constant lower back pain, help!

Options
I have went to the chiropractor, have been fixed, went to the family dr. clean there, but my lower back is killing me still. I never workout without holding my abs in tight, I make sure I use my legs to pick anything up, I have tried using the cobra to stretch it out I sleep 8 hours, I do walk lots, I always have my nike shocks on, so I have support. So, have any suggestions, please my back hurts, especially by dinnertime. Oh, and it feels really tight by dinnertime, and I stretch for about 10 minutes before I go to sleep and it doesn't help much. I don't know what is wrong, or how I can relieve the pain, I have even thought maybe the walking was doing it, but my family Dr. said it should not bother my back as long as I have support with my abs being tight, well their sucked up in there, I make sure.Thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• mrayniak
    Options
    Don't mess with the back pain - and a good chiro should be able to help - if not go see a spine doctor and get an MRI - I tried treatment for 2 months before getting an MRI and found out I had a bulged disc in my back. Recorvery has been long but I am currently pain free.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is the same thing I had. When I first started hiking this year my lower back just killed me. I sometime would have to rest about every 1/2 mile. However as soon as I sat down the pain would ease considerably. At times it felt swollen. I was miserable. Eventually it disappeared. I think the reason is I worked my torso at the gym. Mainly setups and also some assorted other exercises. Now I hike 5.5 mile with no pain and no rest. It took months to work through this. At times, like you, I was holding my abs in and restricting my breathing.

Try setups and modified push-ups.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How is your bed? Do you need to flip the mattress or invest in a better one? When I was younger I slept on a futon for a while and god it killed me! Also we bought a brand new bed and the middle of it was bowing - we had to put books and crap under it so we could have a painless sleep.

As far as exercising goes, there are types of exercise that are notoriously bad for your back, like laying on your back and holding your legs off the ground 6 inches.

Sometimes the reason your lower back hurts is because your hamstrings need to be stretched. Maybe try a light hatha yoga and see if that improves your back at all.

Good luck!!
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    Im no stranger to back pain. I've lived with it all my life. IF its tight muscles I have gotten an enormous amount of relief from something a friend of mine told me about a couple years ago. And have given it as presents to everyone I know that is miserable too. It is called The Miracle Ball. I found it at Barnes & Noble. Im not sure where else its available. Im sure you could look it up online. The kit comes with two soft 8" balls and a book written by Elaine Petrone. Costs less than $20. My husband recent tried them and couldn't believe how well it worked. All you do is lay on the floor with them, put the balls under the area where the tight muscle is and relax letting your body weight do the work.

I've also had some orthotics made by a professional. That has also helped.

Good luck. I hope you find out the cause soon. I know its not fun living with pain everyday.
  • charmed2570
    Options
    I'm sorry I guess I should have clarified that it does not feel that it is my spine, it is the actual muscles, and especially my left hip area as well as lower back muscles. Thanks again for info.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd go back to the chiro. It sounds like your muscles have go into a spasm as a result of imbalance. The chiro will be able to massage them out and show you stretches.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I have the same problem but we know that since I was in a car wreck 5 years ago, I have damaged the nerves in my back and my sciatic drives me crazy. I was doing my workout on Sunday and part of my right leg and tush went numb. That is normal for me so I just work through it. I have a chiro that adjusts me once a week and a massage therapist that works on me once a week also. The back doctor I saw wanted to do surgery but I told him on if and when I could no longer walk. That is part of the reason I am working to get this weight off so my back will hopefully kinda straighten up. I also have bulging disks in my lower back area from a fall when I was younger so needless to say my lower back is a mess. I work through the pain, as Jillian would say, and I hot shower as soon as I get home. Then I ice it down after that and it helps a lot. I hope this helps you. If not, sorry for my rambling.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    *******It is called The Miracle Ball. I found it at Barnes & Noble. Im not sure where else its available. Im sure you could look it up online. The kit comes with two soft 8" balls and a book written by Elaine Petrone. Costs less than $20.*****
    My mom was in an accident and messed up her back. When I saw the balls I got those for her. She does them every night and it has helped her tremendously. They are very good at stretching those muscles. Excellent idea. Also doing some yoga is a very good idea as well. I do the light yoga msyelf. I am not so sure on the cobra as that might agravate the spot.
    I found out that how far your pain radiates can be an indicator of what type of pain you have. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritus in my 30's. Seems the pain for that goes from your back to above your knee. If the pain should go below your knee and wrap around your ankle that means you could be looking at a disc issue. I have both. From what you are saying it is mainly in what you believe is a muscle.
    I also have a leg that is shorter and wear an insert to balance it out. I found a really great place online that sells them and all kinds of foot and back related products. The site is www.footsmart.com. They have a couple of diagrams on their site of different types of foot/back problems and what you can put in your shoes to alieviate the situation. And they go into female versus male walking issues ei-how are bodies are built and how the way we walk, stand, can effect our backs. They also sell these totally slammin running shoes that have metal springs inside. I went through shoes every 3 months till I got a pair of these. But anyway, I would totally suggest the site. They may have a diagram of where you are experiencing the pain, what it is, and what you can do to help it not happen.
    Hope this helps you out.
    jac
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have went to the chiropractor, have been fixed, went to the family dr. clean there, but my lower back is killing me still. I never workout without holding my abs in tight, I make sure I use my legs to pick anything up, I have tried using the cobra to stretch it out I sleep 8 hours, I do walk lots, I always have my nike shocks on, so I have support. So, have any suggestions, please my back hurts, especially by dinnertime. Oh, and it feels really tight by dinnertime, and I stretch for about 10 minutes before I go to sleep and it doesn't help much. I don't know what is wrong, or how I can relieve the pain, I have even thought maybe the walking was doing it, but my family Dr. said it should not bother my back as long as I have support with my abs being tight, well their sucked up in there, I make sure.Thanks ahead of time.

