What happens when you lack protein?

Options
My protein is sorely lacking, and has been for a long long time because I don't want to eat meat (I guess I'm currently a pescetarian). Still, I don't eat fish often, and I feel really apathetic towards eggs. As in, I don't really mind if I eat it but I don't eat it a lot due to my lack of interest.

My MFP protein goal is is roughly 75-90 (depending on exercise), but I never seem to hit it. I would say that I consume between 30 - 70g of protein on average.

My diet is unintentionally fruit-based... I eat WAY too many fruits but I still remain within my calorie range most of the time. This is ridiculous but today I ate 2 bananas, 1 apple, 2 tangerines, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, 2 prunes, and 2 green dates. As a result, I'm almost always over on carbs and sugar but I tend to ignore that.

I should also mention that I've been noticing hair fall (my appearance hasn't changed but I feel like I'm losing more hair than normal - but my nails seem fine), and I can never seem to get rid of my flabby-looking stomach despite the amount of HIIT cardio workouts & ab toning exercises I do. I wonder if these are related to my lack of protein? Would a lack of protein cause you to be skinny-fat? Does it even matter at all?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it is the second most important factor in retaining LBM while losing fat behind progressively overloaded resistance training.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The hair loss will almost definitely be a protein thing, but can also be affected by lack of other vitamins and minerals too.

It matters if you want to have a healthy body that can successfully do what you want it to do, e.g. exercise, feel good, look good.

I have had also had problems meeting my protein goal, so add things like egg whites, high-protein bread in place of normal bread, soya granules in dinner recipes, and am looking into getting some protein powder. Perhaps you could try something like that.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You Die
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    it is the second most important factor in retaining LBM while losing fat behind progressively overloaded resistance training.

This . In all seriousness
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, the hair loss is NOT necessarily a protein "thing". It can occur at very low protein, but it isn't usually the cause.

Primary reason for hair loss during dieting is fatty acid deficiency - if you are consuming a minimum of 50-60g of protein then I'd look at other nutrient deficiences like fats, biotin, etc. It sounds like you aren't eating a lot of fat either.

However, low protein isn't a good idea anyway - as Chris mentioned, it is a very important factor in retaining LBM. It is also essential in hormonal balance, mood and general health. If you can't reach a reasonable level of prtien with a lifestyle restrictive diet, then supplement.

As a young woman, by continuing to eat low protein, low fat you'll significantly increased your risk of thyroid problems, long term osteoporosis and issues with possible child-bearing.

Your body needs fats and protein.

And if you want to not "look flabby", as you say, look to resistance training of some sort, along with improved nutrition.

Edit: take a look at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Additionally - protein sources for a vegetarian or not: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    The dietary reference intake recommendation by the Institute of Medicine is roughly 0.66 g of protein per kilogram of body fat for adult males. Most "fitness" sites swear by a number much higher than that but without any sort of scientific basis for the recommendation. You are likely within the IM recommendation and you can hit that number

How? Add greek yogurt to a fruit shake...... include oat meal with your fruit in the morning.... augment lentils, beans or other similar foods high in protein..... look for a whey protein supplement to add to your fruit shake....

You can hit your number.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, dry skin is a lack-of-dietary-protein thing.

You're also at greater risk of fatty liver disease if you're protein deficient.

Eventually severe protein deficiency, even in the face of adequate calorie consumption, turns into a condition known as kwashiorkor. 30-70g per day should be enough to avoid this, but that is on the lower end of RDI quite often.

Add more legumes to your diet, and if you're a fan of it... try tofu.
  • risetoshineandrun
    Options
    Definitely need some protein! Sounds like you're just not a fan of meat - there's plenty of non-meat protein options - almonds, quinoa (rice), cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds, most beans, chia seeds. Enjoy! :)
  • 0nesecret
    0nesecret Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well, I just downed two handfuls of nuts after that and pulled my protein to about 53g today. Unfortunately I am nearing the end of my calorie limit but I'll try to ramp up my protein from now on.

and it's true that I don't eat a lot of fat either. I don't know exactly how much you need but I'm getting 20-40g on average.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you deplete your protein levels your farts smell like flowers.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Eventually severe protein deficiency, even in the face of adequate calorie consumption, turns into a condition known as kwashiorkor. 30-70g per day should be enough to avoid this, but that is on the lower end of RDI quite often.

