Thinning out big thighs

Options
I've got some chunky thighs that I'd like to get rid of and I was wondering which excercises would help me the best.
Will squats make them bigger?
Anyone been able to succeed in thinning them out?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As you lose more fat, your thighs should lean out. There's no way to target fat, sorry.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cant' spot reduce. Drop fat overall and it will eventually come off of your thighs. Squats will not make anything 'bigger' while eating at a caloric deficit. (They may make your bum perkier though. Fingers crossed)
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    100 pounds gone here and still trying to tone them out. But have faith ... we'll get there
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Cant' spot reduce. Drop fat overall and it will eventually come off of your thighs. Squats will not make anything 'bigger' while eating at a caloric deficit. (They may make your bum perkier though. Fingers crossed)

Yup, yup. I've been doing heavy weight squats for 2+ years. The only time my thighs got bigger was when I was eating 3000 calories a day, and then they only grew by about 1.5".
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    My thighs are the biggest part of my body. They are slimming down with fat loss.
    As for exercise, i do squats, deadlifts, walking lunges, step ups, leg press, leg extensions, etc. My leg are shaping up nicely. i notice the biggest differences when my diet is on point.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It's time for school. Take a seat. :smokin:

All of this works exactly the same for men as for women. There is no such thing as a man workout or a woman workout, that's bull**** marketing.

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain Weight (be it Fat or Muscle)
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Toned Look = Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

Recipe for Ripped Look = Even Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You can't spot reduce fat with exercise or diet, so where/when/how the fat comes off depends on your genetics. Usually first on means last off... is what it is. Keep lowering BF% until you're happy. You do this by eating a deficit of calories. If you screw up a day or a week or whatever, don't worry, just get back on it. No shame. You'll start looking better and getting compliments well short of reaching your actual goals anyway. Big plus. How noticable it is though depends on how much you have to loose.

Your body's natural shape is also determined by genetics, and unless it's fat that's giving you size, you're going to have trouble getting rid of it. Also, you cannot influence the shape of muscle, only size.

You have to eat a surplus of calories to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

So... don't worry about getting bulky, whether you're a man or a woman. Getting bulky is slow for men and even more difficult for women, so you'll know well in advance when you're approaching whatever aesthetic goal you're aiming for.

My book recommendation, and *I swear on my life* it will help you and is worth your time to read, is "New Rules of Lifting" (they have one geared a bit more towards women as well, although there's 0% difference in the way this works for either sex). The program at the very end of the book is kinda "fluffy" lol, but it's perfectly fine to use if you like it. If not...

An excellent starting program is Stronglifts 5x5, doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. Uses the five main, fundamental compound movements to build strength, and it's a simple workout that hits nearly every muscle in your body. Do that for a while to start, and then use "ICF 5x5" to up the volume a bit and keep the "5x5" compound lifts for strength (just review the programs and you'll see what I mean).
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have always had HUGE thunder thighs even when I was slim....since I gained weight they became GINORMOUS but within this month from me eating at deficit and doing the stairmaster/elliptical they have slimmed down sooooooooo much to the point where my pants are just sliding right on...I would definitely recommend those machines just to tone up that area...they work wonders.
  • just35lbstogo
    just35lbstogo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have what feel like GIANT thighs also. Cardio has always helped me to get the fat off (obviously). I used to use the AMT machine at the gym (it's similar to an elliptical). Squats alone won't do much in thinning them but squats and cardio would help. I suggest lunges too. There are lots of different "thigh thinning" exercises you can do. I've pinned quite a few of them on Pinterest.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Check out Brazil Butt Lift by BeachBody... It not only lifts the butt. I lost inches in my thighs & hips.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

All of this works exactly the same for men as for women. There is no such thing as a man workout or a woman workout, that's bull**** marketing.

Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Ripped Look = Even Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You can't spot reduce fat with exercise or diet, so where/when/how the fat comes off depends on your genetics. Usually first on means last off... is what it is. Keep lowering BF% until you're happy. You do this by eating a deficit of calories. If you screw up a day or a week or whatever, don't worry, just get back on it. No shame. You'll start looking better and getting compliments well short of reaching your actual goals anyway. Big plus. How noticable it is though depends on how much you have to loose.

Your body's natural shape is also determined by genetics, and unless it's fat that's giving you size, you're going to have trouble getting rid of it. Also, you cannot influence the shape of muscle, only size.

You have to eat a surplus of calories to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

So... don't worry about getting bulky, whether you're a man or a woman. Getting bulky is slow for men and even more difficult for women, so you'll know well in advance when you're approaching whatever aesthetic goal you're aiming for.

My book recommendation, and *I swear on my life* it will help you and is worth your time to read, is "New Rules of Lifting" (they have one geared a bit more towards women as well, although there's 0% difference in the way this works for either sex). The program at the very end of the book is kinda "fluffy" lol, but it's perfectly fine to use if you like it. If not...

An excellent starting program is Stronglifts 5x5, doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. Uses the five main, fundamental compound movements to build strength, and it's a simple workout that hits nearly every muscle in your body. Do that for a while to start, and then use "ICF 5x5" to up the volume a bit and keep the "5x5" compound lifts for strength (just review the programs and you'll see what I mean).
    If I wasn't already married, I would ask for this post's hand in marriage. :love:
  • Achrya
    Options

Well damn. No need for me to post again
  • DOOMTOWNE
    DOOMTOWNE Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I'm going to copy and paste this everywhere. I'll credit you in every way possible, but it is going to be used.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Proud owner of Thunder Thighs, Big Hips, and a Big A** here!
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I have always had HUGE thunder thighs even when I was slim....since I gained weight they became GINORMOUS but within this month from me eating at deficit and doing the stairmaster/elliptical they have slimmed down sooooooooo much to the point where my pants are just sliding right on...I would definitely recommend those machines just to tone up that area...they work wonders.

The machine actually did nothing for your thighs. If you're going to spend the time and energy to get in the gym, you need to do yourself a favor and read a bit about this stuff too. It'll help you so much. Great book is New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll help you understand all of this stuff so much better.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

:love:
  • missmndz
    missmndz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for everyones responses! :) So I'm not going to be scared about doing lunges/squats and am going to add them to my workout routine. Hopefully, I'll be able to bring my BF% down and tone them once I loose weight overall. I've been jogging on a treadmill at home, and hiking, biking and 5lb dumbell arm workouts along with using myfitnesspal to track my food intake. Thanks again :)
  • missmndz
    Options
    Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will be checking out that book you mentioned
  • missmndz
    Options
    I have what feel like GIANT thighs also. Cardio has always helped me to get the fat off (obviously). I used to use the AMT machine at the gym (it's similar to an elliptical). Squats alone won't do much in thinning them but squats and cardio would help. I suggest lunges too. There are lots of different "thigh thinning" exercises you can do. I've pinned quite a few of them on Pinterest.

Good idea to check out pinterest for excercises (i've been using it mostly for food recipes lol)
  • juicyjae7221
    juicyjae7221 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have always had huge thighs and the excess weight only made them bigger.... Sleeved on friday 1/24/14 and my thighs gotta go!
  • Achrya
    Options

Testify!