is it possible to loose?

Options
About 30lbs by April? I'm going to florida and I just want to be thinner than I am now. I'm currently 170 and would love to get down to 145 by April 7th. Is this possible? If so any recommendations on how to succed?

Replies

• pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    Just saw your question on another board about "starvation mode". Troll much?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 2 months (assuming you're going in the beginning of April)? Unlikely. Maybe 10 lbs? You'd still be thinner than you are now.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    170-145 = 25

25 pounds x 3500 calories/pound = 87,500 calories

87,500/70 days = 1250 calories/day

So you need to consume 1250 fewer calories per day than you burn. That's too much of a deficit for someone your size IMO. If you want to be that aggressive, you should seek the advice of a doctor or nutritionist before beginning.
  • Marie80brown
    Options
    I would say it depends how far you are into your healthy journey. If its the begining you might drop a lot of weight quickly. If you have been at it a while, weight loss might be a slow crawl. I started off at 162 lbs on Dec 16 2013. This was the first time getting back into working out and eating healthy. As of this morning i'm down to 146.5. I think eating healthy and exercising was a shock to my body so I drop a good bit of water weight and some fat. Actually I dropped 12 lbs in two weeks. The other 4.5 lbs came off the next four week. so since the initial drop i'm losing about 1.25 lbs a week. I don't know if that helped
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no. Maybe a pound a week.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The quicker it comes off, the quicker it'll go back on = waste of time
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Not likely. You can start now and just be happy with what you do lose though. Don't put a time restraint on weight loss, that's just setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.
  • krystaal870
    Options
    I would say it depends how far you are into your healthy journey. If its the begining you might drop a lot of weight quickly. If you have been at it a while, weight loss might be a slow crawl. I started off at 162 lbs on Dec 16 2013. This was the first time getting back into working out and eating healthy. As of this morning i'm down to 146.5. I think eating healthy and exercising was a shock to my body so I drop a good bit of water weight and some fat. Actually I dropped 12 lbs in two weeks. The other 4.5 lbs came off the next four week. so since the initial drop i'm losing about 1.25 lbs a week. I don't know if that helped

I started 3 weeks ago and I was 180. At least be 150 before I go I will be happy.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As others have said, no, it is most likely not possible unless you are an extremely athletic/muscular person with a lot of extra bodyfat to shed. According to the numbers, you would need a deficit of 1250cals/day.

Maximum transfer of energy from fat is about 32cals/lb--which means you would need about 39lbs of burnable (non-essential, so for females >6%) fat.

Assuming you are 35% BF (Average for non-athletic females), you currently have 51 lbs of non-essential fat. However, in reality, without drugs or extreme training and time, you will not be able to drop below 18% BF, which would leave you with about 30lbs of BF.

All this means that you would have to be in a perfect caloric deficit with no reduction of TDEE and in well-trained shape (not Jillian Michaels Abs Blaster shape, or whatver, but true athletic condition) to safely burn away those 30lbs. Not to mention the mental discipline of maintaining such a deficit (not to mention physical pain) would be excruciating.

All in all, I would say no, it is not possible.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I started 3 weeks ago and I was 180. At least be 150 before I go I will be happy.
    It took me 5 months to lose my first 30. For reference I am 5'10" and started at 188Lbs with a bf% of 38%.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Why does your profile say you weigh 130 and are trying to get down to 115? Have you gained 50 pounds since you started on MFP?
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I'm confused. You started at 180 3 weeks ago, are at 170 now, but your ticket says you've lost 0 pounds. This math isn't adding up for me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not likely.

Start losing in a healthy way today, 1-2 lbs/wk, lift some weights, and you'll be very proud of your body by April. Don't worry about having a goal weight by that deadline.