Not paying for gym membership

Options
I was a member of my local gym for over 2 years paying £45 a month but cancelled my membership when i realized i had been less than 7 times in the last year. Since cancelling I have been to a few classes at the gym and when I have booked in at reception I havent been charged as on the system im still down as a member. I feel a little bit sneeky going to the classes for free but i guess over the last few years i have paid for them when i wasnt using it. Also surely its up to them to update their system when a member leaves, im sure the system would be notified soon enough when someone misses a payment. just wondering what other would do in this situation?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just wondering what other would do in this situation?

Not make up false rationalizations for stealing
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Be honest
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I was a member of my local gym for over 2 years paying £45 a month but cancelled my membership when i realized i had been less than 7 times in the last year. Since cancelling I have been to a few classes at the gym and when I have booked in at reception I havent been charged as on the system im still down as a member. I feel a little bit sneeky going to the classes for free but i guess over the last few years i have paid for them when i wasnt using it. Also surely its up to them to update their system when a member leaves, im sure the system would be notified soon enough when someone misses a payment. just wondering what other would do in this situation?

Wow.

I would stop stealing from the company and either tell them their mistake and pay for a new membership or not go at all.

It's going to catch up with you and they'll probably back charge you for the times you were there. I'm guessing they know you're going because you're checking in at reception.

If you're dishonest with something like this with the 'justification' that you 'paid your dues' then I'd hate to see what else you're dishonest about.
  • ozmakitten
    Options
    Their error, play dumb. They earn a **** load of money so go along with it for as long as you can! In my opinion * coughs
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This happened to me.....Only unlike you I was unaware. Apparently at some point a year and a half ago I changed cards and didn't update it with them. They changed payment companies and it never registered for some reason until recently they said I had a $48 balance......I questioned it and then went to look at bank statements and realized I hadn't been charged in quite some time. They just adjusted it, I paid the $48 and start getting billed monthly again next month........Mine was an accident.....You are doing it on purpose. If you are going to use the facilities, pay the charges.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you find a wallet with 45 dollars cash and an ID on the ground, would you:

a) turn the wallet in?

b) turn the wallet in , but take the cash?

c) leave the wallet as is

----

If a) go tell the gym and pay

b) & c) Just go until the gym notices

----

There's your answer.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'd just keep going because I'm a terrible horrible human being that likes free stuff :devil:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I would pay or stop going.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh come on, come on. Don't try and justify what you are doing. You know its wrong thats why you are looking for someone to say its fine.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Either admit to yourself that you are stealing and be okay with it or right the wrong and stop doing it. You know what you are doing. Validation from people on the internet will not change the reality of things.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    just wondering what other would do in this situation?

Not make up false rationalizations for stealing

^^^This.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    To make it easier, just rejoin, dont even say you've been coming for free.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you log into see your credit card bill and see 2,000 dollars that was 'payable' wiped off, would you call the cc company and tell it to them, then pay?
    ( if you know there's 0 consequence)

A lot of the people that told you to pay 45 dollars say so because it is an amount most people can afford.

There's always a $ amount that people would sell out for.

So what I'm saying is... make your own decisions.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you really thought it was okay you never would have posted the question. You paid for a membership you didn't use (it wasn't up to them to get you there) that was your problem. Pay up! Think of how embarrassing it is going to be if they discover it and confront you.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I would stop stealing from the company and either tell them their mistake and pay for a new membership or not go at all.

It's going to catch up with you and they'll probably back charge you for the times you were there. I'm guessing they know you're going because you're checking in at reception.

If you're dishonest with something like this with the 'justification' that you 'paid your dues' then I'd hate to see what else you're dishonest about.
    [/quote]

You said it right.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not their fault that you paid for the service and didn't use it. Stop stealing. Renew your membership or stop going.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Plenty of points have already been made about the ethics of what you're doing.

My real question is...why the H did you start going to the gym AFTER you quit, when you claim to have gone only 7 times in two years?! That part makes no sense at all.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's really pretty simple... you can continue to be part of the problem or become a part of the solution.

**** DO THE RIGHT THING ****
  • wesleysmom11
    Options
    <--- Also a terrible human being and I would continue going until I got caught, and even then I would play dumb. However, if they then charged me for anything, I wouldn't argue, I would just pay it.
    then again, I also hate gyms and refuse to pay to go to one anyway, so I'm biased :)
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Not a good Quality to have... knowingly stealing from a company.

Boo on you