Work out planner?

Options
I got out of active duty army spec ops (NOT GREEN BERET) and got fat. 1 1/2 years later I dropped most of that weight and joined the guard. I gave it like 6 months and it's boring so I am going back to active but I want to get in peak shape for some training I will be requesting. I understand that weight loss is mostly what you eat but I also want to increase strength (not body builder, more toned and less bulk).

What I am hoping is if any one knows of a place to help you build a exercise calendar or if any one wants to help me make one.

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am unsure of your strength level, but I highly recommend Stronglifts 5x5.

Let me know if you want a link!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Jefit.com its online and they have an app.
  • pyromaniac511
    Options
    in case any one wants to help make one.

equipment available:
    Bench press.
    ez bar
    dumbbells
    total gym
    running shoes
    Access to several full gyms

Goals:
    abs = biggest goal. I hear these can be done everyday so 2-5 exercises a day would be nice
    running = I run a 2 mile in 15 minutes, would like to get to 13:30;
    overall better shape.

I don't mind if it's a 3 day rotation or something like that, I don't mind repetition in fact it makes it easier to remember.

Thanks to anyone who accepts this challenge.
  • pyromaniac511
    Options
    wow, fast responses on this forum.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    do some reasearch on 5/3/1. basically it's a four day split, one day for each major muscle group. squats, dead lifts, overhead press, and bench press.

you can and can't do abs every day. when you lift, your core is almost always engaged so they're getting a good work out. but to do 2-5 exercises every day directly hitting your core is a little over kill. i find that on leg days, i generally do one core exercise at the end of my work out. i either do swiss ball crunches, or hanging leg lifts. on upper body days i do curls. both only if i have the energy.

on your days off from lifting, you run. don't run the day before a leg day, only after. i find that running is great to help combat DOMS and help your legs recover better.

check out strstd.com for a calendar based of 5/3/1.
  • pyromaniac511
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The 2-5 abs a day thing was just a guess. I normally just avoid it since I hate sit ups.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The 2-5 abs a day thing was just a guess. I normally just avoid it since I hate sit ups.

sit ups are probably the worst exercise you could do. horrible for the back, and almost don't work out your abs at all.

now, swiss ball crunches... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/exercise-ball-crunch
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Doing a generic strength program like 5/3/1 or 5x5 will be ok, but do you have a fitness test you need to work towards? If so, some more detailed information would be great.

Cpt Apollo has some great advice above.

If you have goals for both athletic performance and strength you might want to consider a concurrent resistance/endurance program that helps build on both disciplines. I'd also encourage you to check out a guy called Alex Viada, the guy is a freak who deadlifts 700 and competes in ironman events and marathons.

I've used a few of his articles and resources to build my current exercise program (for weight training and cycling).

Have a look at this article, some great tips on program building for strength & running!
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog/2013/01/so-you-want-to-run/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Doing a generic strength program like 5/3/1 or 5x5 will be ok, but do you have a fitness test you need to work towards? If so, some more detailed information would be great.

very very good point.

if your training requires you to do X amount of pull ups, doing ohp won't get you that much stronger on the pull ups. doing pull ups will.
  • pyromaniac511
    Options
    army is just push up sit, ups, run. I already pass just looking to get healthier. I absolutely don't want to be body builder big. let's say look good at the beach type fit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    army is just push up sit, ups, run. I already pass just looking to get healthier. I absolutely don't want to be body builder big. let's say look good at the beach type fit.

don't worry. you won't accidentally turn into a body builder.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A former special ops asking how to get back in shape before joining active duty again :huh:
  • pyromaniac511
    Options
    There is a major difference in spec ops and spec forces. ops is the support unit. We went everywhere with them but were not the bad *kitten*. Also, I was pretty low on the rank structure so I just did what I was told and got drunk after work. I'm trying to do it right this time.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm against this..

But use the pre ranger pt schedule and do crossfit 3-5 times a week.