Banana's

Options
Is it really true this contributes to belly fat?
I usually eat one before my workouts or energy
and I'm thinking maybe its what's preventing my belly from flattening...?

Ive seen some minor improvements since I started workouts the last 30 days.. but nothing exciting...

any ideas? or thoughts on the bananas

Replies

• GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Bananas if they fit in your calorie goal. One food (especially a fruit) is not inherently bad for you or will make you fat.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that one.

I don't eat banana's because they give me a tummy-ache and my gut is a decent size.....so, my belly is not getting flat and I don't eat bananas, hmmmmmm.

Edit: I *like* bananas, but even half of one makes me feel ill. I have never been able to figure that one out.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Bananas do not contribute to belly fat... unless you eat enough of them to be in positive energy balance.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Excess fat and weight is caused by eating at a calorie surplus. Doesn't matter what you eat to get to the surplus. No food will magically make you gain fat/weight unless you are eating at a calorie surplus.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I have never heard that one.

I don't eat banana's because they give me a tummy-ache and my gut is a decent size.....so, my belly is not getting flat and I don't eat bananas, hmmmmmm.

Edit: I *like* bananas, but even half of one makes me feel ill. I have never been able to figure that one out.

You could have an allergy to bananas or just a sensitivity to them. Lots of people have this issue.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Never heard that one!
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I eat bananas all the time and my tummy is getting flatter!! not sure its the banana that preventing your belly from getting flatter
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    agree - it's about calories in vs. calories out.

i'd be so bummed out if that were true.. I eat at least half of one every day :)
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The energy boost, if there is one, probably comes from the sugar in the banana (about 14g per banana). One banana has about 27g of carbs and 105 calories. If you are not on a low carb/low sugar program a banana will not "break the bank" in terms of calories. Just record it and move on. The belly pooch will likely be a challenge but bananas will not make a difference unless you start eating a bunch of them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just refuse to believe crazy theories like that... Bananas contribute to belly fat... that just sounds silly to me. My friend also says that diet soda makes fat stick to your butt. Lol. Wtf? (if that's the case, I should start drinking it)
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat 3-6 bananas per day. I've lost over half my body weight and have visible ab definition. They sure haven't hurt me!