Help with knee pain!

Options
Monday afternoon my right knee felt like it needed to pop. as the evening wore on it started hurting to walk up and down stairs. its kind of a sharp pain on the top of my knee and it feels like something is pulling. the last day I worked my legs was Saturday with plyo but as far as I know I didn't hurt it. it felt fine on sunday. I saw my chiropractor on Weds morning and got adjusted and he said my hips were way out of alignment so I was hoping that would help but it still really hurts to squat deep or walk down stairs. I've been taking it easy and icing it in hopes it will feel better. I still can move it lots of other way just not the deep bending moves. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For the best advice, talk to your doctor, but it sounds like an overuse injury. If it were me, I would put a knee brace on it and go easy on it for a while. Then wear the knee brace when I work out for a while.

Doctor will be able to tell for sure.

Blessings,
    Steven
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sounds like tendinitis to me. Just lay off it for awhile. Try to stretch your quads and strengthen your hamstrings. If it doesn't get better in a week or two, go see an orthopedist as you may have done something like tear your meniscus.
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been having knee pain this week too, I searched for it and the NHS advice is basically unless you have torn something like your cruciate ligament (which I'm sure you would know about if you had!) then rest is the key. My pain feels like my kneecap is out of line when I bend it rather than muscle pain.

Here is the website: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/knee-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I think icing it, wearing a brace/tubigrip and taking ibruprofen helps and if it doesn't get better in a week see your doctor.

Get well soon! x
  • theidlebee
    Options
    RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation should be a standard approach to any sudden onset single joint pain.

Stop Exercises that involve bending the knee for a few days, put a bag of frozen peas on it for ten to fifteen minutes at a time, use a brace / tubigrip as others have advised and if it is noticeably swollen then rest for periods of about half an hour with your knee above the level of your heart (this is easiest lying down with two or three pillows behind the affected leg).

If this doesn't settle it the see your doc

Hope it settles soon, been there myself.
  • nali_12
    nali_12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. As hard as it has been to let it rest I have been trying to do that and I've been icing it, wearing a brace etc. My thought was overuse as well but who has time to let it rest! ???? our mts finally got snow!!! I'm planning on calling an orthopedist today. I'd rather be safe than sorry and really injury it! Have a good day!!!
  • carlosc130
    Options
    Frozen peas helps with my knee pain. Any updates on your trip to the orthopedist?

I had a similar thing happen to me, unfortunately it left lingering knee pain from tim to time. I ended up getting a glucosamine, chondroitin, msm and turmeric supplement from Amazon. Check it out if you have lingering pain: http://www.amazon.com/Glucosamine-Sulfate-Chondroitin-Supplement-Turmeric/dp/B00DUMO9X4/ie=UTF8?m=A3OG9DHZ3GI58O&keywords=glucosamine+chondroitin+msm&tag=prpre-20

I hope that helps!