Feet position doing push ups

Options
I read the post regarding not being able to complete a push up. Great advice. I am currently working on knee push ups to strengthen my chest & arms. I started at 1 set of 3 knee push ups. I am currently up to 2 sets of 7 knee push ups. Prior to starting each set, I try to complete one proper push up.
I now realize from reading the previous push up post that my hand placement was all wrong! My next question is, feet together or feet shoulder width apart while doing a proper push up? Also, should you be on your tippy toes or toes flattened?

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    There are different styles of pushups to do. BUT, I keep my toes flat (not sure I could do them on my tippy tippy toes!). You can put your feet close, a shoulder width, or wider than that.... I think that part is less important... just my opinion :smile:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Personally I keep my feet together, unless I'm doing diamonds, then I spread my feet apart quite wide.

Rigger
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong position for pushups.

For either hands or feet. The different positions work different muscles.

If I do pushups my feet are shoulder width apart and my hands are about the same..but sometimes I make my hands wider, my feet wider or even closer...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slightly apart is easier than closer together.

nine out of ten times- I dont' have both feet on the ground at all- so it winds up being a moot point.

You can actually work from your knees doing single leg elevated (so one knee down- one toe/leg out) or one knee down- one leg/toe lifted.

I would recommend getting off your knees and doing them elevated- so using a desk- table/chair whatever and slowly work your way down- it's a more realistic transition than trying to come UP from the floor off your knees.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Feet apart - but I appreciate that many experts say differently. But it depends upon you and your own muscle balance (or lack of). Try a slow push up with your feet firmly together, concentrate on how the back of your thighs and lower back feel.

Recover and then do it again, this time with your feet hip width apart, slowly, and feel your thighs, back and 'lower abs'.

You should notice quite a difference, especially if you are concentrating on the position of your back as well. It is all to do with the number of assistor and stabiliser muscles you recruit. Which is also why people start playing with hand and feet positions....

JoRocka has given you a couple of really interesting ideas to try....

Good luck :)
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting off your knees and doing them elevated- so using a desk- table/chair whatever and slowly work your way down- it's a more realistic transition than trying to come UP from the floor off your knees.
    This is what worked for me... Thousands of knee pushups got me nowhere.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Standard pushup is palms down, hands shoulder width apart, straight torso and legs, with feet together on the balls of your feet.

Top is straight elbows, bottom is chest lightly touching the ground. Anything else is a variant, and variants are fine too.

Excellent suggestion. Just keep in mind that if you want it to help you, you shouldn't be elevating your feet any more than a few inches, otherwise you'll make it harder.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Standard pushup is palms down, hands shoulder width apart, straight torso and legs, with feet together on the balls of your feet.

Top is straight elbows, bottom is chest lightly touching the ground. Anything else is a variant, and variants are fine too.

Excellent suggestion. Just keep in mind that if you want it to help you, you shouldn't be elevating your feet any more than a few inches, otherwise you'll make it harder.

elevating your hands.... sorry I could have made that more clear! not the feet for modifying the push up to an easier variation.

hands elevated- feet on the floor for training the push up in a modified position. These seem to be far superior to knee push ups for progression for so many many reasons.

For me feet elevated- the higher the better- harder is the point =p things to work toward LOL
  • Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always understood that the closer the feet the more your core is working. For example, I have stacked my feet on top of each other and have really felt it in my abs. Same as a single leg pushup.

I agree with the start high with your hands philosophy. In September, I shattered my wrist. Part of my recover was starting with wall push-ups and working my way down to the ground. I can only do one or two "proper" ground push-ups because my wrist is still weak.

As you move your hands closer and further together you do begin to work different muscles. Wide push-ups do more shouldar and back while diamond push-ups do more tri-ceps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I read the post regarding not being able to complete a push up. Great advice. I am currently working on knee push ups to strengthen my chest & arms. I started at 1 set of 3 knee push ups. I am currently up to 2 sets of 7 knee push ups. Prior to starting each set, I try to complete one proper push up.
    I now realize from reading the previous push up post that my hand placement was all wrong! My next question is, feet together or feet shoulder width apart while doing a proper push up? Also, should you be on your tippy toes or toes flattened?

Feet together, balls of the feet on the wall.