Ok I need an opinion please!

Options
Ok so I started my weight-loss journey 1-27-14 and I weighted in at 268.6 I am now on day three weighing in at 255 is it normal to drop this much weight so fast without doing anything but changing up my diet? I have a calorie intake of 1200 with no exercise.....

Replies

• alwayspleasant
    alwayspleasant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's normal - never happened to me. Although, I suggest only weighing once a week or so and to track your moving average. A lot can change day by day - or not. Good luck! :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly normal especially at your starting weight. What you're seeing is water weight. It's not real fat loss. It's just your body adapting to the change. This is why so many of those "7-day" scam diets can promise 10+lb returns. It's all water. If you go back to eating like you were, it will come right back on.

Keep doing what you're doing. The rate you lose will slow a lot. Don't be upset. What you lose from then on is representative of the amount of fat you're actually losing.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly normal especially at your starting weight. What you're seeing is water weight. It's not real fat loss. It's just your body adapting to the change. This is why so many of those "7-day" scam diets can promise 10+lb returns. It's all water. If you go back to eating like you were, it will come right back on.

Keep doing what you're doing. The rate you lose will slow a lot. Don't be upset. What you lose from then on is representative of the amount of fat you're actually losing.
    +1
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

+2
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Most of it is water weight. Start exercising and eat back at least half the calories, 1200 calories is too low, you have a lot to lose ( like myself, no offence intended ) and it will be a hard road on such low calories. I am set to lose 1 pound per week, my calories are 1570, and I eat back some exercise calories. Every day I eat between 1500/1900 calories, currently I'm losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week ( due to not eating all exercise calories ) but I'm very happy with a pound or even a half pound as my eating plan is not a diet and does not feel like one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest to eat much more than 1200 calories at your weight. You could probably still eat 2000 and still lose, and you'd be much less likely to burn out.

Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see what it tells you for a 20% deficit.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest to eat much more than 1200 calories at your weight. You could probably still eat 2000 and still lose, and you'd be much less likely to burn out.

Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see what it tells you for a 20% deficit.

this!

Why eat so little when you can eat nice amounts of food and lose?

Read more here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok so I started my weight-loss journey 1-27-14 and I weighted in at 268.6 I am now on day three weighing in at 255 is it normal to drop this much weight so fast without doing anything but changing up my diet? I have a calorie intake of 1200 with no exercise.....
    I personally think 1200 at your size is too few calories. Did MFP really set you up with this amount?

I m sure the quick drop is water weight.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

This. You're going to get burned out fast on so few calories.
  • donnasebastian1
    donnasebastian1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My doctor did 1200. MFP did 1300.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My doctor did 1200. MFP did 1300.

is your doctor a trained nutritionist who updates himself on the latest research? It's impossible for all doctors to be 100% up to date on all areas, so do your own research. Look at the links I provided earlier. Generaly for severly obese people it's ok to drop to VLCD (very low calorie diet) for a short period of time, however long term this is likely to do more damage and you may end up light but not fit.
  • Agathist
    Agathist Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MFP only gave you 1300? I'm starting at a very similar weight and it gives me 1800 a day to lose 2 lbs a week! I would be starving only eating 1200 calories.
  • donnasebastian1
    Options
    Yes only 1300.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes only 1300.

What were your settings to get 1300
  • cmendoza13
    Options

Exactly!! You're obviously doing something right, so keep it up!
  • donnasebastian1
    Options
    Current Weight: lbs 251.2
    Goal Weight: lbs 125
    Height: ft in 5 ft 4 in
    Male
    Female *

Date of Birth 7-18-1984

gave me a calorie goal of just over 1300
  • g1ngermark
    g1ngermark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Current Weight: lbs 251.2
    Goal Weight: lbs 125
    Height: ft in 5 ft 4 in
    Male
    Female *

Date of Birth 7-18-1984

gave me a calorie goal of just over 1300

How much did you say you wanted to lose per week?
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been on a diet for over a year my doctor told me 1200 calories I did that and lost 40 lbs in 4 months then lost another 10 lbs in 2 months then I hit a plateau and couldn't lose weight for nothing this went on for several months. Everybody on MFP kept telling me I needed to do my maintenance calorie for a couple of months to get out of the plateau because my body thought I was in starvation mode and I was not going to do this. In Aug I slipped and fell at a waterpark and injured my back after doing months of PT and not being able to workout at all I ended up gaining back 40 lbs. I stared back at the gym the end of December and this time I'm doing 1700 calories and losing weight most doctors say 1200 calories but why starve yourself and hit a plateau after a couple of months.
  • billiejean_1
    billiejean_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think its normal! You have shocked your body by eating a lot less than you used to or a lot healthier! Its quite normal to drop a lot of wweight very quickly at the start... it will slow down though as your body gets used to it. That's a great amount to loose! Well done! you should be proud! I have lost 40kgs and my first week of dieting/exercising I lost about 7kgs in the one week. I was so happy! Don't question it just be happy your hard work is paying off x