The Moment You Realised it was Possible.

Options
Sooo today I managed to get past my intial goal which is still pretty massive, but I'm about 56lbs down and about halfway there. The goal isn't really important in and of itself, but it's the first time I've actually felt a bit optimistic and actually considered the posibility that this might not just result in me giving up.

I'm curious as to when other people came to the realisation that their ideal weights are actually achievable and not just a remote hope or to use a bit of a cliche - when did you see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Replies

• cbrewer1029
    Options
    I feel like I can see the light clearly some days, and others... not so much. I definitely go back and forth between feeling and achieving success and feeling hopeless. At one point, I was down 55 lbs and felt great - there was definitely nothing that was going to stop me. And then I got comfortable, too comfortable. I let things slide and gained some back. So, I think maintaining that "can do" / "will do" attitude is definitely tough!.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It was probably around 28 lbs lost and been at it for a few months that I felt like I could really do it. Sure, there's some hard days, but the overall picture and feeling I get has been fantastic.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I got below 200 lbs-- I didn't think that I would ever get below but I wanted to--- when I did, I realized how strong I was.
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I got below 200 lbs-- I didn't think that I would ever get below but I wanted to--- when I did, I realized how strong I was.

Jeez no kidding. Down 160lbs is incredible!
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me it was the first 3.5 pound loss I saw on the scale. I had been getting heavier and heavier for a few years and I spent SO MUCH time trying to will my weight away. I spent so much time thinking about how I was going to start losing weight but I never actually did it. I never saw myself as one of those people who couldn't lose weight "no matter what" they did because I never did anything, but I did see myself destined to be fat for the rest of my life. So, by the grace of God I miraculously went to the gym one day and for some reason I kind of liked it. So I went back the next day and the day after that and then I started counting calories and here it is 10 months later. It was so massively incredible to me to see that if I ACTUALLY TRIED that I could in fact lose weight! I do spend some time thinking about when the axe is going to fall and I am going to go back to my old ways and forget how to lose weight again, but then I get over it and remember how many times I've thought that before and it never happened.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For me, it was after a couple of months into it when I realized I might just possibly do it this time. About six months in, I knew I was going to actually do it this time.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think it was the moment I hit 150 on the scale. My starting weight was 175 and I was often around 155 growing up so 150 wasn't that far off... but when I hit that number I was shocked for some reason and realised "wow, I am actually going to do it!" :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    The morning I did the Thirty Day Shred even when I really, really, really didn't want to. I cried when I was done. It was as if I broke through my own glass ceiling.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "I can't believe that!" said Alice.
    "Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."
    Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Yeah...kinda this.

I am BARELY under 200 lb right now (198) but after being as heavy as 307 at one point, I hoped to get to maybe 240 and once I hit my lowest adult weight (227) for the first time in more than a decade, I became a believer that hey, I can do this.

I still don't really have an ideal weight in mind. I definitely want to get to 180 or below. I have recently had a lot of little NSVs and firsts though that are making me feel like this is real and permanent and something I'll truly work at keeping up. For example I got rid of all my plus size underwear and have been buying adorable panties from Victoria's Secret, Macy's, etc...I have never in my life done this before...lots of great firsts
  • nicklippa
    nicklippa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was 237 lbs when I started and when I went down to 220 lbs that August morning I said to myself "If I can do this, I can go down to 170lbs!". It has now been 6 months and I am down to 192, I am eating healthy, working out everyday including spinning classes with my wife and I am down 2 1/2 pant sizes. Most of all the side effects that I had not even thought of 1) my snoring is gone - according to my wife 2) I have taken maybe 2 or 3 antacids since last summer - this used to be a daily occurrence. I never went anywhere without my TUMS or PEPCID 3) my blood pressure is down to 116/70 and most importantly 4) I just had a colonoscopy (both my parents had colon cancer - my dad died from it) and they found no polyps so I don't have to go back for 5 years.

All this because last May when my son graduated high school, I could not get my suit on or do up my tie and embarssingly I said "enough is enough!". myfitnesspal, my fitbit, my garmin 410 and my determination will get me to 170. Sorry to brag, I really am just a humble polite Canadian but being overweight for 20 years and losing 45lbs is a big accomplishment for me.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For me it was petty fast. I wanted to lose weight for some time but didn't know how. I heard about MFP and for two weeks I would look at it. One day I entered my info but it took me a few days before I logged. I started on a Tue and I found I stayed within my goal. So that Sat I weights myself and I was down a half a pound. That made me keep going for a few more days. By Thurs I was down 3lbs. That was when I knew I could do it. My big goal at that point was 10lbs with 15 being a crazy goal. I got through those and kept going.

I was so happy the day I got under 220. It had been 10 years since I did that. Now I am close to Breaking 190. But the moment I lost those 3lbs I knew it was only a matter of time.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I'd lost enough that looking into the mirror I could almost recognize myself. Even though I weigh 20 lbs less than I did 3 years ago, a friend told me just last night that my face is still "plumper" than it used to be. I don't know if it's age or if those last few pounds put on are going to be the last few pounds to come off because my hips are 6 inches smaller than they were 3 years ago and they were the first to fill out when the weight gain began. But at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere. To have re-entered the 130s for the first time in years is motivating and I know I'm almost there. I can see the light!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I'd lost over 20 pounds in a way that did not make me feel moody and deprived, the light bulb came on that I could easily be a healthy weight if I kept doing it.
  • ccole1009
    Options
    I started back in Oct on my weight loss journey. a month later (to the day), i weighed myself and I had lost 6 pounds. It was such a small amount, but I was THRILLED! That's when I realized it was completely possible, but that I'm going to have to work at it everyday. That was the hardest month ever, but it was worth it to see the results. I even had a few pairs of pants that started to fit just a tiny bit better... :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I realized it was possible at two major points:

1. I took a walk because I really, really wanted to. I couldn't live without my walking anymore.
    2. I started craving my bananas, greek yogurt, and oatmeal rather than candy and fast food.

There are still days where I don't feel like walking, and I just want to bite into a huge sandwich, but they are becoming fewer and farther between.
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sadly for me the cravings are all still here regularly (I'm literally having to fight the desire to order not 1 but 2 take-away pizzas tonight and I'd eat them both) so props for that it's pretty dang cool! :happy: