Macro/Micronutrient tracking?

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering how everyone tracks and set their macronutrient percentages. I *really don't like how MFP has the standard at 50% carbs. I'm borderline hypoglycemic so obviously the only carbs I want or need in my diet are veggies and fruits.

What are your goals? why do you have them set that way? How are they working for you?

Feel free to respond here so we can chat or add me and we can encourage each other and swap results =)

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    change your carbs to want you want; just customize it. Best of luck.
  • thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well yes, I get that. that's what I do. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing that, and how it works for them.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Well yes, I get that. that's what I do. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing that, and how it works for them.

OP are you asking if other people are customizing their MACROS? Or are you asking if people are trying to derive the majority of their carbs from fruit and veggies? OR are you asking something else entirely?
  • Whambam087
    Options
    I'm not trying to go for any specific macros but I want to hold onto/build lean muscle so my protein goal is set to 0.8 to 1 g per pound of body weight. Fat comes to about 0.4-0.5 g per pound of body weight and the rest of my calories are filled with carbs. That comes to about 40 (carbs)/30 (protein)/30 (fat).
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think I cut mine carbs down to like 45%. I love carbs. It's just not feasible to me to get even 40% of my cals from Protein as I am very iffy about meat. It's nothing ethical, it's purely about the texture of meat. Sometimes I crave a steak, sometimes I am repelled by the though of chicken. It varies. I am always disgusted by eggs, but I make myself eat them as the texture once cooked is pretty even. I like tofu, but I don't cook enough to make this a constant source of protein. I drink a lot of milk to try to make up for what I lack, but I rarely hit the mark unless I flat out eat a hunk of meat, which I can force maybe every 3rd day at best.

So, basically I have my macros set the way I do because that's the reality of what I'm willing to eat. It might not be optimal, but I'm trying to be relaistic about the long term. I do want to lose weight, but I also want to be healthy while doing it and establish eating patterns that I can stick to long term. I wish I didn't love my carbs quite so much, but I do.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I don't always get it exactly right, but most of the time I'm only a couple of % points away from each. It seems to work for me. The pie chart on the app is really helpful, especially when I have some extra calories left and I'm hungry...I can see what sort of snack I need to make to sort the figures out hahaha :-)
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    The first two. I want to know how much % of each everyone is eating, and why, and how it's working for them!
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I see that for lean muscle/fat loss in these comments, people are reducing their carbs and increasing their proteins and fats. I have mine currently set for 30/40/30 c/f/p but I've only been tracking a short while and haven't started weight lifting yet so I'm not seeing a ton or results yet. I've never really been a big carb lover, so ALL of my sugars are fruits and veggies,sometimes some beans and rice
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    I'm a 20/50/30 c/f/p,I find that's what works best for me,so I keep my carbs for pre and post workout

Did you have trouble adjusting to this ratio at first or did you gradually get here?
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm currently aiming for c45%/p35%/f25%. I
    t seems to be working for me - I saw a big loss after a few weeks of nothing after switching up from c40%/30/30 which had worked well for me previously at a lower weight. I also found adding in fibre helpful - I think this aided in digesting the higher protein levels, which derive mostly from meat in my diet.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm wondering how everyone tracks and set their macronutrient percentages. I *really don't like how MFP has the standard at 50% carbs. I'm borderline hypoglycemic so obviously the only carbs I want or need in my diet are veggies and fruits.

What are your goals? why do you have them set that way? How are they working for you?

Feel free to respond here so we can chat or add me and we can encourage each other and swap results =)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    You are working with 100 percent. There is a formula for protein; so that will give you that number when you plug in all your information. Carbs need to be fairly low, no more than 100 grams for weight loss. The rest is fat and will set itself.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a big carb lover
    I didn't know this existed. :huh:

:wink:
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    I've never really been a big carb lover
    I didn't know this existed. :huh:

:wink:

The formula is : Take your weight in lbs. then divide it by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms. Multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8 if you are sedentary, up to 1.8 depending on your exercise. 1.8 would be for a bodybuilder.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I do a 40/30/30 (carb/pro/fat) split. I feel like it spreads the macros out pretty well and allows me some flexibility if I go over or under here and there on any one of them. As a side not, when I am training hard the only macro that I increase to make up the calories needed is carbs.