Polar FT4 HRM help?

Options
I received a Polar FT4 for Christmas and I think something's not quite right about it. At first, I thought the calories burned seemed a little on the low side compared to what I see other people post here and there. I didn't mind that too much since I'd rather be under than over. This week, however, my heart rate doesn't even get into the training zone when I'm jogging (in place-DVD workouts). It will finally get to the 120s when I'm at the point that I can't talk and feel like passing out. The best I can tell, it is reading my heart rate 10 bpm and more under the actual rate. Yesterday's workouts showed only 150 calories burned for 45 minutes of walking/jogging.

I couldn't find anything about this online so does anyone have any idea what is causing it? The battery indicator isn't on, I've washed the strap well, it has been wet against my skin, etc. and has steadily gotten worse.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure the strap is snug (not too tight but not too loose either) and the transmitter is centered? Should be placed just under your bra strap.

Did you wash the strap in the washing machine? If you used fabric softener in your washing machine, that could be a problem. If you hand wash, make sure you rinse it thoroughly.

Did you air dry it or put it in the drier? It shouldn't be put the drier, especially with fabric softener as that can clog the receivers. I've done it a few times by mistake and it doesn't seem to cause any major issues but it does get glitchy from time to time and I have to wonder if that's why.

Only thing else I can think of - any chance you take meds for high blood pressure or the like?
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Snug and under bra strap.

Hand washed (so far) and rinsed thoroughly. Maybe I'll try tossing it in the next load of laundry. (No fabric softener, allergies)

Air dried.

No meds except thyroid (I'm hypo) and nothing has changed since I started using it.

I'm not sure how hard I need to be working to get into the low end of the training zone (116+ heart rate) so I can't tell how badly it's off. I do mostly the harder Leslie Sansone DVDs with jogging or higher impact intervals plus Jessica Smith walking/jogging, and some of the Jillian Michaels workouts. I know if it isn't up with those, something is very wrong! LOL
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get in zone walking or jogging in front of the tv. I'd try jogging outside or on a treadmill and see how it works there. Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, interesting point mumfry23 - I did some googling and apparently the TV can cause interference with the HR transmission. Apparently if you're within 3 feet of certain equipment it can cause issues. Wow - learn something new every day!

Also, I've read hypothyroidism can lower heart rate. Not sure how much of an impact med would have on that. Would recommend discussing with your doctor.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Get to a point in your video when you are slightly short of breath and sweating and take your pulse for 15 seconds and multiply times 4- that is your heart-rate and should be the same as the heart rate monitor. If you are unable to say more than a few words and are sweating you should have a good heart-rate.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM as you.

Elliptical gets me between 160-175 BPM

Powerwalking, maybe 120 BPM

Running had me around 140 BPM

If you think it's off, try emailing/contacting Polar's customer service. I have heard they are REALLY good and go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied with their product. It could be faulty, but I would test it against taking your own pulse at the wrist to compare if it is truly off or if you just aren't getting your HR up there. I hope you get some answers.
  • Lizajayne23
    Options
    Oh, heck, we did just get a new TV a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up! I do my workouts on the laptop while watching the TV so I'll try one without the TV on.

The first week, I could get into the zone with jogging and the more vigorous kicks, knee lifts, etc. Just plain walking in place, even at a quick pace, gets me to 110-115, just below the training zone. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a treadmill and I'm not in a place conducive to outside jogging. When it warms up, I may talk (i.e. bribe) my daughter into going to the park with me. LOL
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Try doing a whole bunch of jumping jacks. LOL. That should get the HR up there!
  • Lizajayne23
    Options
    I have the same HRM as you.

Elliptical gets me between 160-175 BPM

Powerwalking, maybe 120 BPM

Running had me around 140 BPM

If you think it's off, try emailing/contacting Polar's customer service. I have heard they are REALLY good and go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied with their product. It could be faulty, but I would test it against taking your own pulse at the wrist to compare if it is truly off or if you just aren't getting your HR up there. I hope you get some answers.

Thanks for the info! I checked it against my pulse yesterday a couple of times. It was at least 10 bpm low, but I think the higher it was supposed to be the more it was off. When I first starting using it, I would get into the upper 130s and 140s during the high impact segments, some even 150s. When I was experiencing a bit of anxiety for a few days, it really got up there! LOL So, I'm pretty sure it started off working ok. But yesterday, the highest it got was 126 and I was DYING (or wanted to). I couldn't even check my pulse at that point. LOL