For Successful Losers: Do You Still See Yourself as Fat?

Options
This is for all those who have reached, or are pretty close, to reaching their goals.

I've been reading some interesting thoughts from others who fit in this category regarding self perception.

Some adhere to the thought that their "fat selves" are behind them. They no longer associate themselves with who they were in that state, almost as if it's a different person.

While others still see themselves as essentially fat, no matter what their bodies look like now.

How are you seeing yourself these days? Are you adapting to the "new" you to the point of releasing the "old" you? Or do you feel mostly the same? Or even protective of your former fat self?

Replies

• Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Free bump as I'd like to know the answer to this too. I see absolutely 0 difference after what I've lost so far (though I'm nowhere near my goal).
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I answered your question down in the motivation section :)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I definitely still see "fat fat fat" in the mirror. I'm still very slightly overweight, but nothing like I was before. I think it just takes time to let your brain catch up.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I see myself as slimmer, but still not as slim as I am in pictures. I hope that makes sense.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm curious as well.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Not anymore, but it took a professional to measure my new body fat % before my own perception started to change. Self image is a weird thing, sometimes...
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    I see myself as slim and I really like how I look. I still want to improve muscle but I am happy.
    My family now thinks I look too skinny though. Can't please everyone!
  • beckieleigh23
    beckieleigh23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't look at myself as fat but when I look in the mirror, I'm either really hard on myself because I notice the flaws that I do have, or other times I don't recognize myself and can't believe how far I've come. When I look at old pictures, that's when it really hits me. The biggest eye-opener lately has been when I buy clothes. I've never been able to fit into a small and now that I can, it's mind blowing to me.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i definitely don't have the body of my dreams yet.. but, after two years maintaining , i don't see myself as fat anymore.
    Takes time..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes but I still have rolls.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I still feel fat, I can see changes in pictures and notice changes in the mirror.. but I still have yet to adjust my mindset.
  • waltbran
    Options
    I still have trouble seeing my weight loss when I look in the mirror, but I see it when my body achieves something physically that I know it couldn't before. Running two miles and then three and then five, or being proud of biking 5 miles, the 15, then 30. I can clearly see those things!

I definitely feel like a new person.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    there are times I have to do a double take because of how much I don't recognize myself, and then there are other times when I feel as if it doesn't look like I've lost any weight at all. self perception is a *****.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    In the mirror, I think i look like I am still the size 18 girl. I take a pic, looking in the same mirror, in the same pose, at the same time, and I see how the rest of the world sees me, aa the size 8 girl. I take pics pretty much daily because my brain messes with me so much, I try to prove to myself I'm not that fat girl anymore.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes :( .... at 5 ft 11 in 151.4 lbs 17.93% BF ..... at least half the time I feel like I'm still 265lbs ..... grrrrrrrrrr! FML!!!! I will be Forever Fat and Forever Alone :( sniff sniff ...... except that I'm sexy and I know it and some lucky girl is going to see what a catch I am and lock this down with the quickness!

That old self image that was burnt into your mind for years can be tough to shake... I'm schizo about it now... I know it will pass eventually... sigh.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump. Curious to hear from more people!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am still 198 lb but my personal goal is around 180 (I've lost a total of 109 lb thus far)...so I guess I'd qualify here.

I am still fat I suppose but I DON'T see myself that way anymore. I am honestly impressed every time I look in a mirror. I can't believe how normal my body looks, especially my side view, my legs, my forearms. Some parts of me look almost slender and it weirds me out. But I feel like I look old now and not that great. I have never considered myself any great beauty and I do see that I'm pleasant enough looking but I guess I kind of thought I wasn't "pretty" because of my extra weight and the more weight I lose, I just see that I am not ever going to be "pretty" in that way and that is totally okay. I do not really care so much as I know my husband finds me very sexy, and I feel that I'm fairly stylish and that's more what I am aiming for along with being healthier & stronger.

As for the way I view my fatter self...I am rather protective I think. I wouldn't like to hear anyone say things like "You looked grossly fat before", it would upset me deeply. If I see old photos I'm not grossed out. In fact even though I see the roundness of my face then, hint of a double chin, big fat rolls, I still think I look basically like the same me.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know that I'm not really all that fat anymore but I am still self-conscious of my body and think my stomach and legs are still fat. It's hard to break out of the old perception, but I still have work to do. Not sure if I will ever be totally happy with my body!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP at 167lbs in July 2013. I now weigh 122lbs. I stopped feeling fat once I hit a healthy BMI of 132lbs in November. IDK why something just clicked & I felt healthy & happy. I feel more self conscious about parts of my body now instead of my body as a whole. In general, I'm happy with what I see in the mirror. I look in the mirror & am motivated to work harder. I don't see or feel like the old me at all! I am more confident now.