There is no real Kwashiorkor in adults in America - a differential diagnosis would come out with a whole bunch of other things first. Even her low protein diet is more than enough to prevent that. Let's keep it real.
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had some bloodwork done recently and found out that I had low protein levels. I will agree with the dry skin my skin was always cracking and such. Also I was more fatigued, dry mouth, and always needed to pee. Now I have started to really track my diet and aim for at least 140 grams per day.
  • gaiaearth
    gaiaearth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I thought I'd reply to your post...I am unsure of protein deficient side effects BUT - I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Initially I probably didn't eat that well but I have found it is not difficult to get daily protein. (I also am a skier and biker so I need a little more protein then standard, I also don't worry about calories if they come from real foods.)

Here are my helpful hints.....
    NUTS, NUTS, NUTS - most days I eat an apple w/ peanut or almond butter as a snack. I also snack on any type of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews sometimes mix with pumpkin seeds & or dried fruit. Buy different kinds so you don't get bored. Cashew carrot spread is also great for sandwiches or snacks. Toss some dry toasted nuts in with roasted veggies, stir fry's, etc.

Hummus. Easy to make - both the tahini & the chick peas are great for protein. Good to have on hand too - snacks, spreads, dilute with rice wine vinegar for salad dressing, etc. Anything with chick peas.

BEANS - I do mushroom bean burgers (or lentil burgers) often, toss beans in veggie chilis, with rice & curry (or any sauce). on salads, roasted veggie quesidillas (I skip the cheese, but either way)

Mentioning lentils - LENTILS :) Quick to cook...I usually make them in veggie broth -regardless of intended use- it makes them more flavorful. Check out Ethiopian recipes...most of the dishes are a lentil 'dahl' type.

If these are your staples you will not lack protein and don't need to use processed powders, etc.

PS - Hope this helps - if you want any recipes let me know!

If you eat this way and still have protein issues there may be something else going on.. (?)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Protein is ESSENTIAL for good health. Go from there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't care for fruit that much, but I only eat fish as far as animal proteins go, so we are similar there.

If you don't have protein, you may find that you feel sluggish.

I opt for low fat and full fat dairy, nuts and beans. (I avoid soy.) Rice and whey proteins are other good options.

I've found that I seem to metabolize better, definitely feel better and function better when I pay attention to protein. I also feel fuller longer when I have a good balance of protein, fat and carbohydrates.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no real Kwashiorkor in adults in America - a differential diagnosis would come out with a whole bunch of other things first. Even her low protein diet is more than enough to prevent that. Let's keep it real.

I was just elaborating on "what happens when you lack protein", being overly literal for smirks after the post that simply said "you die"... PEM came to mind.

Although, I'm not actually aware of any specific number that implies protein deficiency. Obviously what is "adequate" or "optimal" is discussed all the time, but aside from RDI there's no given number for insufficient intake of protein. I mean, you'd presume < RDI is deficient, in essential AAs at the very least.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Anecdata, but when I had a protein deficiency, I lost a ton of hair, my heart got weaker, my nails were brittle, and I was tired all the time. It was a hot mess. I use a protein shake as a supplement (mine has 30g protein & 160 cal) to make sure that I don't fall into a deficiency again. I love fruit too but the side effects of a deficiency were so awful and took a LONG time to get over. And it didn't even take that long to become deficient - it was pretty scary.
  • 0nesecret
    0nesecret Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't really have energy problems, so I'm probably consuming enough protein to avoid that. I'll still try to up my protein and decrease my fruit intake.

I feel like it's hard to hit protein goals with nuts though. You'd have to consume a lot of nuts but I don't really want to do that as they're very high in calories (I used to consume nut butters but I stopped because a small breakfast like a banana with peanut butter could already reach 300 calories). I also don't have chickpeas & I don't know where to get them here. But I guess my other options include quinoa, fish, eggs, and tofu.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    nuts are a good source of fat (with trail protein) not the other way around. Since you said you are low on fat anyway, they aren't a bad choice.

I have hit well over 200g on "vego" days with predominantly dairy. That is my choice as I like the taste. Lots of cottage cheese and yoghurt, mixed up with some protein powder. THEN add your fruit and put it in the freezer. Delicious :smile: