ideas for low sugar snacks?

Options
Does anyone have solid ideas for low sugar snacks? I go over on my sugar intake every single day. I'm cutting back on fruit, but most of the snacks I would eat were fruit based... an apple, a banana, etc.

Any suggestions for low sugar snacks, or advice on lowering sugar intake in general?
thanks!

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    MFP sugar limits are very low. If your sugar is coming from natural sources that include vitamins and minerals versus refined white granules and your calories are fine, don't stress over it. You might be the only one at the office who doesn't catch a cold this season because you had a clementine for a snack every day. :wink:
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese. Or any of the little cheese packets.

Nuts are good, but watch the serving size. Some of the salted ones seem to have an ingredient maltodextrose which I think is a form of sugar.

There has been a lot of discussion here about sugar and how MFP measures it. Personally, I think that sugar from fruits and vegetables are ok, but sugars in processed foods are not. You have to make your own decisions.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    MFP sugar limits are very low. If your sugar is coming from natural sources that include vitamins and minerals versus refined white granules and your calories are fine, don't stress over it. You might be the only one at the office who doesn't catch a cold this season because you had a clementine for a snack every day. :wink:

^^^ What she said!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yea fruit sugars are totally fine! It's the candy and cookie sugars that can become too much sometimes.
  • lizp94
    lizp94 Posts: 14
    Options
    I think the sugar from fruits is fine but it's those darned sugars in everything else that mess me up to! LOL!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have solid ideas for low sugar snacks? I go over on my sugar intake every single day. I'm cutting back on fruit, but most of the snacks I would eat were fruit based... an apple, a banana, etc.

Any suggestions for low sugar snacks, or advice on lowering sugar intake in general?
    thanks!
    Unless you're diabetic, sugar is not something you need to bother tracking, as it's just a carb. As long as you aren't going over your carb or calorie limits, the amount of sugar doesn't matter (again, barring any specific, diagnosed medical condition.)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar to 90g because MFPs is so low

String Cheese

Cottage Cheese

Greek Yogurt (read the label)

Hummus and veggies (carrots and cucumber)

Low fat jerky

Tree nuts. I like almonds and pistachios.

I also like dark berries since they are so high in fiber.
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cheeeeeese, such as string cheese, cottage cheese, Laughing Cow, etc. Hard boiled egg. Veggies dipped in hummus. Deli meat slices rolled up with cheese or lettuce/sprouts. Raw or dry-roasted nuts & seeds (measure out your serving size on these, easy to over indulge otherwise).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Doesn't matter where it comes from. Sugar is just a carb, so if you are tracking carbs, you are already tracking sugar. No need to track it twice.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Do you drink Juices, Sugar content in juice is higher than many pops. The note that MFP sugar goals are low is right, but the thing is all sugars (Fruit or processed) will convert straight to fat if tyou aren't burning them right away, So having a high sugar fruit like an orange before or just post workout won't be a big issue, eating it as a snack at night while watching TV not such a good idea
  • HappyVeganKitty
    HappyVeganKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fruit helped me loose over 70 lbs so I don't understand why people thing fruit sugars are fattening. This being said, low sugar foods, Carrot sticks (not baby carrots the chlorine coming out is nasty) and Hummus, Celery and nut butters, Brocoili and a handful of nuts, Sugar snap peas (actually really low GI despite sugar being in the name) Avacodo chocolate pudding (mash an avacodo with coco powder, stevia and a splash of almond milk its amazing but works best in a food processor) You will see I am combining veg with a fat of some sort, this works with fruit too, apples and almond butter rock!, it helps to keep the blood sugar stable and also it's more satisfying than fruit or veg on their own. Goodluck!
  • mary190136
    mary190136 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I should revise my question... Any ideas for low sugar, DAIRY FREE snacks? :)
    I have no medical issues with sugar, I'm just trying to achieve weight loss. I do have a dairy allergy, so no string cheese for me!
    thanks so much!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do you drink Juices, Sugar content in juice is higher than many pops. The note that MFP sugar goals are low is right, but the thing is all sugars (Fruit or processed) will convert straight to fat if tyou aren't burning them right away, So having a high sugar fruit like an orange before or just post workout won't be a big issue, eating it as a snack at night while watching TV not such a good idea

This is not true, especially since the OP is eating at deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You'd need to eat close to 1000 grams of sugar a day before it started being converted to fat. You do know you burn calories (50/50 sugar/fat) 24 hours a day, right?