Something Must be Wrong

Options
It's been almost a week since I've started my 1200 calorie diet and I've been (semi-)faithfully working out almost every day. I stepped on the scale today, and-shocker- I haven't lost anything. I actually feel like I've GAINED weight because my jeans are tighter than they were last week when I started. The scale shows no difference, but this is a major killer for my confidence. I thought I was doing so good, and even though I could take more strides at doing even better, I was proud of myself for really jumping on the bandwagon this time and doing what I needed to do. Any thoughts?

Replies

• bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's been a week.

ETA: We can't see your diary. It could be sodium.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    The_Angry_Fish_Guy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    CMON MAN!
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    That I've been working out every day when I can, and I skip a day if I can't.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Leave the bandwagon for someone else...
    Take a ride on the success train, it's sometimes a long slow trip but it's worth it.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I misread your post. I thought you said you were semi-faithful to your eating plan, I apologize. I changed my response.

You do need to give it more time, though. And what about your sodium? Also, you just started a new exercise program. You could be retaining water.
  • jellis2014
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your calories burned? If I don't eat enough (less than 1200), my body holds on to the weight. You should be getting at least 1200 net calories a day (i.e. eat 1300, burn 100 = 1200 net). Also, make sure you log everyting you eat. Maybe you are consuming more calories than you think?
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Don't expect change over night or over a week... change takes time... I read on a post that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 for the rest of the world! Further ... if your workout's don't challege you they won't change you. Keep on working out & eatting clean/healthy and the lbs will start dropping...
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can't tell anything in less than a week. I've been doing this for four and the scale is still being stubborn. Yeah, it's a little discouraging, but I've decided to focus on other things, like how I don't feel sick anymore from drinking too much coke, or how I'm feeling a lot stronger in my workouts. Have faith in the process and give it time to work.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out it might be that you developed muscles that weigh more than fat! Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? To lose weight you need to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. If you eat below your BMR it is harmful for your body and it will hang on to the fat!
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Is that exercise routine new? It might help you to now that it's pretty common to see a small stall on the scale or even a slight gain when you start a new exercise routine or increase an old one. Our bodies flood sore muscles with excess fluid to help cushion and repair them after exercise, which can mask any fat loss that's actually going on. Fortunately, it goes away as your body gets used to the routine. But it's disappointed many dieters over the years.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It's been almost a week since I've started my 1200 calorie diet and I've been (semi-)faithfully working out almost every day. I stepped on the scale today, and-shocker- I haven't lost anything. I actually feel like I've GAINED weight because my jeans are tighter than they were last week when I started. The scale shows no difference, but this is a major killer for my confidence. I thought I was doing so good, and even though I could take more strides at doing even better, I was proud of myself for really jumping on the bandwagon this time and doing what I needed to do. Any thoughts?
    Check your diet, I am sick and have not worked out for the past 4 days, and won't till I am better, but I am still losing weight. See if anything in your macro breakdown looks too high.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out it might be that you developed muscles that weigh more than fat! Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? To lose weight you need to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. If you eat below your BMR it is harmful for your body and it will hang on to the fat!
    Best of luck
    Stef.

It's pretty difficult to put on any significant amount of new muscle while in a calorie deficit. I'd be very surprised if that was the problem here.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel better. I figured I'd at least lost a pound but yeah, it does take time. I think the last time I lost weight, it took me four or five months to lose 30 pounds. I'm just over-worrying. It's made sense over the past week to worry more about this than my husband being at basic lol, so I'm probably focusing WAY too much on it. Thanks for the help :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Swelling, water and glycogen retention.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just keep going! Keep exercising, keep logging. I think my diary is public if you want to look at it. I was on for a while last year and stopped for a bit in December and the first part of January. I have been back on for the last week though. I started with a higher calorie intake, but changed it a couple days into it, so you'll see a couple of negative numbers there. It's been slow, but I have had some success.

Also, thank your hubby for me for serving! I am not a military wife, but grew up an Air Force brat and my brother is in Army National Guard and currently serving.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right?

Agree. Seriously? Let me guess you are in your very early 20's? A week? You need to relax and realize things don't happen over night---surprise!

If you've started working pretty vigorously and that's new then it's very possible that you are retaining water. Just calm down and give it some more time for your body to aclimate to the changes your are throwing at it.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    My advice is to just keep going! Keep exercising, keep logging. I think my diary is public if you want to look at it. I was on for a while last year and stopped for a bit in December and the first part of January. I have been back on for the last week though. I started with a higher calorie intake, but changed it a couple days into it, so you'll see a couple of negative numbers there. It's been slow, but I have had some success.

Also, thank your hubby for me for serving! I am not a military wife, but grew up an Air Force brat and my brother is in Army National Guard and currently serving.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.

Thank your brother for me as well! And thanks for the positive note!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting an exercise routine, you are likely seeing muscles retaining some water as they heal and adjust. Also, I have a feeling you're not eating enough. If you are only eating 1200 calories and exercising, your net intake is too low. You won't lose that way. Your body will fight to hang on to what it's got. Make sure you're eating back at least some of your calories burned through exercise. Net calories shouldn't be under 1200. Give your muscles a day off to heal. I work out generally 5 days a week max so my body has recovery time. Watch sodium intake. If you're eating a lot of processed foods (like frozen meals for lunch, etc), you are likely getting a lot more sodium than you realize. Make sure you're getting enough protein to help your muscles. And most of all BE PATIENT! You didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight. It took me 15 months to lose my weight and I've been maintaining for almost 9. And it's effort every single day.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    This is also not a joke, really. If I've just started doing this, and figured maybe I could lose even a pound in the first week and haven't, I'd like to have suggestions about it. It's always nice to learn new information about dieting and being healthy, especially when I don't know much about it to begin with.