Can i eat anything when trying to lose weight?

Options
my Goal to reach is 1600 calories a day (roughly around there) and i'm trying to lose 2 lbs per week so my question is can i really eat anything i want, besides fast food, junk foods, and possibly some sweets, because I've been searching on what people eat at they told me to eat what ever i want just smaller portions. can anyone confirm or help me?

Replies

• tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I lost 98 lbs in a year and have maintained that for a year and am now losing again. I eat whatever foods I want. I'm too picky so I don't eat fruits/vegetables, etc... My day basically consists of fruit loops, candy, frozen french fries, pretzels, popcorn, tacos, homemade pizza (occasional frozen pizza) and spaghetti or something along those lines. You can for sure lose eating whatever you want as long as you are within your calories.
  • curlygalore
    Options
    It's all about portion control! I truly believe that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's in moderation. Adding in some exercise is helpful, as well. For me, portion control has made losing the weight and KEEPING IT OFF possible. I've tried the low-carb thing, I've tried pills, I've tried working out every day for hours a day. The only "diet" I've had any success with is watching how much food I put in my mouth. You can do it!!!
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you can eat whatever you want as long as you have portion control and stay within your allowed calories for the day.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat "fast food, junk food, and sweets." Fit it into your numbers, don't cheat, and you'll lose weight.

Disclaimer: By cheat, I simply mean don't consistently sneak additional portions/food/whatever and not count it.

Keep in mind that going over on calories once in a while isn't a big deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Calories are a unit of energy...your weight is a bi-product of your energy consumption and expenditure.

If you consume less energy (calories) than your body needs to perform the functions of keeping you alive, providing energy for day to day hum drum activity, and provide adequate energy for exercise, your body must dip into it's energy reserves (fat stores) to make up the difference. Thus you burn fat and lose weight...note that you also burn muscle and the bigger your calorie deficit, the more likely it is to burn equal parts muscle and fat, particularly in the absence of resistance training.

If you consume a balance of energy, you will maintain. If you consume a surplus of energy, that energy will be either stored as fat, or if you're doing a good job in the weight room, building mostly muscle while putting on a little bit of fat.

The foods that make up your diet have little to do with losing weight unless you have medical conditions or allergies that would cause these foods to mess with your metabolism. The foods that make up your diet will be imperative to getting proper nutrition, but not to weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 calories... my diary is open. I try to meet my protein macro, after that I eat whatever.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 calories... my diary is open. I try to meet my protein macro, after that I eat whatever.

^^ same here!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Works for me as well. As long as you're in your calorie limit, enjoy whatever you want.
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control! I truly believe that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's in moderation. Adding in some exercise is helpful, as well. For me, portion control has made losing the weight and KEEPING IT OFF possible. I've tried the low-carb thing, I've tried pills, I've tried working out every day for hours a day. The only "diet" I've had any success with is watching how much food I put in my mouth. You can do it!!!
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    IIFYM all the way!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion, I would say yes for the most part. I would pay the most attention to starch. I actually posted something about it in this thread. You might find it helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1189432-losing-body-fat-useful-information
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eam whatever I want I just watch how much I eat of eat. I do make sure that I am eating more food than junk food because junk food to not get you full its just a temporary fix. I lost 25lbs in 3 months eating whatever I want.
  • kycfj
    kycfj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Can i eat anything when trying to lose weight"

YES.....please eat something....if you don't eat anything, you will get sick and at some point will die

:laugh:
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but I do try and opt for food I know will keep me fuller for longer. I also avoid my trigger foods, it's simple things for me that kick me cravings like boiled sweets, marshmallows rich tea/digestive biscuits. I am a grazer so eat little and often, getting too hungry can result in eating whatever is available
    Basically get to know what suits you and what doesn't, make sure you aren't hungry and stay within your calorie allowance.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yep, all about portions. Just try to stay away from the empty calories and all the junk you know you SHOULDNT eat.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    To lose weight simply requires a calorie deficit. A calorie is a calorie. you can eat whatever you want as long as its at a calorie deficit.

For health and nutrition, a calorie does not equal a calorie. You want foods that will fuel your body.

It depends on what your goals are, if you want to simply lose weight then eat at a deficit.
    If you want to eat a balanced diet with more nutritious foods then you need to change which types of food you eat.

A good way to start eating more healthy items is to make one change at a time. Eat a piece of fruit with breakfast every day, cook with whole grains, change out pop for water, etc.
  • Vinodiet
    Vinodiet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wine and light beer are a regular part of my diet. wait, before you laugh yourself senseless I've lost 18 lbs in just a couple of months. I stick to about 1,600 cal's a day. Here's an example of what I may eat during a regular day: 2 egg omelet with wilted spinach and a slice of American swiss for breakfast. 90 cal breakfast bar as a snack around 10am. 140 cal fiber bar at around noon, 1 banana at 3pm. Grilled Mahi Mahi with lemon pepper and steam Brussels sprouts for dinner and I finish it off with as much of a bottle of Pinot Noir as I can fit in to stay under 1600. Sat & Sun I hit the weights heavy and that's my only exercise. I work out hard though and make sure I'm sore for 2 to 3 days after the workout. It's nice to sit on the couch and watch Breaking Bad reruns knowing I'm still burning cals from lifting on the weekend.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Eat what you want, in moderation. And make sure the treats are treats - not your entire diet. Yes, as long as you stay under your calorie goals you'll lose weight no matter what you eat, but you want to stay healty not just lose weight.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, just track it all, and eat less than you daily requirement and walla……just like magic you will drop pounds.

The rest is just noise….
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    hit your macros... boost protein in them. set a calorie deficit. log all food and e ersise. you can then eat what you want as long as you hit you macros :) and keep near your calorie target :)