Calories vs nutiritional value

Options
Sigh...

Does anyone else think more about the calories in food rather than the health/nutritional value?

I made some homemade Larabars last night (dates, almonds, walnuts, and a handful of choc chips). Chocolate notwithstanding, it's a healthy snack. But, I balked at the 220 calories it netted out to be (and this jives with the calorie on the packaged Larabars).

I don't know why I'm so focused on the number of cals rather than the health value. I know certain foods "pack a punch" more than others...but I get so "crazed" about a small little bar having 200 calories...

Anyone else?

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

Does anyone else think more about the calories in food rather than the health/nutritional value?

I try to avoid enriched wheat, white bread, white rice, and fruit juices simply because they provide calories, but the body absorbs them too quickly and you get a blood sugar spike. Other than that, I balance the protein/fat/carbs out and eat the number of calories I am allowed.

Mike
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm close to my protein goal and under my calories at the end of the day, I honestly couldn't care less what the nutritional value of what I eat is.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I totally do, but I'm trying to convince myself to focus more on my macros. I swear, if left alone, I will consume 1300 calories of pizza and call it a day. :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

I made some homemade Larabars last night (dates, almonds, walnuts, and a handful of choc chips). Chocolate notwithstanding, it's a healthy snack. But, I balked at the 220 calories it netted out to be (and this jives with the calorie on the packaged Larabars).

I don't know why I'm so focused on the number of cals rather than the health value. I know certain foods "pack a punch" more than others...but I get so "crazed" about a small little bar having 200 calories...

Anyone else?

If you're trying to lose weight then you definitely need to pay attention to calories. You can gain weight eating 'healthy' food, just as easily as you can gain weight eating anything else, if it pushes you over your allotted calorie amount. Weight loss is about calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So eat half of one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you should be cognizant of both...
  • skinnybearerika
    skinnybearerika Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that Nutritional value is of equal importance to calories :) but Lara bars aren't all that great. Luna bars seem better (more food for calories). The lara bars are so tiny :( they barely put a dent in my hunger and then thats 220 calories gone. You can try making a meal out them by eating them with greek yogurt and piece of fruit. BUT If they don't fill you up as a snack then ditch them. Eat the raw ingredients instead (fruits/nuts).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I try to get maximum nutrition with minimal calories... then fill up the remaining calories with whatever food or drink I like.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly obsessed with my numbers when I'm on my game,but not so much the calories but the macros, keeping carbs in check & getting enough protein is key for me.

I work with a lady who is vegan, shes tiny & in great shape, she never counts calories or numbers period. She eats non stop, nuts, fruit,veggies, lots of stuff, so when I look at her as an example I believe that eating healthy foods is the way to go, no matter what their numbers. If only I could wrap my head around it & follow her example
    :ohwell:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I've become slightly obsessed with the amount of protein in the foods I eat. Not stuff like ice cream or Pop Tarts, which I don't expect, but when I see "good source of protein" on a package, I expect it to be a "good source of protein". It's mostly a combination of both for me, except for whatever treat I'm having, because I try to keep everything within my macros. Except today, with an unexpected trip to Qdoba. :smile:
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    After my BF broke her wrist and they found early stage osteoporosis at age 40, I try to keep in mind what's contained in my calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I'm so focused on the number of cals rather than the health value.

Probably because you're trying to lose weight, and restricting calories is the only way to achieve that.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    calories are also important for good health. no body can live without energy. but the body balance is also necessary for looking well. if you balanced your body mass you can try anything which can be delicious to eat.