Too much sleep

Options
I started working on losing weight at the beginning of this month. The first 2 weeks I lost 9 lbs, then these past 2 weeks I haven't lost anything. I think it might have something to do with sleeping too much. When I first started I was waking up early and getting about 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Now I am getting 10 hours a night and my weight loss has stopped. I am going to try harder to wake up earlier though even if it has nothing to do with sleep. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I lose more weight when I sleep more because I usually sleep through breakfast and lunch lol
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    yeah, I've skipped breakfast a couple times this week because I read that it might help you lose weight a little quicker. But it's not good to do that all the time.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks of weight loss is usually water weight and the fact that you are sleeping more is not related at all to weight loss.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    yeah, I've skipped breakfast a couple times this week because I read that it might help you lose weight a little quicker. But it's not good to do that all the time.

skipping breakfast will not making you lose weight quicker!!! This could be the reason!! Eating every 3 hours keeps your metabolism going!

3 meals 2 small snacks
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Skipping breakfast is fine, if you choose. The myths regarding breakfast and eating x meals per day have been very well busted. Daily/weekly Calorie goals are what matter.

And a lot of your initial loss was probably water weight. Your food diary isn't public, so we can't help much more at the moment.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

skipping breakfast will not making you lose weight quicker!!! This could be the reason!! Eating every 3 hours keeps your metabolism going!

3 meals 2 small snacks

No. That myth has been completely busted.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by eating breakfast :O

You lose weight by cutting down on calories. Your first two weeks were likely due to water weight.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My sleep has changes a lot throughout my journey and I have not noticed any correlation to my weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stalls and not losing every week are normal. I don't think your sleep has much to do with it.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sleep is good for you. Sleep as much as you can.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

3 meals 2 small snacks

No... just no. That is an old myth and has been proven wrong a long time ago...

Meal timing/frequency is completely irrelevant to weight loss..
    It doesn't keep your metabolism going either..
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I sleep too much sometimes, because I let the Arthritis get to me. But my weight is unaffected by it. If a person is sleep-deprived, however, which I was for years, weight gain is likely.
  • jenni_d1990
    Options
    Actually sleep can have a lot to do with everything, including weight. Either not getting enough sleep or getting too much sleep. And maybe that's not the case for everyone because obviously everyone is different. And this is why I like to read about stuff before I ask, there's always a million different answers.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I sleep more on a cut than I do on a bulk especially with the workouts that I do. Are you eating enough? Are you working out too much? Maybe you just aren't fueling yourself enough and are exhausted. Open your diary for some real advice.
  • jenni_d1990
    Options
    Well my diary is public now. Feel free to look at it. Someone said to me that you don't start losing much weight the first month and a half or something so maybe that's the case. For me anyways.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick peek at your diary. If you're logging accurately and stick to this, you will lose. I don't think sleep will hold you back.
  • jenni_d1990
    Options
    Yeah, either way I am more productive when I wake up earlier so maybe I burn more calories because of that : ) I'm definitely sticking with my diet, I am addicted to oranges and apples. Sometimes I go over my sugar intake, but not usually much. And I read that fruit sugar is easier for your body to process so I'm not too worried.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Egads. Netting 800 a day! No wonder you are exhausted. You will certainly lose doing this, but at the expense of no energy and muscle mass. It's also more difficult to stick to leading to failure, all with less muscle and therefore a lower metabolism than where you started.

You didn't gain this weight in a week or a month, so don't try to lose it in that time. PLEASE take the time to read through these links so that you can do this the healthy, and happier and energetic way:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I sometimes sleep a lot over the weekends, and I actually find that it makes me totally drag *kitten*. So because I have less energy, I'm less active during the day. Instead of puttering around getting things done I'm a zombie and probably not burning as many daily calories.

I'm less likely to crash and do this if I get a decent amount of sleep throughout the week.

Some studies do suggest staying up late and not getting a good night's sleep can make you gain weight, especially when you feel the need to do some midnight snacking while you're trying to work. Related article:

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain
  • jenni_d1990
    Options
    I'm not exhausted. I just have trouble waking up early