cheap protein foods

Options
About to walk to the grocery store, can someone tell me some high protein foods that are cheap? I really don't have a lot of money in my food budget (most of it is eaten up by fresh veggies) and I have a hard time hitting my protein macro every day (need around 119 going by the 1 per lbm). Thanks!

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Beans, yogurt, milk, cheeses, peanut butter.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has around 12g of protein and around here they run for about $1 each. That's not super cheap, especially if you buy lots of them at once, but it's quite a bit of protein in a single serving.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, eggs
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Cans of Tuna, chicken or salmon
    Greek yogurt
    String cheese
    Edamame
    Protein powder
  • sirabbadon
    sirabbadon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    McDonald's double cheese burger. Or better yet... the meat from one double cheese burger (throw out the bun) and insert said meat into another double cheese burger.

I call it the McDonald's quadruple cheeseburger. ~50g protein for $2.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eggs!

We buy ours at a farmers market, and it works out to roughly 20 cents per egg. Great source of protein and healthy fats!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    McDonald's double cheese burger. Or better yet... the meat from one double cheese burger (throw out the bun) and insert said meat into another double cheese burger.

I like you.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Tuna and string cheese
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna or chicken
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt (especially the nonfat variety). Cheap and easy. Eggs also high in protein for the cost.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eggs,
    egg whites,
    protein powder is cheap/serving,
    Milk,
    Can of Tuna,
    Canned meat,
    Yogurt,
  • strongestgirl10
    strongestgirl10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    almonds or any sort of nuts.
  • rungurl3
    rungurl3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has around 12g of protein and around here they run for about $1 each. That's not super cheap, especially if you buy lots of them at once, but it's quite a bit of protein in a single serving.

Aldi's has their own brand, equal to OIKOS, that costs, like 67 cents a cup. Delicious and cheap!
  • trottz16
    Options
    Protein powder from online sites, they work out to be the most cost effective. 5 lbs can last you a few months and you can get it online for roughly $50.

Use it as your breakfast and replace what you're having now, the middle range stuff will give you 50g of Protein in 2 scoops! It's works out to be roughly 30 cents a day for a shake when you mix it with water. For a little extra taste go 1/2 water 1/2 skim milk and you'll get some extra calcium and a bit of protein there as well.

Other foods might be inexpensive in small batches compared to $50 once, but you'll spend way less on the Whey proteins over the long run.
  • rungurl3
    rungurl3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

BUUUT... soooo much fat and sodium, and CALORIES!

I know, mood-killah!
  • erickirb
    Options

This makes me sad, as this in Canada would be more like $3
  • erickirb
    Options

BUUUT... soooo much fat and sodium, and CALORIES!

I know, mood-killah!

Then don't eat the bun, you will remove some cals (carbs) and sodium.
  • czgarcia
    Options
    I'm with the others on eggs, yogurt, nuts, cheese and tuna. Cheese can get pricey and yogurt is if you buy the individual containers. I buy the 32oz size and serve myself from that and it works out much cheaper. I have chickens, so eggs are not an issue for me :) Find tuna on sale or try one of the big discount places. Good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    chicken. I don't know how much it is there but here it's only $1.77/pound. I get like 6 pounds for $10-$11.

also greek yogurt and cottage cheese and eggs...
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

This makes me sad, as this in Canada would be more like $3

How much does a gallon milk cost in Canada? Just curious, cause I am going on vacation there. LOL, I know it is illegal, to smuggle dairy products over the border.