I am a better runner than I ever was

Options
Hi!

This week I improved my running record; I can do 8 kilometers in 35 minutes now (14.7 km/h). My previous record, which was 2 months ago, was 2 kilometers in 8 minute 29 seconds (14.2 km/h). I know, this is crazy progress! It's possible because I don't smoke anymore and because I've been training consistently for many months. Perhaps the cold weather helped to get my viking blood flowing! :)

I am in my mid twenties now and I am more fit than I was in my teens, even though I am 12 kg heavier; so I now have proof that I gained a lot of muscle mass since I was 18, something I always thought. I was a running since I was 16 and ran quite a lot, but never this fast over such a distance! :)

Since I am still losing and still training, I expect to keep improving. I expect that I can do 10 kilometers in less than 40 meters in a few months, which is my next milestone! :)

I am really happy with this! :) I hope it encourages you to keep going, real progress is possible!

Cheers,
Jasper

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Congratulations!
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well done :D I am just getting started with running myself!
  • rungurl3
    rungurl3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep up the great work... and remember... all runs are good runs!
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can do 8 kilometers in 35 minutes now (14.7 km/h). My previous record, which was 2 months ago, was 2 kilometers in 8 minute 29 seconds (14.2 km/h). I know, this is crazy progress!

Your math doesn't make sense to me, so I can't really figure out what the improvement is. Do you mean 7k in 8:29?
  • JasperTheStudent
    Options
    You are right, I did the 8 km distance with 13.7 km/h, not 14.7. So my average speed is 5 km/h slower than the average speed I had on my 2 km. Mystery of magic speed increase solved.

Still it's 1 km/h faster than what I was able to do a month ago.

And I'd say that I am now not the best runner I was, but equally good as my teenager me. Who knows, next month another 1 km/h faster? Highly unlikely but we'll see!
  • magnusblikstad
    magnusblikstad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've found that I recover a lot quicker now that I've dropped some of my extra weight. So while my times are not overly faster, my enjoyment of the sport is higher. Good going on your improvement though.
  • JasperTheStudent
    Options
    My recovery is also much quicker, but I think the cause is that I have been running for many months now, so my body has got used to this activity. So you say that weight is also a factor here?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!