Alcohol alternatives

Options

Replies

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I really like the flavored LaCroix and sometimes can find them in glass bottles instead of cans. Somehow, it seems more elegant. I have it over ice and it is a nice substitute on my drink free days. Cheers!
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you're missing the flavor, then I would just have one glass maybe once a week. But, if you are missing the feeling, you can switch to hard liquor - whiskey, gin, vodka, rum, scotch, etc. - which only has 64 calories per ounce, as opposed to the wine, beer or cider, which had tons more. I personally like gin and seltzer, but if you want, you can mix it with diet coke or crystal light or any no/low calorie beverage of your choice. I go out socially once a week, and even if I have three drinks, I can usually still fit it into my calories. One thing to note is that most bars do a 1.5 ounce pour, so be sure you're counting as accurately as you can.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Weed.

Too many calories.....man!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha... alternative. Just do so in moderation.:drinker:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Cant beat a cup of tea....
  • MinkeyMe
    MinkeyMe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me too. I love coming home from work and having either a beer or a glass of wine. I still drink but only if I have calories to spare that day. I too have found that the flavored LaCroix seltzer water to be a decent substitute for a beer. It's cold and fizzy but not sweet. And it helps me get more water in.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Weed.

^^THIS
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ... But, if you are missing the feeling, you can switch to hard liquor - whiskey, gin, vodka, rum, scotch, etc. - which only has 64 calories per ounce, as opposed to the wine, beer or cider, which had tons more. ...

I did the same thing. Beer is like eating a slice of bread (wrt calories) and wine is as bad a fruit juice. They have flavored vodkas which can be mixed with water and still give a nice buzz without the influx in calories from needing several to get the same feeling.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar!

Try brut champagne. I switched from wine because it has only 450 cals a bottle and like 12g sugar!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm doing fairly well on my diet but I'm struggling to find alternatives to my favorite treats: wine and hard cider. Lately I've been treating myself to either a glass of iced tea or club soda mixed with juice in the evening, but I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite beverages. Or any motivating phrases to keep me away from the liquor cabinet!

Cheers,

Emily (UniqueSnowflake)

Have you considered just having less? I still drink wine and beer, but sometimes I'll only have 3 or 4 oz instead of a few glasses. My boyfriend is always happy to finish the other half of my beer if a whole one doesn't fit in my calories. If you definitely want to stay away from alcohol entirely, my mom used to make me and my sisters virgin cocktails out of cocktail mixes. I'm pretty sure they have some that are lower in calories. Mix it with some sprite zero or seltzer water. I bet you could mimic hard cider by finding the right combination of club soda and real apple cider.
  • IamLee1987
    IamLee1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried warm green tea or warm chamomile tea with a touch of honey. They can be very calming after a busy day. I enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer on occasion, but have found that warm tea is great too! HTH! :smile:

I second this. I drink Camomile tea of the evenings and it calms me down and helps me to unwind. I haven't tried it with honey though but I'm sure I will tonight. :)
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to give up booze. :drinker:

^^Agree!! :drinker:

I've managed to fit it into my calories so that I can have an occasional glass of wine during the week and on the weekends I drink vodka but I measure it out so I know how many calories I'm drinking. I love the new Dasani drops (pineapple coconut is my fave!) I mix my vodka with water and add the drops. 66 cals for 1 oz of vodka and nothing for water and Dasani drops! By measuring it out I don't drink as much and I don't feel bad the next day! :drinker:
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm only in my third week of MFP, but this is currently working for me. I pre-log a beer or a wine with my evening meal. If I'm really hungry during the day, I 'steal' those calories back to enable me to have a snack. If I've planned my day effectively and don't need the snack, then I get the booze!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try fitting a glass of wine or a bottle of hard cider in your macros every few days or so. Substitute that carb for another at night. You will still be hitting your calories and macros and getting to enjoy some of the things you love. No need to cut them out if you don't want to.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This.

Also, 250 ml of rioja (and that's actually a pretty big glass) is around 170 calories.

Just sayin'.
  • carrj01
    carrj01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that, I will look for that!! Although I do like the little buzz you get from the real wine..lol
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Kombucha!
  • StevenDeCord
    StevenDeCord Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 LBS between January and July of last year and hit a wall...The problem? I was still drinking between 600-1000 calories a day in alcohol...I know this because I was tracking it...Then I quit drinking in July and the weight literally flew off! I lost an additional 30 LBS between July and September...I no longer drink alcohol because when I drink alcohol I do so to get buzzed and then drink too much and kill my diet...It isn't worth it...Plus, if I drank today after 8 months, I would probably get drunk on one drink...LOL
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

This.
    Weed.

And this.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options

^^Agree!! :drinker:

I've managed to fit it into my calories so that I can have an occasional glass of wine during the week and on the weekends I drink vodka but I measure it out so I know how many calories I'm drinking. I love the new Dasani drops (pineapple coconut is my fave!) I mix my vodka with water and add the drops. 66 cals for 1 oz of vodka and nothing for water and Dasani drops! By measuring it out I don't drink as much and I don't feel bad the next day! :drinker:
    \

Exactly what I do, with the vodka. Try the Pinapple coconut (1 or 2 squirts) with Strawberry Watermelon Flavor (I get the generic Dollar General brand). It's delicious and tastes more like one of those little tropical drinks. YUM.