Logging Insanity

Options
So I log Insanity as high impact aerobics because I can't think of anything better...does anyone log it any differently?

Replies

• pktorm
    pktorm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do a 60 min circuit training session with a professional trainer. In the cardio section of where you log into exercise, type in circuit training. Put in the minutes you train and cut whatever it says to maybe half. The amount of calories they have set up, seems too high.

I just bought a heart rate monitor and have used it to calculate estimated calories and 60 min circuit training burns about 500 calories for me. However, my circuit training is pretty intense where I do other simple exercises during resting periods to keep my heart rate up.

hope that helps
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Best way is to get a heart rate monitory to determine your average heart rate throughout the workout. Then do a google search for "calories burned by heart rate" for a calculator and enter the amount of calories burned & duration into MFP. That's what I do. You can check out my diary.

Also, after completing Insanity last year about this time, I've started up once again since I over enjoyed the holidays. I'm currently in week 3 and looking for some MFP friends to help with motivation. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • ataylo30
    ataylo30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in week three of Insanity and just recently got a heart rate monitor to have a better idea of my calorie burn and more importantly, my heart rate. Prior to that, I was logging as high impact aerobics and the cal count is very similar.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I logged it as high impact aerobics and have to say MFP was pretty close to what my Polar FT4 gave me as a calorie burn. If anything slightly on the low side but we're talking 50 calories here or there. I stopped wearing the FT4 once I'd established that accuracy, as at times it actually de-motivated me. It can work both ways but figured in the end I could simply work as hard as I can, in that moment and without outside measures/influences.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I personally use this site: http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_burned .
    There's a search option at the bottom where you can search for insanity workouts. it also lets you add your weight and such for more accuracy.

That being said, i take it with a grain of salt and i always assume it's over estimating. a heart rate monitor would be your better bet, but in the meantime, this couldn't hurt. keep in mind it's totally dependent on the amount of effort you put in too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Best way is to get a heart rate monitory to determine your average heart rate throughout the workout. Then do a google search for "calories burned by heart rate" for a calculator and enter the amount of calories burned & duration into MFP. That's what I do. You can check out my diary.

Also, after completing Insanity last year about this time, I've started up once again since I over enjoyed the holidays. I'm currently in week 3 and looking for some MFP friends to help with motivation. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Log it as circut training and eat back a portion

HRM are only good for STeady state cardio and insanity is not that...there are too many times of rest or partial rest for it to be considered steady state