macros

Options
I have been playing around and changing my macros to try and accomodate my end result.

I normally do a 35-40 minute early morning workout 4-5 times a week.
My workout normally consisits of 15-20 mins HIIT and then a solid 20-25 minutes of heavy lifting.

My end goal is to lose about 20 more lbs, and gain more muscle, more defined muscle.

Has any one found a solid definite to set their macros at that is really working for them?

I believe I am currently set at 40%protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs

Does anyone have any better suggestions for what my end result is?

Keep up the hard work and have a great day!!!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is a good balance.

FYI, you can't gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. What you can do is retain the muscle you have, gain strength and endurance, and lose the fat over the muscles so it looks more defined. Continuing with the heavy lifing and hitting your calorie/macro goals. The only way to gain muscle, or bulk, is to eat at a calorie surplus.

Also, with 20 pounds to lose, make sure your goal is 1/2 to 1 pound per week - or 15% deficit if using TDEE method.

Best of luck!
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it

I will more then likely up my caloric intake after I shed some more fat and lbs in order to gain more muslce, but until then I will continue to stick with 40/30/30 and keep maintaining the muscle i currently have!
  • kate0222
    Options
    Hey-- I recently just started weight training and I'm hearing so many people tell me I should "count my macros" but I have no idea how to start or what to do. I saw this post & figured I could maybe get some help? I'd really appreciate it! :)
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    message me and ill walk u thru it :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I usually just try to hit a certain amount of protein and the rest usually falls into place. I'm wondering if I should redefine my macro goals...
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Macros are what make up calories. Protein, Carbs, and Fats are your macros (and alcohol, but we leave that out).
    Counting your macros is simply a matter of eating your daily target of each of these.
    For instance (200g Carbs / 120g Protein / 60g Fat). You can get a good starting idea of what you want at iifym.com.

Following this really gives you a good baseline, and allows you to modify to meet your goals. Its not really that technical at all. Its basically just counting calories, only there is the additional component of also tracking what makes up those calories.
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Check out iifym.com

If it Fits Your Macros... its a great site and caculates out where you should be at your macros, based on the info you put... When I have stuck to it I dropped wieght super quick! But it is very hard sticking to it for more than a few days at least for me... the carbs are pretty low and protein pretty high for me so can be tricky... but it works!