Fitbit Flex vs HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything to guesstimate calories.

I use my HRM to track my heart rate and time spent in different ranges... Part of improving my cardiovascular fitness ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I know this discussion has been brought up several times, but alas, I feel the need to talk about it.

I'm really torn on which to buy: the fitbit flex/force or a HRM. Which is better for my weightloss needs? I would a product that combines both.

What have you found has helped you to meet your weightloss and health goals?
    I just got a Fitbit flex and really like it. I've had a Bodybugg in the past too and like it better than an HRM, but wearing that damn armband after awhile got tedious. Not to mention you had to pay a monthly fee to track with it.
    With Fitbit you don't and it's very comfortable.
    HRM's aren't good for ACCURATELY reading any anaerobic activity (weight lifting or even yoga) and though Fitbit isn't as accurate at cycling or stepmill work, it does read anaerobic activity more accurately.
    Also you shouldn't wear an HRM (the one's with chest straps are the most accurate) all day, whereas a Fitbit is just a band on your wrist, or clipped to your garment.
    All in all you need to figure out what type of physical activity you're going to engage in more. If it's cycling or spin, I'd get an HRM. If it's kickboxing, step aerobics, or lifting, I'd get a Fitbit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit One for over a year and wear it daily. I like being able to look at where I am for the day. Motivational! And it works great with MFP. I have both apps on my phone and they are great! I also have a HRM that I use when I exercise but I'm not sure about it. Today I did 11 miles in 33 min /avg speed 24 mph on my Spinner. The Spinner said I burned 611 calories which I thought seemed high. The Fitbit said I burned 553 which I thought might be about right. (I really worked up a sweat!) BUT my HRM said I burned 131! Shoot, I burn that much with just 25 min of low impact exercises! When I entered the info into Map My Ride, it said I burned 1100 calories! I think the Fitbit was the closest and that's what I went with.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am currently loving the Polar Loop. I have both the wrist thing (the Loop) and a bluetooth HRM that goes with it. I like it because I wear the Loop all day and the HRM chest strap when exercising. I like the combination because I do alot of strength training and core which includes activity that is not picked up on the Loop alone. It also picks up activity on the stationary bike.

Be warned, however. The setup is not as easy as advertised. It took a couple of days to pair the Loop with my phone. I am not sure why, but all of a sudden one day I got it to work. Once my phone was paired, the chest strap HRM was a breeze.

Since pairing everything, it has been working like a charm and I am really enjoying it.

Good luck.

PS - I love the bluetooth function - no interference with other HRM's in the gym!
  • debbie7373
    debbie7373 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump....to read later. Thanks guys!