How old is the mattress you sleep on at night, is it worn out and knackered? If your mattress is not supportive, you could be twisted all wrong whilst you sleep and lets face it, we spend hours and hours on the things.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that if your hamstrings are tight, it does not allow your lower back to release. A buddy of mine competes in strongman comps and he had lower back pain and found it was due to tight hamstrings. Try stretching out your hamstrings every chance you get throughout the day. Doesn't take much, just bend over and touch (or try) your toes. Hold it for ten seconds or so. You could also kick a leg up on a chair and lean forward leading with your chest.

Good luck!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor will send you to a physical therapist. A good therapist can figure out just what muscles are the issue and give you some exercises to target those areas. I have a couple bulging discs in my back, and will get sciatica on occasion. Between my therapist and chiropractor I learned how to keep myself relatively pain free. On those occasions where I do have problems, a few days of ice and exercises I am good to go again. The therapist can also help you change your posture so your gait is not affecting your lower back. Just having strong abs isn't always enough, you also need to strengthen the sides, back and thigh muscles.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I guess I should have clarified that it does not feel that it is my spine, it is the actual muscles, and especially my left hip area as well as lower back muscles. Thanks again for info.

Do setups. If you are holding your abs in then that tells the story. When reflecting on myself, I had a desk job and then I spent too much time on the computer at home. Those things weaken your back muscles.

I don't quite understand it but the abs have quite a bit to do with back support. Another thing I do is lateral pull-downs. They seem to stretch the back. You can also use the pulley machine to exercise the back. Use light weights, put your arms straight out. Keep the arms straight and raise the weights by turning you torso, do sets on each side.

This stuff takes time and you should do it slowly. Oh I use to take aspirin. Not that I am recommending that.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My fiance, Dan, has a bulged disc in his lower back that is killing him constantly. He used to go to the chiropractor, but that became too expensive after a while and was only a temporary fix. Is there anything else he can do to eliminate the pain?

Shannon
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    My fiance, Dan, has a bulged disc in his lower back that is killing him constantly. He used to go to the chiropractor, but that became too expensive after a while and was only a temporary fix. Is there anything else he can do to eliminate the pain?

Shannon
    [/quote

I wrote about the Miracle Balls earlier which is great for the muscles. I also have an inversion table that is very good for his type of problem. I love mine just takes alittle getting used to. Have him do alittle research on it.
  • Luneytoonz
    Luneytoonz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor will send you to a physical therapist. A good therapist can figure out just what muscles are the issue and give you some exercises to target those areas. I have a couple bulging discs in my back, and will get sciatica on occasion. Between my therapist and chiropractor I learned how to keep myself relatively pain free. On those occasions where I do have problems, a few days of ice and exercises I am good to go again. The therapist can also help you change your posture so your gait is not affecting your lower back. Just having strong abs isn't always enough, you also need to strengthen the sides, back and thigh muscles.

I agree with MzBug. Try to see a physical therapist. I have issues with my back too. I've worked in Healthcare for many years and between my weight and helping patients, I have some days when I really hurt. I just had an MRI and I have an appointment with my doctor soon so I can set up physical therapy. I definitely DO NOT want surgery unless it's my last option.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I used to have chronic back pain. Turned out weak core muscles were to blame and the back began to hurt when those muscles got tired. The problem gradually disappeared when I began to do ab and lower back exercises.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Shannon

Yes there is something he can do. Get a cold pack, you can purchase the blue gel ones from Chemists or a Chiropractor's practice, put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. Then Dan must put that cold pack onto the affected area for around 20 minutes, make sure the cold pack is not straight onto his skin though, he could end up with frost-damage. He can do that as many times as he wishes.

The bulge needs to be reduced, cold will do that, heat will expand it, do not put heat directly on it, it makes it worse and to say that sort of pain is excrutiating is putting it lightly as he will well know. Everytime it starts to play up, stick that cold pack on it. I have had that problem myself and it worked 100% for me, hopefully it will do the same for him.

Wishing him all the best.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get him to do some basic yoga poses to strength and stretch the area, but he's been fighting me... obviously because it hurts. Thanks, will give all of these suggestions a try.

Shannon