them though. I started measuring my syrup and found my pancakes sometimes had 1/4 cup of syrup in them. Two tablespoons or less is fine for me now.

Finally, try old things in new ways when you have time. You might surprise yourself. I think most finicky eaters just haven't been exposed to foods enough.