Is anyone as long as I am when it comes to exercising?

Options
I've hired a trainer who was teaching one way, then he moved. So, new trainer...new way. Everything I'm reading is so contradictory. I exercise at night because I work. I was told to try to incorporate at least 20 min. in the mornings. This guy said no. Exercising in the mornings leads to a higher chance of heart attack. SCARY. Since I DO go to the gyms Saturday mornings. I was told, separate workouts. I did that. Mon-cardio then strength training(chest, shoulders, triceps. Tuesdays cardio legs butt abs Wednesday cardio biceps back. I read the new rules of lifting for woman. Totally different mind set. New trainer? 2 days upper body with cardio. 4 days cardio and lower body.

I'm more stressed out NOW than I was. I just want to do this right and I'm frustrated

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why are you concerned about having a heart attack in the morning? do you have an underlying heart or blood pressure issue? if so then definitely get meds to control that.

what are your goals in terms of working out? dont just say "weight loss either :tongue: " your goals should help determine how you workout
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The problem is I do not think that there is any one right way. Unless you have real medical problems your body should tell you if it feels right. I work out early every morning before work and I do at least 45 minutes of cardio every time and then Tuesdays and Thursdays I add at least 25 minutes of strength training alternating free weights with the circuit machines. With this regimen I have managed to lose almost 40 lbs and dropped three pant sizes. So gather the information, listen to each trainer but then it is trial and error to find what works for you.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Reading too much on the internet,lol. No, I don't have an issue that I'm aware of. The trainer at the gym mentioned it and I started reading, a little too much.
    Honestly, weight loss is my main goal. I want to be stronger, but mostly I want to have some endurance. I want to not get out of breath going on hikes with my kids. I want to actually be able to hike a really hike with my kids. I want to be healthy and fit.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Time of day has no influence on risk of "heart attack". Exercise at the time that suits you best, that way you are more likely to stick to it in the long run.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want...whether that is working out in the morning, or at night, whatever. Clearly there are differing opinions, so that probably means there is no one right way.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately many trainers seem to get a bit set in their ways.
    Often what they teach may not be the best possible for you, but may be the best possible that the average person WANTS.
    For instance, if a trainer said "ok, we're just going to do 3 weight lifting moves and 3x5 of each of those.... you can do some cardio in your own time"... a lot of people might wonder why they are paying them. Both that they can do it themselves AND that it doesn't seem "worthwhile", it doesn't feel like they're working so hard maybe. Yet something like that (starting strength) is an excellent routine to do.
    So they tend to add in a lot of 'accessory' work and weird exercises that aren't REALLY necessary, but do make it seem like they're being useful offering knowledge from their professional opinion - while in reality that sort of things is more for seasoned body builders or sports people looking to improve a specific area.

What time you exercise doesn't particularly matter from everything I've seen. Do it when you want. No need to do mornings as well.
    The only timing I would worry about is to either do cardio after weight lifting on the same day, or on a seperate day - otherwise the cardio may harm the lifting. If there's a good gap after lifting when you do cardio, with some food in-between, it may be even better. But, unless you're doing a massive cardio session, not a big issue to do it straight after - if it's reasonable big, consider having some 'nutrition' before, if you didn't have a big meal before.

NROLW is very well respected. I would follow that personally, and ask your trainer to help you with that. That has the advantage you can do it elsewhere and so on.
    Or look to something like Starting strength - but that's yet more to read up on.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    Options
    Thank you, for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

I was doing an 45 min of cardio then 30 min. of strength so I can definitely reverse that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Time of day has no influence on risk of "heart attack". Exercise at the time that suits you best, that way you are more likely to stick to it in the long run.

actually it. heart attacks and strokes happen most often at the beginning of the day closest to when you awaken because there's a natural increase in your blood pressure. this isnt really an issue for most healthy people, but if there are underlying issues like uncontrolled hypertension then this is a legitimate concern.

but is your issues are controlled then it shouldnt make a difference. OP says that as far as she knows she doesn't have any issues, but really OP, not trying to be funny, with being 95 pounds overweight you really should first get blood tests from your doctor and get a general OK to start an exercise program from your doctor.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    Options
    I talked to my DR before starting the gym. I've been going for about 3 months. Including Saturday mornings. I have severe anxiety and I think I just freak myself out, reading too much. And it gets so discouraging to NOT know what to do. It should be easy(to understand). Exercise , eat right...lose weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no "way".

