Really big hips?

Options
So I've come to the realization that I am madly out of proportions. 42 inch hips and 28 inch waist? I only realized this after I had to order my wedding dress. They were nervous about the ordering size, so they ended up going with a 12 because I barely fit in the 10 around my hips. I'm kind of nervous now that it's going to be way too big on the top. I hope the alterations don't make it look odd. Uuugh.

Replies

• jeb2020
    jeb2020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the exact same problem. I'm 5"2 and in september last year I took my measurements: waist 30, hips 42. I recomend trying Jillian michaels banish fat boost metabolism and no more trouble zones. I alternate and do one dvd every day. I also do three sessions a week on the stationary bike at the gym. So far my waist is down to 26 and hips down to 36. All the best!
  • Mols86
    Mols86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I started Zumba 3x/wk and will be getting Turbofire in the mail soon. I'm just worried about losing inches in my upper body and having the alterations on my dress look ridiculous. My top half is about a size 6-8 dress, while my bottom is about a 10-12. Meep!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My brother is getting married and I had to order a dress with a similar problem. My top half is smaller than my bottom half. I think this is common in women. That's why they sell 2 piece bathing suits as separates. It is better to take in some room than to be stuffed into a dress that is too tight on the bottom.

Take it to a recommended tailor in your area that other people have used and don't try to be 'cheap' about it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Small waist, big hips isn't bad, except when buying clothing. It's actually a very healthy way to distribute your fat, and a good bone structure to have for having babies. Additionally it's generally considered attractive. I have a 29" waist and 41" hips. As long as your alterations person knows what they are doing it'll look great.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. 29 inch waist and 42 inch hips. Like another poster said thank god they sell swim suits separate now!
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    Same here; shopping for pants is downright torture. :grumble: I usually have better luck with "A" shaped dresses, which flow at the bottom and shows your smaller waist.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a 28" waist and 41" hips, A-lines are my best friends and what I had for my wedding dress. Empire waists are great too.
    When they started selling swimsuits in separates, I think I danced a jig
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What are you TALKING about!!??

Back in the day, my measurments were 27" waist and 43" hips and I loved my shape!! Shoppong for pants was always a nightmare for me and I always had to alter the waist. After 30 yrs, my best friend still likes to bring up how tiny my waist was. WAS!!! I know it's in here somewhere and I'm determined to see it again ( or as close to it as possible.....let's get real now).

If you look good and feel good, who cares?! You just might surprise yourself and your fiance and look outsanding in your wedding dress!! Congratulations! :smile:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Clothing companies design their patterns for the "average" woman, and whoever she is, she does NOT have an hourglass figure! Gap's Curvy jeans are the only things I've found that come close to fitting both my waist and my hips, and they're still too big at the waist. The retro revival/rockabilly styles, with the fitted tops and circle skirts, are a godsend. That, and finding a good tailor who can take in pants at the waist (or, if you're crafty, doing it yourself is pretty easy).
  • Mols86
    Mols86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    claudie,

It has nothing to do with me not liking my shape. I'm worried about how my alterations are going to look on my dress. The top of the dress is literally like 6 sizes too big, while the bottom half fits.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks into Brazil Butt Lift and it is super effective for hips and thighs! Plus I do Zumba as well. When I started back in July my hips were 45" (eek) and they are now measuring 40". They've slimmed down a lot. Good luck with your wedding dress fittings :)