Hey Runners ...

Options
I'm new to running and signed up for a marathon relay in May. Seems pretty doable to train for that distance by then -- but it's so.so.so cold in Pittsburgh right now. This weekend, it's finally going to be "warm" -- we're talking 30's compared to the sub-zero temps we have been having -- and I was wondering ... what do you wear to run outside when it's cold?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    LAYERS! Insulated, moisture wicking bottom layer (Under Armour cold gear for example although there are less expensive alternatives). Depending on the temp and wind ... running pants, insulated shirt, lightweight jacket or windbreaker, gloves, hat, neck gaiter, balaclava, etc over the base layer.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    LAYERS! Insulated, moisture wicking bottom layer (Under Armour cold gear for example although there are less expensive alternatives). Depending on the temp and wind ... running pants, insulated shirt, lightweight jacket or windbreaker, gloves, hat, neck gaiter, balaclava, etc over the base layer.

I agree with this advice. I've found that the active wear at Old Navy works well for me... probably not nearly as good as Under Armour, but it's been good enough for me (and it's pretty cheap!!!). If I'm outside running around in the cold, I'll typically wear a few layers on top, a pair of running pants, and a hat/ear muffs. As I go, I sometimes find that I need to start peeling some layers off... but that's the beauty of wearing layers!

I also live in Pittsburgh and did the marathon relay last year (first leg... which seems to be the easiest/shortest one, so I guess I lucked out haha). So if you have any questions about that, feel free to let me know.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My cold weather saviours are:

Light gloves. Its your extremeties that get coldest, fingers first.

A buff - a tube of light materieal that can be a neck warmer, hat or pulled over the mouth.

A headband - my ears get coldest.

Now, as I run and warm up, I usually start taking these bits off, so I wear a jacket with pockets, or have a pouch/belt that I can carry them in.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ~Dress for 10 degrees warmer than what it actually is outside...this will account for your body heat raising while you run.

The rest of these are what works for me, but just to give you somewhere to start:

~ + 40 degrees: Tee-shirt and shorts, ball cap
    ~ 40 - 30 degrees: Long sleeve shirt with capri running pants, ball cap
    ~ 30 - 20 degrees: Long sleeve shirt, vest, running tights, ball cap
    ~ 20 - 10 degrees: Long sleeve shirt, running fleece, running tights, outer layer running pants, gloves, ear covers, ball cap
    ~ 10 - 0 degrees: Long sleeve shirt, running fleece, vest, running tights, outer layer running pants, glove, ear covers, ball cap
    ~ 0 - (-10) degrees: Long Sleeve shirt, Running Fleece, Running winter jacket , running tights, outer layer thermal running pants, gloves + hand warmers in pockets on top of hands, ear covers, ball cap
    ~ (-10) - (-20) degrees: Long Sleeve shirt, running fleece, Vest, Running winter jacket, running tights, outer layer thermal pants, gloves + hand warmers in pockets on top of hands, ear covers, ball cap
    ~ (-30) > degrees: Inside track or speed session on treadmill

Runner's world has a guide on their website that might help you was well.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Layers for when it's cold and dry. A treadmill and an elliptical trainer when there's snow. I do not need any more tumbles.
  • uberdilettante
    uberdilettante Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I pretty much follow all of these tips here and heard that you should dress for 20 degrees warmer than it is outside. This rule has worked for me, my gloves pretty much always come off! :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cold weather gear is awesome and worth the investment. Also gloves, scarf wrapped loosely to cover the lower half of face, at least for the beginning of the run and something to cover my ears. The scarf warms up the air and increases the water content so it's less harsh on your lungs.

And I wear waterproof trail shoes. If you can avoid your feet getting wet it's a major help.

Eta: also sunglasses to keep your eyes from watering...ive even worn ski goggles in really bad weather and vaseline around your nose.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses!!
  • dlewis42
    Options
    if its so so so cold outside, I would suggest to wear thermal and sweats.