Does it matter When I eat?

Options
Hi guys,
I have been working with a trainer and going to the gym for about 6 months, but all of that time I was pregnant so I didn't lose the weight I wanted to lose, I just maintained my weight, but, now that I'm not pregnant anymore, my trainer is doing different things with my food now not really what I eat because I'm pretty good with that now, but he is changing the times I eat I understand trying to eat 3 regular meals with 3 snacks but, what bothers me is that he wants me to start eating dinner at 3:45-4 every day which is just really hard for me for one, that's just a really busy time of day for us, but also because I really want us to sit down and eat together as a family and my husband has been having to work late for the past little bit.

Now, my trainers suggestion was to eat my dinner at 3:45-4 and then have a protein shake (banana, 2 scoops protein, 2 scoops peanut butter, and 1C. almond milk) when my husband has dinner at around 6 or so but I'm finding myself having to force myself to drink this shake it's so much and it's just really hard to eat at that time as well.

And so, my question is does it really matter that much when I eat? I will make myself do it if it's really worth it but, if I can still loose the weight the way I'm wanting to without doing this it would be great.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have been working with a trainer and going to the gym for about 6 months, but all of that time I was pregnant so I didn't lose the weight I wanted to lose, I just maintained my weight, but, now that I'm not pregnant anymore, my trainer is doing different things with my food now not really what I eat because I'm pretty good with that now, but he is changing the times I eat I understand trying to eat 3 regular meals with 3 snacks but, what bothers me is that he wants me to start eating dinner at 3:45-4 every day which is just really hard for me for one, that's just a really busy time of day for us, but also because I really want us to sit down and eat together as a family and my husband has been having to work late for the past little bit.

Now, my trainers suggestion was to eat my dinner at 3:45-4 and then have a protein shake (banana, 2 scoops protein, 2 scoops peanut butter, and 1C. almond milk) when my husband has dinner at around 6 or so but I'm finding myself having to force myself to drink this shake it's so much and it's just really hard to eat at that time as well.

And so, my question is does it really matter that much when I eat? I will make myself do it if it's really worth it but, if I can still loose the weight the way I'm wanting to without doing this it would be great.

I'd get a new trainer. This ... "bro" sounds like a tool. Meal timing does not matter. If you just want to trim down, calories is all that matters. Don't neglect protein though, it helps more than you think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    did you ask your trainer why you have to eat at these times?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    No, your body doesn't have a watch.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Meal timing is all about diet adherence and performance in your exercises. Do what makes YOU feel best. Ignore the trainer.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Eating some protein andostly carbs in the 1 hour after you work out was scientifically shown to increase your muscles receptiveness to more protein later. (Which helps repair them faster) I'm posting on my phone so I'll find a citation when I get to computer.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I assume you're paying this dude, right? If you don't trust what he's telling you to do then why hire him? I'd find somebody else that better suits you.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new trainer. This ... "bro" sounds like a tool. Meal timing does not matter. If you just want to trim down, calories is all that matters. Don't neglect protein though, it helps more than you think.

What that guy said.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eating some protein andostly carbs in the 1 hour after you work out was scientifically shown to increase your muscles receptiveness to more protein later. (Which helps repair them faster) I'm posting on my phone so I'll find a citation when I get to computer.

The amount of benefit is so miniscule it is wont matter for 99+% of the population. As long as you have enough protein and carbs in your day, you won't notice a difference. The ones that may see a slight difference are bodybuilders with massive amount of muscle to feed.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There are studies that those who eat their largest meal at breakfast and smallest meal at dinner are more successful at losing weight. But as for gaining muscle and actual timing is concerned I wouldn't think it would matter.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    3 meals and 3 snacks every day works for me, but by no means are they by the clock. i just fit them into my day. You will be happier on a scheduale that suits your lifestyle and not a trainers recommended eating times. He sounds a little unrealistic in his timing for you.
    Most people will say it doesn't matter when you eat, I personally think when is as important as what ( and I mean balanced over the course of the day, with out specific hour assigned~ so every few hours) but that is just me. I am happy with this approach, hope you find one that works best for you. That goes for the trainer as well :)

good luck
  • DoctorGreenthumb
    DoctorGreenthumb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say it doesn't matter, unless it is working for you which from your post it clearly isn't. Here is a great post to read and maybe share with your trainer:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Also to add, what did you hire your trainer for? If you wanted help with a fitness plan, they have no business giving you nutrition advice, unless that was part of what you asked for. Might be time to reassess what you are paying for.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What difference would it make to your body if you were to eat your dinner with your husband, having your trainer's protein shake during the dinner time he specifies for you? You can gain weight or lose weight with just one meal per day, regardless of what time it might be, depending on the number of calories you choose to consume.

Losing weight is calories in vs, calories out. Nothing else should really matter until you have a lean BF% and want to get ripped or cut, then you might have to concern yourself with meal timing and such. Until then, it's basic arithmetic.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd be too happy with a trainer who suggests I drink a shake while my family is eating dinner.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers don't have the education to give any type of nutrition advice and 90% of the time whatever they say will sound like ''no carbs after Xpm, eat every 2hrs, and take X and X supplements'' which is a load of bullshyt.

NEVER listen to a trainer when it comes to nutrition (and many other things but that's a whole other story....) unless they are trained for it.

Eat when you are hungry