Just keep gaining weight!

Options
Ergh so for the past few months I have not lost a single pound but managed to gain 8lbs, the last 4lbs have gone on in the space of 2 weeks! I'm nearly at my wits end, almost to the point of jacking the gym in and eating a cheesecake because then I'd understand the gain!

I'm 5.6, weigh 180lbs and weight train three times a week (I understand this can cause a gain but 4lbs in two weeks!). I'm due to start training for a 5k next week so will be running three times a week as well as still hitting the weights.

I eat roughly 1800kcal per day with a split of 40% carbs, 30% fat & 30% protein. I drink between 2-3l of water per day. No coffee. Any 'treats' are on Friday and Saturday and even then it's controlled and I have one per day.

What the hell can I do to drop some fat! I still feel blooby even though im getting stronger!

Any help will be gladly appreciated! PS the photo is from last summer! I gained some fat after moving home and decorating for two weeks with no gas and no cooker!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Must try harder. Unfortunately the most likely scenario is that you are not being honest with the amount of calories you are eating and/or burning.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    water retention from weight training, completely normal, it'll go in a few weeks
  • 123sanbo
    Options
    if you try to hit the gym do mostly cardio workouts eg. try doing 10 min at your most intense cycling, jogging, fast walking, rowing or stair climbing. Just changing your routine could help to burn those calories. I do 3 machines and work at my most intense for 10 minutes solidly and then run to the next machine and do another 10 mins intense. when i do weights I also do similar routine. lift for 2 sets and run fast up and down for a count of 10 and then back to the next set etc. alternatively do jumping jacks or jog on the spot for a fast minute or so. try to relax by walking about instead of standing on one spot. in between sets walk, move don't sit down and don't stand.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so I'm not sure how to offer advice. Good luck figuring out what is not quite right.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're either eating more than you think or not burning as much. Go back to basics check all your calculations your calorie goal and check your weighing of food
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Try eating less, you've plenty to go at and a bigger deficit will work for a while yet. 1400 cals perhaps ?
  • Whambam087
    Options
    How did you decide on 1800 calories? Is that supposed to be your TDEE -20% or the calorie number myfitnesspal gave you to lose weight?
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 lb last week for no apparent reason and put it down to water storage in muscle as I am getting back into exercise after a knee injury in November. I'm 12lb up on my lowest and its taking some shifting. I don't do weights or the gym but I am currently trying short high intensity workouts. Just stick in there and try having a couple of low calorie days to keep your metabolism up.
  • rachaelsteve
    Options
    Yeh TDEE - 20% is 1797 and I have been sticking to that rigidly. I weigh everything as I don't trust myself and I know exactly what I'm putting in.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Yeh TDEE - 20% is 1797 and I have been sticking to that rigidly. I weigh everything as I don't trust myself and I know exactly what I'm putting in.
    My 2 cents...the TDEE method is just an estimate and its not 100% accurate. You are your own best experiment. If you are following that number and not losing weight then the calories are too high for you regardless of what they say. Why don't you try cutting a couple hundred calories say down to 1600 and see how that goes
  • rachaelsteve
    Options
    FINALLY think I found the cause! Suprisingly enough it was the pill I was taking. Changed to a new one and in 3 weeks I've lost the weight I had gained in those awful three weeks. And that is honestly the only thing I have changed!