Should I be eating my full 1200 calories?

Options
Should I be eating my full 1200 calories? Because today I had a ton of veggies for lunch and dinner and I am not even close to getting my 1200 calories. I have had all of my food groups so I am not just eating vegetables lol. My question real question is if it is ok that I am not eating my full calorie allowance and then exercising.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating at least that much, yes.

Try adding some fat. Avocados, full fat dairy, chicken thighs rather than breasts, oil, etc.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, almost certainly.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Most likely NO. You should calculate your BMR and make sure your net calories is not below that.
  • thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200, AND working out can really hurt your body!

She's right - healthy fats are super important - every cell in your body has a fatty cell membrane and your BRAIN is mostly fatty acids!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if you go into your nutrients, that you aren't at 100% of your needs: protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals. Yes, eat your 1200 calories. It sounds like your are being very restrictive or limiting yourself to only diet type foods. Go eat a piece of meat, or some peanut butter, a handful of nuts, or make a cup of tea and pair it with some whole grain toast and real butter.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want to, fuel your body it will thank you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The question is, why would you not?

That is an excellent question.
  • dart47
    dart47 Posts: 2
    Options
    if it's just one day thats ok. Don't make it a habit..

There is no reason for anyone to be eating less then 1200 calories unless u are 4 foot something and weight like 60-70 lbs

If you are having trouble hitting caloric goals, try adding nuts to your diet.
  • froggerhkc
    froggerhkc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Most likely NO. You should calculate your BMR and make sure your net calories is not below that.

Yup, this. Here is a good calculator, and there are others as well if you go back to all calculators.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    In response to everyone this was just a question. I am like 50 calories below. It was just a question.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    i would not worry for one day, just eat more tomorrow if you are full today. At the end of the week it will all balance out as long as it is not a regular occurence.
  • birdiecs
    Options
    The question is, why would you not?

That is an excellent question.

I felt snarky for asking, hence the edit. But wow I see it over and over and I can't understand it.
  • npostemni
    Options
    In response to everyone this was just a question. I am like 50 calories below. It was just a question.
    Adding to this I just had dinner and added to my calorie count. (I forgot to mention this)
  • npostemni
    Options
    i would not worry for one day, just eat more tomorrow if you are full today. At the end of the week it will all balance out as long as it is not a regular occurence.
    It's not a regular occurance. And it honesty was just a question. I didn't expect so many people jumping down my throat. Next time I will just google a question like this.
  • birdiecs
    Options

Unless you are very old and or very tiny you don't need to eat so little. It might be worth it to determine your TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from that. In the long run it's a much healthier approach. Just a suggestion.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And you received just answers.

The "problem" is, you asked over a million people a question, and when 20 gave you their opinions, it just felt like they were ganging up on you.

It's a totally legit question...and honestly, not everyone on this site will even agree to the answer. Read the responses, do some more research, ask some more questions, decide for yourself. Yay, learning! :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You should be eating way more than 1200 calories, I would starve on that!!

ETA: OP read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    It's not a regular occurance. And it honesty was just a question. I didn't expect so many people jumping down my throat. Next time I will just google a question like this.

I really don't think anyone was jumping down your throat, at least not intentionally. :flowerforyou:

My response to the "why wouldn't you" was just me expressing my love of food. :laugh:
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also tend to have this problem, like others said I wouldn't make this a habit. Don't be afraid to eat more, it will benefit you in the long run. Try eating some peanut or almond butter, a piece of cheese, or a higher calorie fruit like a banana. A handful of almonds is my favorite when I've noticed I haven't eaten enough.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone was jumping down your throat. You asked a question and they tried to answer it.

Why ask if you don't want an answer?

First you said that you were not even close to 1200...then you were only 50 calories away...then you said you just ate dinner...I guess that I am confused.

Were you bored?