would this breakfast be healthy? I lack protein, vegetarian

Options
I'm a vegetarian and have been told I heavily lack protein in my diet (I think my only source is having 8 cashew nuts a day). I usually have a bowl of weetabix with an apple for breakfast, using no sugar and 300ml milk (around 350kcal max). think my breakfast might be too high calorie actually.

Anyway, I've been researching online and this toast thing seems to be a good idea, the peanut butter will give me some protein, I've never tried peanut butter and a lot of people have trouble not having too much peanut butter, should I even go there or should I stick to my regular wholegrain cereal?

Replies

• doiexist1987
    doiexist1987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dairy is a protein as are almonds and soy (not sure what type of milk you use) so I wouldn't worry
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If the days you logged in your diary from this week are your normal days, you are not getting enough protein or calories. The good news is you can get more than enough of both on a vegetarian diet.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Actually we don't need that much protein. A woman can easily live off of 45g and a man 64g, and that's sitting on your butt all day.
    Personally I would stay away from soy since it messes with hormones.
    Nuts are a good option, but don't forget grains like lentils and legumes have good protein sources. Also veggies and fruits have it, they're just more dense in water and low in calories.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Actually we don't need that much protein. A woman can easily live off of 45g and a man 64g, and that's sitting on your butt all day.
    Personally I would stay away from soy since it messes with hormones.

OP is getting around 33 grams, and being 18, is probably not sitting on her butt all day, which means she needs more.
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    If the days you logged in your diary from this week are your normal days, you are not getting enough protein or calories. The good news is you can get more than enough of both on a vegetarian diet.

yes from what's in my diary is usually what I eat nearly all the time. I just hope my lack of protein won't cause me to have crazy cravings at night for junk.
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    Dairy is a protein as are almonds and soy (not sure what type of milk you use) so I wouldn't worry

ah okay, I don't usually eat almonds and have never tried soy so I will try and incorporate these into my diet somehow, the milk I use is semi-skimmed.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

yes from what's in my diary is usually what I eat nearly all the time. I just hope my lack of protein won't cause me to have crazy cravings at night for junk.

The lack of variety, protein, and calories will almost for sure lead to cravings. Take care of your body now, and you will have a better chance of it taking care of you later. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending, but my hope for you is that you realize you can eat more than you are now while feeling better and still losing weight.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The bread you are talking about is sprouted bread. Which has on average 6g protein per slice. I started having it this week and it is deelishhh! Top it off with 15g peanut butter/almond butter and you are good to go.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian anymore but I don't like meat and I only really eat chicken. I hate all breakfast meats but I actually find breakfast is often my highest protein meal especially when I am not eating chicken for dinner.

Go to breakfasts are: Hard Boiled Eggs, Dunkin or Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches (Both have vegetarian options), Overnight Oats w/ Protein Powder (I use optimum whey, pretty sure it's vegetarian but it is not vegan), protein shake, greek yogurt with granola or a quest bar when I'm not really hungry for a big breakfast.

Hummus, beans, quinoa,peanut/almond butter or any kind of nuts are also good sources of protein for vegetarians. Even eating meat I don't get enough protein because I don't really enjoy high protein foods but breakfast is the easiest meal to get my protein in ways I can actually enjoy
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you did not fill out your food diary for today or yesterday, so that would be my first suggestion. Even though I am not a vegetarian I have a daughter that is vegan so I have some knowledge. You need to get your protein from some source. Also I think it would help to add fiber to your diary.

I do not believe you are eating enough calories so if you continue you might go into starvation mode and will not loose.

These are my opinions, just trying to help.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian anymore but I don't like meat and I only really eat chicken. I hate all breakfast meats but I actually find breakfast is often my highest protein meal especially when I am not eating chicken for dinner.

Go to breakfasts are: Hard Boiled Eggs, Dunkin or Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches (Both have vegetarian options), Overnight Oats w/ Protein Powder (I use optimum whey, pretty sure it's vegetarian but it is not vegan), protein shake, greek yogurt with granola or a quest bar when I'm not really hungry for a big breakfast.

Hummus, beans, quinoa,peanut/almond butter or any kind of nuts are also good sources of protein for vegetarians. Even eating meat I don't get enough protein because I don't really enjoy high protein foods but breakfast is the easiest meal to get my protein in ways I can actually enjoy

pretty much this^.

Invest in a protein powder to up your protein if you want. you can make smoothies out of it and stir it into your milk in your cereal. or just eat more eggs/beans/low-cal cheeses like cottage cheese. I don't have an issue with soy at all. I'm not vegetarian but I have a milk allergy so I've had to switch over to soy for lots of things.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein. I'm not a vegetarian but for breakfast today I had a cup and half of plain fage greek yogurt with granola and berries and that had 43 g of protein. 35 g of protein came from the yogurt itself and 8 g from the granola
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is said to have more protein than steak.
    Peas
    Spinach
    Kale
    Brussels sprouts
    Quinoa
    Farro
    Whole wheat spaghetti
    black beans, lentils, edamame, garbanzo beans
    hemp seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    Protein shakes or protein bars
    banana + almond butter (or peanut butter if you don't like almond butter)
    chickpeas
    yogurts
    cottage cheese
    tofu
    avocado

so many things contain protein.
  • Madonah43
    Options
    You might consider quinoa with fresh fruit. I'm not a strict vegetarian, but rarely eat meat so I get the whole protein thing. But if you consider things like quinoa which is a complete protein and also a nongluten grain, it's my go-to breakfast of choice. Then with nut butters, raw nuts, avocado, eggs in moderation...there are a number of delicious and low calorie/fat ways to get the amount of protein you need every day. A couple of good websites for healthy eating that doesn't make you feel like you're eating healthy (for real!) are Chocolatecoveredkatie.com and ChicOTcheap.blogspot.com. Cheers!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Most of the meat alternatives are good sources of protein as well... A veggie burger in the toaster oven with a piece of cheese on wheat bread could get you about 30g depending on the type you buy. Nature valley also has newish protein granola bars.

All of my other favorite proteins have been mentioned.
  • Sabi24
    Sabi24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not really breakfast specific …. Dymatize Elite all-natural is a great protein powder, sweetened with Stevia. Another good protein option is TVP (texturized vegetable protein) available from the Bulk Barn. It’s a soy product and can be used like ground meat (chili, spaghetti sauce, soup, stew) in its raw state it resembles All Bran cereal.
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    All these suggestions are fantastic, thank you everybody, I will pick some things up when I go shopping tomorrow :)