High triglycerides

Options
Last time I had blood work, my triglycerides were pretty high. This is concerning me since I am an almost 23 year old female. I love carbs a lot, but I know I should avoid them. What foods should I avoid to lower my triglycerides? Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I expect that the carbs you may enjoy most (bread, pasta, potatoes...i.e., starchy, relative high sugar carbs) are the ones you need to cut back on. Non-starchy veggies, salads, etc which are also carbs should be fine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yup, carbs effect trigs.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating? What types of carbs? How much are you exercising? What types of exercise? There are two ways that I know of to reduce triglycerides... reduce carbs (not eliminate) and or exercise.
  • Frostbitten007
    Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    J72FIT, I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein daily. I do tend to eat a lot of pasta, and bread. I eat whole wheat pasta mostly and wheat bread. I eat some rice, just not very often. I exercise about 5 days a week. This week, due to my very busy schedule I have not had time to go to the gym. I have a job where I am on my feet, walking around a lot. I work in the deli of a grocery store. I am always walking around, showing customers where an item they want is. When I go to the gym, I like to use the stationary bike and arc trainer. I do sometimes try and change it up a bit by using the stair stepper. Weights, however scare me. I see people like you who have massive muscles. I am the first one to admit that I am a weakling. I want to work my way up to that, but I do not want to pay for a trainer.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    can't recommend Jillian Michaels Body Revolution enough times... women don't put muscle on in the same way men do. We tend to tighten up as opposed to buik up.

i'm about to start my fourth week of the vids and I DEFinitely feel a difference in my strength and muscle tone.

Also - I had my tri's tested last year and they were high, despite being the healthiest I've ever been. At the time, I was pounding nut butter like a fiend, so that could be a source. It's just something to be aware of and keep exercising.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible family history for cardiac stuff so this is a topic that's close to my heart. (ha! literally!) I cut my cholesterol and triglycerides way down by eating a HUGE salad (10-12 oz greens) for dinner with a low-fat dressing and walnuts. Boosting my leafy greens intake was critical in getting my cholesterol down overall - my HDL is now higher than my LDL. I also drink a green smoothie in the morning with 6 cups of spinach.

In general, really focusing on getting my carbs from fresh fruits, vegetables, and nuts has made an enormous difference in my lipid panel numbers -- I saw results very quickly too. I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I got a lot of ideas from diseaseproof.com for boosting my greens intake. Hope this helps :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT, I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein daily. I do tend to eat a lot of pasta, and bread. I eat whole wheat pasta mostly and wheat bread. I eat some rice, just not very often. I exercise about 5 days a week. This week, due to my very busy schedule I have not had time to go to the gym. I have a job where I am on my feet, walking around a lot. I work in the deli of a grocery store. I am always walking around, showing customers where an item they want is. When I go to the gym, I like to use the stationary bike and arc trainer. I do sometimes try and change it up a bit by using the stair stepper. Weights, however scare me. I see people like you who have massive muscles. I am the first one to admit that I am a weakling. I want to work my way up to that, but I do not want to pay for a trainer.

Try a 40% carb 30% fat and 30% protein split. Tends to spread the nutrients around a little more evenly. Seems like you are doing plenty of cardio and I would absolutely recommend some weight lifting. Don't be scared of the weights... they won't bite ;)