There are many "ways" and the routine and the workout program should be tailored to the needs, goals, and abilities of the individual.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

I was doing an 45 min of cardio then 30 min. of strength so I can definitely reverse that.

you should probably be lifting three days a week say Mon, Wens Fri and then do caridio on off days - tues/thursday…so monday - chest/arms; tues cardio; wens - legs; thurs cardio; friday back/shoulders ….that is if you want to do that much cardio it is not necessary, but it does help to increase calorie burns in the beginning...
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The truth !! find what works for you, and keep on keepin on.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

actually it. heart attacks and strokes happen most often at the beginning of the day closest to when you awaken because there's a natural increase in your blood pressure. this isnt really an issue for most healthy people, but if there are underlying issues like uncontrolled hypertension then this is a legitimate concern.

but is your issues are controlled then it shouldnt make a difference. OP says that as far as she knows she doesn't have any issues, but really OP, not trying to be funny, with being 95 pounds overweight you really should first get blood tests from your doctor and get a general OK to start an exercise program from your doctor.

You are correct, I should have said "time of day to exercise". The phenomena you describe we call waking up dead in emergency medicine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want...whether that is working out in the morning, or at night, whatever. Clearly there are differing opinions, so that probably means there is no one right way.

when it comes to lifting this is not the best advice as there is a right way and a wrong way to do things…I did things the wrong way for about three years and it seriously hampered my gains….
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ... The only timing I would worry about is to either do cardio after weight lifting on the same day, or on a seperate day - otherwise the cardio may harm the lifting. If there's a good gap after lifting when you do cardio, with some food in-between, it may be even better. But, unless you're doing a massive cardio session, not a big issue to do it straight after - if it's reasonable big, consider having some 'nutrition' before, if you didn't have a big meal before.

I am just starting out - on all levels - and want to incorporate weight training in my repertoire. Can someone please explain the "why" of above? thanks!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The truth !! find what works for you, and keep on keepin on.

Ditto.
  • maygs65
    Options
    . It should be easy(to understand). Exercise , eat right...lose weight.

It is that easy. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.

The complications arise when you start focusing on different types of exercise. The truth is that it doesn't really matter what type of exercise you do. I reckon that if your goal is to be able to go for hikes with the family, then hiking/walking should form a significant part of your training.

The key, especially if you are new to exercise or, like me, have been resting in a very good paddock for several years, take it easy.

A piece of wisdom given me a very long time ago - "If you under-train you wont get your PB. If you over-train you wont make the start line!"

Don't be in a hurry. You probably put your weight on over a few (several) years. Be prepared to spend a couple of years getting rid of 95 lbs. You will be all the healthier and happier for taking your time.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Honestly, weight loss is my main goal. I want to be stronger, but mostly I want to have some endurance. I want to not get out of breath going on hikes with my kids. I want to actually be able to hike a really hike with my kids. I want to be healthy and fit.
    Weight lifting is good for keeping muscle while dieting and for burning calories.
    It will have some affect on endurance - I started on a 60kg squat or so (a little under what I could reasonably do) - I now warm up on more than that and it feels like I'm standing up with a backpack on now, with maximum for 5 reps more than double that.
    So, every step going up a hill my body's having to use less of it's capability.
    However, cardio is going to bring the best gains for things like hiking with your kids - if you can get to the point you can run that distnace off-road, for instance, then you're going to be fine walking.

Were it me, I'd actually look to see if there was a running club locally - most seem to have an active 'beginners' scene - it's the biggest group by far in my local one. Hopefully you'll fairly quickly get to the point that a long hike won't be too tiring.
    I am just starting out - on all levels - and want to incorporate weight training in my repertoire. Can someone please explain the "why" of above? thanks!
    Cardio to some degree is more about working your heart, lungs and so on, rather than just your muscles, which you're not stressing in the same way.
    I'd say the main reason is glycogen stores - you'll deplete them doing either, but they're particularly important for the weights, where your body won't try and burn fat for the short but intense bursts.
    So you'll do better on the weights, hopefully meaning more improvement and possible a bigger 'afterburn' affect.
    With them depleted, the body is more likely to go for fat stores for it's energy when doing cardio - just what you want.

There's a worry that if you go for a long cardio session, you may start going to catabolism - burning muscle. Obviously if you get some fuel in to you, you're less likely to get that far.
    I have my own weights set up and if doing the two on the same day try to get a good few hours between them - that way if I go for a decent run with my running club in the evening, I can get the best results for cardio improvement. I generally eat back my exercise calories and work to a fixed deficit, so I'd prefer to see best performance from the cardio and fat burn at other times.

I've been playing cardio after weights or on alternate days. I tend to actually get worse DOMS (Delayed onset muscle sorness) from running than weights, so I'm finding it may be better on the same day as weights, giving me two days to recover before the next weights session. Saying that, the DOMS hasn't been so bad this year - but then last year I was running at a bit faster pace.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ummmm- are you for some reason really high risk for a heart attack?

If not, then here's what I would suggest.
    Strength train 30-45 mins 3x/wk, compound lifts, full body
    Cardio 3-4x/week, moderate intensity
    Rest or very light activity 1-2 days/wk

All of it can be done any time of day, whenever fits your schedule best.