For the people with nice abs .

Options
How long did it take you to get your abs . How drastic did you change your diet . how many lbs did u have to loose for them to come in

Replies

• fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    am i in the nice abs crew?
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Okay fishnbrah, you didn't answer the questions….how long did it take you, etc, etc?

I have been doing all types of core and ab work for a while and, yes, I'm much older than both of you. BUT...Diet makes a huge difference, because if you've got a lot of weigh to lose, you're not really going to see the muscles below the fat. You'll feel them and feel better, but may not visibly notice that 6-pack. I lost around 80 pounds and still have about 25 to go, but even with the cortisol fat layer right in my midsection, I can still see the abs pack happening under there….LOL….make sense?

I have some restrictions because of my back, but check out bodybuilding.com, live strong.com, etc. There's so many sites to help.

You should see result pretty quickly if you're working hard, focusing on correct form and control of your abdominal muscles….crunches, diagonal crunches for obliques, leg lifts (various types), any type of core work, etc. By the way, I don't mean do 6 million reps either…form and function are most important and you'll get that 6 pack.

Do you have a lot of weight to lose or are you just trying to tighten up?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It took me about seven or eight months. I needed to lose about 15 pounds. I didn't need to change my diet. I just needed to eat less.

They will improve more if I maintain and lift. I know this from past experience:)
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is genetic too. My mum is a body builder and she doesn't work abs at all - but had an 8 pack lol Her diet is very restrictive though and she trains heavy weights 5 days a week plus at comp time adds cardio.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    not sure how many pounds it was but I had to get to about 11% body fat ..and even know I am still working to get them to show more…I would say I have a visible four pack and still working on the rest..

if you want to get there I would say ..

eat in deficit
    hit macro targets
    lift heavy preferably with compound movements
    train abs about once a week..

depending on how much body fat you have, you may or may not want to do cardio …
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    am i in the nice abs crew?

if that is your real profile pic, then yes, you are in …:) LOL
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    DUDE. Stop obsessing about 'gettin' abzzz' and get your diet in check.

You can talk about how other people have achieved their goals all you like but until you get your own routine in order it is completely pointless!

Just figure out a way to eat within your calorie limits and stick to it. That is all you need to worry about right now.

/thread.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

You can talk about how other people have achieved their goals all you like but until you get your own routine in order it is completely pointless!

Just figure out a way to eat within your calorie limits and stick to it. That is all you need to worry about right now.

/thread.

True this^
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    however long it takes you to get around 10-12% bodyfat, should start seeing some abs. Your nutrition will be key, and heavy compound lifts. I don't do any crunches or sit ups, but I do throw in some planks, L-sits once in a while.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    5'9, 149, 29/30 waist. Still 19% BF. I need to lose BF, but not lose more weight. That is the hard part. I just don't have a muscular build. This time of year does not make it any more motivating to workout. Since losing the weight, always feel cold.

From what I have read, to really get your abs to show, you need to get down to about 7% BF.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

/thread.

True this^
    +2
    It is about lowering your bf%, here are some links to maintain LBM whilst losing weight...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As I'm on a journey to see my abs, I've been talking to people who have done it from a great deal of weight--anyone with a body fat % of 30 or more.

They all say it took them about a year and to get the abs to pop involved a very structured and clean eating pattern, they watched everything, and for about a month or so, didn't eat a thing that they didn't know the calories of and didn't have nutrients.

Almost any resistance workout and exercise will work and develop the abs. It's not about bulking your abs, instead, it's about shedding the fat from your abs, so the muscles can show.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    True all of the above…to some degree. At your age, 20, it's most likely that you really don't need to get your body fat so low, but yes, you do need to get any extra weight off…if that's your situation. Different ab and core workouts regularly, not once a week, you should see some results within a couple of months, but again that's only if you are at normal (whatever that is) or average weight. If you have a lot of weight to lose, do that with focus on strength training, abs and cardio.

And I say, stress if you want….but get moving and just do something! :)