Worst Fruits in Calories to avoid

Options

Replies

• strops1965
    Options
    hello bananas are good they release energy slowly so you can have one a day.
  • strops1965
    Options
    hello well done on your weight loss im new to all this.
  • strops1965
    Options
    hello every one as you can see i joined today. so yes im new to all this so be gentle with me lol. im looking forward to lots of good tips ect. a very well done to those ppl that have lost weight. i go to fitness classes twice a week. i try to go swimming once a week. i joined the fitness class 3 weeks ago now this is my 3rd week and all is going well at the moment. i lost four and a half pound last week. on wards and up wards.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever gained weight because they ate a bag of potatoes or a whole bunch of bananas. Everything in moderation is the way to go. However, I have switched out the baked potato for steamed vegetables when eating out because of the sour cream & butter that I normally put on it. I do still have a banana with my yogurt for lunch occasionaly.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/calories-fruit.htm

I found this helpful but I would say ANY fruit, vegetable or nut is better for you than sweets, processed food or simple carbs like bread! You should balance out food groups but fruit and vegetables should absolutely be one of the largest parts of your diet. They are nutritious and although fruit contains a lot of sugar sometimes it is naturally occurring and as long as you eat it in moderation it will do you much more good than harm.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
    I understand bananas and potatoes are the worst...any others?
    What are the best???

You can find a list on line; if you cannot, I can send it to you. Generally fruit with small pits have the least amount of fructose. Again, it is the fructose in the sugar that is DANGEROUS when there is too much. If we eat foods (usually fake foods) we consume too much fructose and then we add the fruit, it takes it over the top. Eat fruit for your sugar, not other foods with sugar and you will be fine as long as you don't overdo on fruit.

sigh…more sugar "alarmism" …

gets on tin foil hat….
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    potatoes aren't a vegetable, there a starch. But yeah their worst unless sweet potatoes. Cashews are full of fat also. Bananas for me cause weight gain. Blueberries, cantalope, watermelon, grapes, orages, apricots, pineapples are all good. almonds are wonderful. I do a lot of nuts for protein. Cucumber, cauliflower, cottage cheese and tomatoes are stomach fillers and stomach fat burners..

LMAO, potatoes are not vegetables? A sliver of banana causes you to gain weight? Hello ignorance
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
    What are the best???

Some fruits have more fructose than others so you need to be careful of how much you eat of those fruits... keeping your sugar to 10 percent of your calories will solve that problem.

Fructose is NOT metabolized as glucose is and is converted to fat!

Joanne Moniz
    ANY sugar over consumed will turn to fat.:yawn: While fructose has the propensity to metabolize to fat IF the liver can't hold it, dosage is always going to be the culprit. If the liver is depleted of glycogen, then fructose will be converted to glucose like any other sugar.
    Again, over consumption is the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's right overconsumption is the KEY word. And overconsumption is more than 10 percent of your calories in sugar. "Everything in moderation" means nothing if we do not know what moderation is. We are no longer living in a world with healthy food all around us...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Some fruits have more fructose than others so you need to be careful of how much you eat of those fruits... keeping your sugar to 10 percent of your calories will solve that problem.

Joanne Moniz
    ANY sugar over consumed will turn to fat.:yawn: While fructose has the propensity to metabolize to fat IF the liver can't hold it, dosage is always going to be the culprit. If the liver is depleted of glycogen, then fructose will be converted to glucose like any other sugar.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's right overconsumption is the KEY word. And overconsumption is more than 10 percent of your calories in sugar. "Everything in moderation" means nothing if we do not know what moderation is. We are no longer living in a world with healthy food all around us...

Durianrider and Freelee beg to differ
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I always have bananas. I usually have 1 a day because I find that their sweet, filling taste gives me more energy in the morning or before studying. And they don't even have too many calories. Potatoes are not even fruits, I don't have them often because it's like eating bread or pasta to me, I can't have all of them at once. But paired with other veggies (or meat, if you like it) they make a good side dish. Also, you don't need to season them with much, just a spoon of olive oil, salt, pepper and other spices if you want. I try not to avoid any kind of fruit but to be honest I prefer to have different kinds of fruit throughout the day: some are richer in sugars, some in fibers, some are mostly water, but at least I get all of those nutrients, and also vitamins and so on!
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of my favorite meals... not a problem and I am still losing weight.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

You can find a list on line; if you cannot, I can send it to you. Generally fruit with small pits have the least amount of fructose. Again, it is the fructose in the sugar that is DANGEROUS when there is too much. If we eat foods (usually fake foods) we consume too much fructose and then we add the fruit, it takes it over the top. Eat fruit for your sugar, not other foods with sugar and you will be fine as long as you don't overdo on fruit.

