omg thanksgivibg is here. I need help

Options
Will this year my family are not eatting the same tukey and stuffing like other family. I thought it would be cool to have something different. Were having baked bbq chicken, cabbage with bacon, mac and cheese, maybe some suffing. I need help I know I don'twant to go for 2 servings but with my first serving I want to be full. This is my first thanksgiving that I'm not going back for moreand more. This is going to be hard. Plus I'm doing all the cooking with teaste testing in part of the madness. So I need everyones help with how much to eat?

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Like I told a previous poster make sure you fill up on water throughout the day, get your 60oz in that day if not more! Just before you eat dinner drink a glass of water eat a hard-boiled egg and some apple slices, it will hopefully fill you up enough to prevet you from going back up for seconds!:smile:
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Its' Thanksgiving! Go ahead and eat. I am! Then just watch out the rest of the week. Or do a little extra exercise!
  • arsec4
    arsec4 Posts: 22
    Options
    From HUNGRY GIRL-200 RECIPES UNDER 2OO CALORIES cookbook by Lisa Lillien

Tried these out at a pig roast last night. HUGE HIT! Everyone loved them and they were one of the first dishes to get cleared out! I made the recipe exactly as below, except I added maybe 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 thin slice of a portabello mushroom cap (about 1/10 of the whole cap). Adding the portabello makes it looks like you left the skin on the potatoes! Add a dash of parsley for color and Voila! Instant success!happy

PER SERVING: (about 2/3 cup): 82 calories, 1g fat, 168mg sodium, 16g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 3g protein

Ingredients

1 large potato (about 13 oz)
    3 cups cauliflower florets
    3 tablespoons fat-free half & half
    1 tablespoon light whipped butter or light buttery spread
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Additional salt, black pepper to taste
    Optional: 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to boil.
    While waiting for water to boil, peel and cube potato.

Once water is boiling, add peeled potato cubes and cauliflower florets. Allow water to return to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower and potatoes are very tender.

Remove pot from heat and carefully drain water. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl. Add half & half, butter, and salt. Add the crushed garlic, if you like (or mushroom and chives).

Mash with a potato masher, until completely blended. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt. Enjoy!

Makes 5 servings.
  • AznKimi
    Options
    I would suggest making a yummy fresh green bean casserole using the spices of your choice fresh mushrooms and unsweetened almond silk for the "cream of mushroom," and instead of fried onions, fresh onions on top.
    For the mac ans cheese try Kraft fat free cheddar (tastes just as good, without the calories and fat), unsweetened almond silk, and Barilla plus elbows for the macaroni (high protein, high fiber, omega 3's, and made with whole grain.)
    Also, have you ever made your own stuffing? Try cutting up some Nature's Own Double fiber bread with omega 3 seasoning them with seasoning of your choice, and spritzing it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray... Then adding your broth and re-baking.
    With high fiber, and protein your stomach will feel full for longer, and you'll feel better about yourself, without feeling left out.
    I wish you well! Good luck with everything!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions -

(1) Water, Water, Water - it will help you to fill more full and won't allow you to eat as much.

(2) Have a salad first and keep carrot sticks on hand. This way you will eat less fo the crappy stuff.

(3) Record your food before you eat it. This will give you an idea of the damage you are doing before you do it. I think you will find that the chicken and cabbage won't be that bad for you but the mac & chesse will kill you on calories. This way if you record first, even the day before, you will see that you can have a spoonful of mac & cheese and then seconds on teh chicken and cabbage.

(4) Find a healthier way to fix the foods you are fixing. http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Main.aspx
    That is a good site for more healthy recipes. You can customize to 1 serving or 20 and it gives you the nutritional content.

I wish you the best. I'm hitting the gym everyday this week (instead of my normal Tues & Thur schedule) so I can eat more of the food I enjoy at this time fo the year.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Eva
  • junekucks
    Options
    Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    I find that eating an apple about 30 minutes before your meal will help. And include among your table grace
    " Holy Spirit , help me make food my servant instead of my god today.. Thank you., Amen"
    It really helps.
    Blessings,
    June
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    I find that eating an apple about 30 minutes before your meal will help. And include among your table grace
    " Holy Spirit , help me make food my servant instead of my god today.. Thank you., Amen"
    It really helps.
    Blessings,
    June

I like the prayer.....:-)
  • mamaclev
    Options
    My plan for this Thanksgiving is to be sure I eat a good breakfast and I am going to pass on appetizers this year. My brother in law make a fabulous soup so I am going to have a small bowl of that and will consider that my appetizer. I am going to have what I want for dinner, but just not over do it. Also, going to try to get a walk in after eating.
    MamaClev
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I signed up to run a 5K road race the morning of Thanksgiving (make sure I get some exercise in before I'm too full and tired to do it) and I convinced my husband and two brothers to join in the race as well! :) Also, I'm planning my food ahead of time - as in, I know my mom's standard Thanksgiving dinner menu, and I'm figuring out how much of each I can eat... it's all about planning I think. As everyone has already said, water water water... a good breakfast that's filling, but not calorie heavy... and in the end, if you go over a little, don't sweat it too much, you have to be able to enjoy the holidays. Good luck! :)
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Its' Thanksgiving! Go ahead and eat. I am! Then just watch out the rest of the week. Or do a little extra exercise!

Exactly what he said. Thanksgiving comes once a year. Relax and enjoy your family's company and don't worry about how many calories you're eating. It's one day. So what if you don't have a loss! :drinker: People will say to fill up on water or to get in extra exercise the day before or whatever, but IMO, I just think that's ridiculous. Have a wonderful and blessed holiday! All that food sounds absolutely amazing :smile: