No one is noticing not even me

Options
I have been on MFP for a month now and have lost 11.2 lbs. I have not strayed from my eating plan and have actually have been exercising 3x and week for 50 minutes. While I am happy about what I have accomplished already, I have been experiencing the "is this worth it" little voice in my head. My body does not even look like I have lost anything, if the scale would not tell me I would not even know! Its depressing to say the least. I just want to sit down, cry and eat the box of candy I discovered today. I asked my Husband if he could tell I have lost weight and he said "not really". UGH - I still have over 60 lbs to go!

Replies

• Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same after a little over 4 months and 56lbs. I see people that've lost 56lbs in success stories (even starting at my weight) and they look like new people... I literally look exactly the same (I even took photos the day after I started and look the same on them)... Totally illogical >.>
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It took a long time for people to notice, and they only did after not seeing me for 3 months.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling all to well, this is the rough part. But the scale isn't lying, you are loosing. Just keep going! You are doing a great job! You will soon notice a shirt that was to tight loosening up or pants that you used to be your squeeze into parts aren't a challenge. If it helps try taking measurements once a month. I didn't start to see it in myself until i was over 20 pounds personally and my boyfriend starting saying he could see it after 15. Don't let the lack of visual changes discourage you so early in the game!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    don't worry I was 50lbs in before anyone really noticed
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    You don't need people to notice :) all that matters is how you feel, do you feel better? Do you have more energy? Are your pants a little loose? Congratulations on losing 11 pounds woo! Don't fall off the wagon trust me you will feel SO much worse keep going :)
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to share with you that your self-worth does not come from other people. It comes from within you.
    You know you are loosing weight, and one day it will be more obvious. Bear in mind that the people around you see you every day. As you shrink away they become accustom to your self improvements.. .Therefore, they are not going to notice the weight loss, as someone who has not seen you for awhile. Stay strong, and focused on your progress. When you start buying those pretty clothes in the smaller size, you will be so thrilled... What a rush that will be.

Good Luck
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. People will notice eventually (and some of them probably already do, but have good manners and don't bring up your weight when you see them (yay for those people)).

Your guy probably doesn't notice yet because he sees you every day (same reason you don't notice). But 11 lbs is a lot, and it comes off from all over the whole body. So ya, right now your might not notice you clothes being that much looser on you but its right around the corner.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm currently down about fifteen pounds from 160 (5'5"). It felt like a lot of weight to loose for someone that was moderately overweight and took a lot of discipline to do so. I can't see any changes, and haven't received any comments from my partner or close friends (that are aware of my efforts) that I see on a regular basis.

My mother and best friend, both of who live out of state, saw me last week and brought it up on their own. I think sometimes it's harder for you and those who see you on a regular basis to recognize the change. I try to remain positive because I am seeing changes on the scale and I am loosing inches and my clothes are fitting like they used to.

I suppose that's the downside for always hearing that I didn't "look like" I weighed what I actually did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - take progress pics...you look at yourself every single day...it is very difficult to notice the small changes that occur over a very long period of time while you are losing weight. this issue will be exacerbated if you have body image issues to begin with.

2 - sometimes people notice and don't say anything. nobody really said anything to me until I was about 30 Lbs down...this is due in large part to the fact that commenting on someone's weight, even if it is to say, "wow...you look great...you've lost some weight" is rather taboo. A lot of people would take that and think, "so....you thought I was a nasty fat *kitten* before?" Talking about another person's weight is just a bit taboo.

3 - you're really going to have to get your head wrapped around the fact that this is a very long haul..a month is absolutely nothing...I've been here for almost a 18 months now and still have a lifetime to go. Just by your comments I can tell that you are taking the small think view...the one that says, I can't wait to get to such and such weight and then I can be done with this...reality is that THIS...your health, fitness, and nutrition are lifetime endeavors...there is no finish line...you are never "done". You will never be able to maintain long run if you look at this as something to eventually be completed and done with.

Also note that I'm not talking about logging...I don't log and I've maintained for the past 8 months or so without logging...you should be using this time to learn proper nutrition, portion control and moderation as well as setting independent fitness goals. These are the tools that will help you maintain your health, weight, and fitness long term...MFP is just training wheels...eventually they have to come off. When I say you are never done I mean that you never cease to set new goals and continue to rock your fitness and nutrition.

4 - The more you have to lose, the less noticeable small changes in weight are going to be...as you lean out, changes of a few pounds here and there are more drastic. I went from 220 to 200 Lbs and looked almost exactly the same...from 200 to 190 was some pretty substantial change and that's when people started commenting...it was to the point of being obvious and not commenting would have just gotten more and more awkward. 190 to 180 was even more dramatic and people at this point didn't so much comment on my weight loss as much as they commented on how fit I was looking. I'm actually heavier now than when I hit my initial goal and people still comment...what they don't realize is that I'm actually heavier but I look more rockin' because I've been putting a little muscle on while still burning some fat in a re-comp.

5 - you have to just keep on keepin' on...you're going to have good days and bad days and good weeks and bad weeks...you're going to miss workouts from time to time due to illness or injury or just ****ing life gets in the way...it happens. You're going to overindulge at so and so birthday party or the holidays or just because it's Saturday and you're off to a rando neighborhood BBQ. These things happen...but they don't make up the bulk of your lifestyle...this is about what you're doing 80-90% of the time, not 20-30% of the time. You're never going to be perfect and 100% on...that's just not realistic.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Don't despair! It wasn't until around the 35 lb mark that people started to notice. More important than people noticing was how much better I felt emotionally and physically. Stay with it, it will be worth it!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I found that people didn't really notice until I started to act like a smaller person. I used to hide myself, wear baggy clothes, stand in the back, sit with a pillow on my lap, carry myself slumped over, etc. I continued to do that for a while after I was losing. Eventually I started carrying myself differently, dressing differently, putting myself out there. And that's when people really noticed.

It wasn't that I lost X amount of pounds. It was that my attitude and confidence changed. And then people realized I'd lost a significant amount of weight.
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    It's hard to see when you are looking at it everyday. Take photos. It's easier to see the difference. 11 lbs makes a difference!!
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out why you are doing it...

In the end, if you are going to stick with it, it needs to be about you. Do it for yourself. Find internal motivation and use that to maintain focus when outside motivation isn't available.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for a month now and have lost 11.2 lbs. I have not strayed from my eating plan and have actually have been exercising 3x and week for 50 minutes. While I am happy about what I have accomplished already, I have been experiencing the "is this worth it" little voice in my head. My body does not even look like I have lost anything, if the scale would not tell me I would not even know! Its depressing to say the least. I just want to sit down, cry and eat the box of candy I discovered today. I asked my Husband if he could tell I have lost weight and he said "not really". UGH - I still have over 60 lbs to go!

It was 20 pounds down before anyone noticed.
  • Chantilly_laced
    Options
    Here's a question that you need to ask yourself and answer HONESTLY: "Who are you doing this for?" Yourself or everyone else?

So nobody's noticed that you've lost weight. So?! :grumble: Yeah, it kinda sucks when you feel you've come a long way, but do THEY know you spend so much time at the gym? Probably not.

What you need to do is focus on the non-scale victories. For example: Before you started your journey, did you even step foot into the gym? Now you go several times a week and you push yourself harder than you thought you could, right? VICTORY! With your eating, do you do your absolute best to track EVERYTHING and not stray from your healthy eating habits? VICTORY!! Are you STILL going even with that little voice in your head? VICTORY!! Find little things to be proud of yourself for to keep you going! Doesn't have to be a HUGE thing... make a list of goals you want to accomplish in a month... at the end of the month, if you've stuck to your guns and done all the goals (or even some)... VICTORY!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Keep in mind that you didn't put the weight on in a month, you won't take it off in a month. And don't compare yourself to everyone else who lost as much as you. Everyone loses differently at different rates. And take pics on the net for face-value... photoshop is all to easy to use these days!! Seriously.

Nevermind anyone else. You're not doing it for compliments (if you are, you're doing it for ALL the wrong reasons and you're missing the point in getting healthy!) nor are you doing it to please anyone else. You've GOT to do it for yourself or you'll never succeed. The compliments and junk are all extra!!
  • SAR4Life
    SAR4Life Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day...and neither is your body!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Might depend on how tall you are.. I have friends that lose 20lbs and I can see it because they're 5"2'... I'm 5"10', so I lose 20lbs and it may as well be day to day weight fluctuation... lol. I think I'd have to lose 50lbs before anyone but myself noticed.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    No one, other than my friends here, my kids and wife have noticed, maybe a friend of mine at work but that is about it, not my sisters, not my co-workers - but, I do not need them to, I know I have lost almost 37-1/2 lbs and losing more...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I found that people didn't really notice until I started to act like a smaller person. I used to hide myself, wear baggy clothes, stand in the back, sit with a pillow on my lap, carry myself slumped over, etc. I continued to do that for a while after I was losing. Eventually I started carrying myself differently, dressing differently, putting myself out there. And that's when people really noticed.

It wasn't that I lost X amount of pounds. It was that my attitude and confidence changed. And then people realized I'd lost a significant amount of weight.

This is interesting, and it makes total sense.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Progress pictures are the best way to see this. During my path down weight loss, I've taken monthly pictures and WHOA is there a difference! You don't notice changes in yourself from day to day, or even over a few weeks because you get used to seeing yourself. You are making good progress so keep it up!

Also, there is nothing wrong with cheating every once in awhile. We are all human, nobody is perfect. You can never be 100% accurate all the time and never eat "clean" 100% of the time. I've found that I've actually had my most successful weeks when I allowed myself to have one bad meal a week. It gives you something to look forward to. I do my weigh-ins on Friday mornings after getting out of the shower. My wife and I go out on Friday evenings. I never look at calorie count, or macro content on my meal. If I want fries, I get fries. If I want a fatty hamburger, I get one. It gives me a week until my next weigh-in to make up that little bit of ground I lost from that one meal. I don't feel guilty about it because I planned it out, and I was good all the other days of the week.

As others have said before, Rome wasn't built in a day, and it's a marathon, not a race. The most important part is not to think of it as a diet. Diets tend to be temporary. You have to make lifestyle changes. They happen over months of forming new health habits. It's very important to continue tracking HONESTLY even if you don't make the best choices. It eventually becomes habit.