DANGEROUS?! Like Zombie apocolypse dangerous?

tumblr_m7s6a1qxFz1qiq5w9.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    :laugh: at too much fruit being dangerous. Joanne, your fructose fearorism is laughable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Assuming no medical conditions, allergies, intolerances, etc. any fruit or vegetable can be part of a healthy diet as long as it fits in your calories and macros.
    THIS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

IDEA Fitness member

No it's not. Over consumption meaning over in calories. Your stance on sugar is over exaggerated because you happen to follow program you believes works for you and whomever you learned from or share with. Science says different. I'll stick with science.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

:huh:
    RIIIIIGHT.

She is speaking the truth. From WebMD, which the majority of you all seem to like around here..............

http://www.webmd.com/heart/metabolic-syndrome/news/20090421/fresh-take-on-fructose-vs-glucose

From the very first sentence..........
    New research shows big differences in how the sugars fructose and glucose are metabolized by the body.

Here is a Pubmed study also

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2189777

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/895.full
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

Assuming you are correct, if you are in a caloric deficit nothing you eat will be stored as fat
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

:huh:
    RIIIIIGHT.

She is speaking the truth. From WebMD, which the majority of you all seem to like around here..............

http://www.webmd.com/heart/metabolic-syndrome/news/20090421/fresh-take-on-fructose-vs-glucose

From the very first sentence..........
    New research shows big differences in how the sugars fructose and glucose are metabolized by the body.

Here is a Pubmed study also

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2189777

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/895.full

The WebMD link is a news blurb with no source referenced or named so it's hard to evaluate.

The studies you linked to: one is 24 y ears old which concludes that fructose isn't better than anything else, and the second isn't a study but a review and doesn't really say much about what we're talking about.

Here's a good literature review by Alan Aragon on the subject, which emphasizes context and discusses a number of actual studies:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

"Currently in the literature is a liberal camp reporting that fructose intakes up to 90 grams per day have a beneficial effect on HbA(1c), and no significant effects are seen for fasting triacylglycerol or body weight with intakes up to 100 grams per day in adults [15]. The conservative camp suggests that the safe range is much less than this; roughly 25-40 grams per day [19]. Figuring that both sides are biased, the middle figure between the two camps is roughly 50 grams for active adults.

Although the tendency is to get hung up on the trivial minutia of an exact gram amount, it’s not possible to issue a universal number because individual circumstances vary widely (this is a concept that baffles anti-fructose absolutists)."
  • thoughtspresso
    Options
    "Saying fructose is levulose is like saying that margarine is the same as butter. Refined fructose lacks amino acids, vitamins, minerals, pectin, and fiber. As a result, the body doesn’t recognize refined fructose. Levulose, on the other hand, is [fructose] naturally occurring in fruits, and is not isolated but bound to other naturally occurring sugars. Unlike man-made fructose, levulose contains enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and fruit pectin. Refined fructose is processed in the body through the liver, rather than digested in the intestine. Levulose is digested in the intestine."

-- source: http://www.naturalnews.com/024892_fructose_food_health.html
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    "Saying fructose is levulose is like saying that margarine is the same as butter. Refined fructose lacks amino acids, vitamins, minerals, pectin, and fiber. As a result, the body doesn’t recognize refined fructose. Levulose, on the other hand, is [fructose] naturally occurring in fruits, and is not isolated but bound to other naturally occurring sugars. Unlike man-made fructose, levulose contains enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and fruit pectin. Refined fructose is processed in the body through the liver, rather than digested in the intestine. Levulose is digested in the intestine."

-- source: http://www.naturalnews.com/024892_fructose_food_health.html

Lol - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews