My Job is Making Me Fat!

Options
So, I began an exercise and eating program with the help of MFP. I dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I was very pleased.

The problem is my job. I work 8 to 10 hours a day with a 4 hr commute (2 hrs each way), plus I am a mom and wife, so family time is very important to me, given I have so little of it most of the week.

I have tried getting up at 4 am to work out, that didn't work, I am wiped after 2 or 3 days. I have tried logging nightly half hour sessions, but that is also very hard to do. My husband is not always home at a decent hour and most of the time dinner and homework help fall solely on me. By the time I get to sit down and eat I have an hour and a half to enjoy my family and have dinner before I have to go to bed and call it a night to start all over.

I am thinking that given my current (and long term) situation, I need to find another schedule for my exercise. I know for sure that I can dedicate time on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone else had success with 3 workout sessions a week? How did you do it? Did you do full max out session those 3 days? Did you alternate cardio/weights/full body???

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to and need to make this work.

As a side note I am already set on 1200 cal for my allowance on MFP, any tweaks suggested to that are welcome as well.

Replies

• randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you have a desk job? How is your activity during the day otherwise? Any possibility for you to raise activity during the day or join a gym close to work?
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you have a less aggressive deficit, you will likely have more energy and maybe then would be able to continue your early morning workouts. I would also only commit to 30ish minutes until you've really adjusted to making that part of your schedule. I'm no expert by any means, but it might help!
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try a lunchtime workout. Hopefully, where you work has a workout room, or hopefully there is a gym nearby. I workout during lunch almost daily, mostly because I hate doing it at night, and it seems to help a lot. You can develop a whole routine so you don't smell, if you sweat a lot, which is what I have done. Good luck!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary to lose weight. If you want to lose weight stick to 1200, you'll lose it if you are truly eating only 1200.

Exercise simply a tool. It helps your heart, muscles, bones, etc but the only thing it does for weight loss is gives you a larger deficit. Thus allowing you to eat more than the 1200 allotted calories.
  • baby_grl_martinez
    baby_grl_martinez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a desk job. I am seated most of the day, and according to my FitBit, I only log on average 3500-4000 steps a day, so the extra activity is really needed. I do not have the finances to join a gym, but we do have simple gym equipment, such as a weight bench and treadmill at home that I try to use.

I will try tweaking with my deficit and lowering my weekly weight los goals and see where that gets me. Does anyone have any thoughts or info on adjusting carb, protein, etc intake?
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you have any plans to move or change job? 4 hours commuting/day is pretty crazy in my opinion!

To lose weight, you don't have to exercise. Since you are busy, you will have to do your best to fit in 10-15 minute workout when you can. Good luck!
  • baby_grl_martinez
    baby_grl_martinez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary to lose weight. If you want to lose weight stick to 1200, you'll lose it if you are truly eating only 1200.

Exercise simply a tool. It helps your heart, muscles, bones, etc but the only thing it does for weight loss is gives you a larger deficit. Thus allowing you to eat more than the 1200 allotted calories.

I do realize it is not necessary from the weight loss stand point, and that a calorie deficit will get me going all on it's own, but as I stated I need this. It's not simply weight loss for me, although a huge part, but sanity. Sitting on my @$$ drives me nuts, but I am in no position to search for another occupation. So my work outs are not only a means for fitness, physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am able to get my regular workout done during my lunch hour but since I like to indulge a bit more than I should..... Something I just started doing to get a little more bang for my buck is walking in place while watching television. I imagine at some point you sit down with the family to watch a show or even when helping with homework or preparing dinner you can walk in place. In a half hour you can burn a couple hundred calories.
  • jUStPunkin
    jUStPunkin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What about walking during lunch? When the weather is warm, we walk outside - a brisk 30 minute walk. When it's cold, we do laps inside the building.

Try and find a friend who wants to walk with you. It makes the time go quicker and really helps.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    can you go for a walk at lunch?
  • zootiesgroove
    Options
    So, I began an exercise and eating program with the help of MFP. I dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I was very pleased.

The problem is my job. I work 8 to 10 hours a day with a 4 hr commute (2 hrs each way), plus I am a mom and wife, so family time is very important to me, given I have so little of it most of the week.

I have tried getting up at 4 am to work out, that didn't work, I am wiped after 2 or 3 days. I have tried logging nightly half hour sessions, but that is also very hard to do. My husband is not always home at a decent hour and most of the time dinner and homework help fall solely on me. By the time I get to sit down and eat I have an hour and a half to enjoy my family and have dinner before I have to go to bed and call it a night to start all over.

I am thinking that given my current (and long term) situation, I need to find another schedule for my exercise. I know for sure that I can dedicate time on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone else had success with 3 workout sessions a week? How did you do it? Did you do full max out session those 3 days? Did you alternate cardio/weights/full body???

As a side note I am already set on 1200 cal for my allowance on MFP, any tweaks suggested to that are welcome as well.

I lost almost 20 lbs with diet alone. I didnt cheat once in the 3 weeks (no bad food & no alcohol). I logged my calories and kept the carb/protein level around 40% each. So this week, I started exercising and kept my calories the same... and I stopped losing weight! the scale hasnt moved all week. So I say, if you dont have the time for exercise, you can still do it with diet alone but you have to be super strict.
    I'm with you, I cant get up any earlier to exercise in the morning and I'm usually beat when I get home, but I think the real problem is making time for yourself. Maybe as soon as your husband gets home, you can tag him in, and you can go hit the gym for 45 minutes. Just try to get 20-30 minutes in - high intensity intervals between cardio and weights. if all you get is the weekends, do it. Like one of the other posts said, exercise is just a tool... get it when you can but focus more on nutrition.

Good luck!
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can you exercise during lunch and eat at your desk while you are working?
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight. You need to manage your calories and stick to your portions. You need exercise for excellent heart health, muscle, and strength. Use your lunch hour (or any breaks you have) to walk or do stairs at work. Get a fit bit and track your activity... try to get those steps in by parking far from work or walking more. But your job isn't making you fat. It's what you're eating (and how much you're eating) that is.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a good workout with minimal time needed, try a HIIT class or even at home DVD. Most can be done in 30 minutes or less. I've done both ripped in 30 and 30 day shred and feel great afterwards.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I think you should either move closer to work or look for a new job. A 4 hour commute is a bit crazy especially since you have a family.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a desk job. I am seated most of the day, and according to my FitBit, I only log on average 3500-4000 steps a day, so the extra activity is really needed. I do not have the finances to join a gym, but we do have simple gym equipment, such as a weight bench and treadmill at home that I try to use.

I will try tweaking with my deficit and lowering my weekly weight los goals and see where that gets me. Does anyone have any thoughts or info on adjusting carb, protein, etc intake?

Ditto on the lunchtime walk - or what about a desk bike? You can peddle all day and no one would ever know...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to exercise to lose or maintain a healthy weight. A calorie deficit is all you need (to lose). Put exercise on the back burner while you get your situation sorted out.
  • tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you have any time to squeeze in shorter workouts during the week? Maybe 10-15 minutes and have your longer workouts on the weekend. You could do a few minutes on the treadmill or some body weight workouts in that much time.

That must be tough with the long commute, but if you can squeeze in a few minutes here and there it adds up :)
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but you have my sympathy!
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you have enough time at lunch, I agree with the person who suggested using that time to add some exercise to your day. Even a simple walk at lunch time could be helpful! I'm also about to join you in this situation...I'm starting a new job next week and it's going to involve three hours per day commuting by train. I wish the train had exercise bikes or something installed, because the commute has taken away my morning workout time.