Unrealistic Goals?

Options
HW: 190
CW: 181
GW: 140 (or higher, depending on muscle mass)

Is it too unrealistic/unhealthy to want to be at my goal weight in 5 months?

Anyone else have patience problems? Get frustrated without "instant" results?
UGH!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You will do much better to take your time. I lost about 5 pounds a month. But I did that for 7 months in a row and now a year later, all that weight is still gone. There are many people who crash diet their way down to some magic number and then immediately gain it all back.

Patience is a valuable trait to develop. It is useful for weight loss and practically every other area of life. Ask me how I know. . . I teach seventh grade.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have major patience problems too. Some days I can let my impatience go, some days I can't and I just want to be at my goal weight NOW.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Two pounds per week is about as aggressive as one should get according to experts. Good luck!
  • thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know I need to take it slow, but it feels like I'll take FOREVER to "get there", but I do know that if I don't do it right, I'll yo-yo. I've yo-yo-ed 20 pounds a few times now and it's super frustrating.
    Thanks for the support ladies!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You'd need to be losing 2 lb/week consistently to make that happen, which is possible. I think the most important thing, though, is to make sure that you're continuously at a caloric deficit. Don't get discouraged if you can't keep up the 1000-cal deficit needed to lose weight that fast.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Two pounds per week is about as aggressive as one should get according to experts. Good luck!

This^^^^^ other wise loose and baggy skin could be next.........
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

UGH!

I've been there before, your exact stats to be specifc. I recommend slow and steady over quick losses followed by a burn out.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? It took me a year to lose 50 pounds and two more years of continued body recomposition. Be patient!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am totally impatient too! I wish I could drop 15 pounds in a few weeks like my hubby. Men drop it so stinking fast - it is so annoying! However, losing the weight slower (1-2 pounds a week at most) is the most sustainable way to lose. You may not hit your goal in 5 months, but you will be so much closer than you are now. Besides, the last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to lose, so even if you lose more rapidly in the beginning, it WILL slow down as you get closer to reaching your goal. Just don't get frustrated and lose sight of you goal. You can do it!
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    You'd need to be losing 2 lb/week consistently to make that happen, which is possible. I think the most important thing, though, is to make sure that you're continuously at a caloric deficit. Don't get discouraged if you can't keep up the 1000-cal deficit needed to lose weight that fast.

I honestly don't have a problem keeping up the deficit, I tend to make it too big though. I get a little obsessive once I start. Anyway, 1-2 pounds per week would be the best for me, I know. I used to be 135 in high school (though I suffered from anorexia/bulemia) so being this heavy is already frustrating, let alone how looooonnnnggggg it will take to get that weight off...
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    I am totally impatient too! I wish I could drop 15 pounds in a few weeks like my hubby. Men drop it so stinking fast - it is so annoying! However, losing the weight slower (1-2 pounds a week at most) is the most sustainable way to lose. You may not hit your goal in 5 months, but you will be so much closer than you are now. Besides, the last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to lose, so even if you lose more rapidly in the beginning, it WILL slow down as you get closer to reaching your goal. Just don't get frustrated and lose sight of you goal. You can do it!

Thanks! I'm hoping that the weight that comes of quick will be inspiration for hitting it harder at the gym. I'll be starting heavy lifting here in a few weeks after I adjust to the increased cardio lately.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    About 5 pounds per month is realistic for me.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    slow and steady. Especially if you have a history of an eating disorder. Don't push yourself with a tough end date. Say the end of the year? That's doable. You won't feel rushed, and you won't feel any need to restrict yourself terribly. Remember, it took time to put on the weight. It takes time for it to come off.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

UGH!

Yes it is...to be quite frank

I started heavier than you...and at first I tried to get it off fast..gained it back....tried again...gained most of it back...

Tried again but had enough...I joined here and started to learn.

I was 175 when I joined and in 7months I have lost 13lbs and 18.5 inches...I went from a size 10 to a recent purchase of a size 6 (a bit snug but not totally uncomforatable)

I had a goal of 165 initially...I am 5 ft 7 and 41...I hit that goal...didn't like what I saw...made a new one. I lift 3x a week to ensure the weight I am losing is mostly fat and have recently added in HIIT x2 a week. I eat 1600 calories a day...and lose on average .6lbs a week...

You didn't gain this weight in 5months...don't expect to lose it.

And keep track of where your brain is going. If you are maintaining the deficet for 2lbs a week easily and maybe even bigger watch yourself you could relaspe...as well reasses your goals..

Figure out if you want a number on the scale or if you want a certian look...but if you are going to start lifting i suspect you want a look..if that is the case dig out a measuring tape....get your BF% calculated and choose a clothing size forget about the scale.
  • thecheesybrie
    Options

UGH!

Yes it is...to be quite frank

I started heavier than you...and at first I tried to get it off fast..gained it back....tried again...gained most of it back...

Tried again but had enough...I joined here and started to learn.

I was 175 when I joined and in 7months I have lost 13lbs and 18.5 inches...I went from a size 10 to a recent purchase of a size 6 (a bit snug but not totally uncomforatable)

I had a goal of 165 initially...I am 5 ft 7 and 41...I hit that goal...didn't like what I saw...made a new one. I lift 3x a week to ensure the weight I am losing is mostly fat and have recently added in HIIT x2 a week. I eat 1600 calories a day...and lose on average .6lbs a week...

You didn't gain this weight in 5months...don't expect to lose it.

And keep track of where your brain is going. If you are maintaining the deficet for 2lbs a week easily and maybe even bigger watch yourself you could relaspe...as well reasses your goals..

Figure out if you want a number on the scale or if you want a certian look...but if you are going to start lifting i suspect you want a look..if that is the case dig out a measuring tape....get your BF% calculated and choose a clothing size forget about the scale.

I have some measurements going, and I do plan on heavy lifting once I get about half of my fat off. I want to be strong, and healthy, and look awesome naked. Not just skinny, I look at pictures of when I was skinny and all I see is a sickly hungry girl. My obsession and impatience shows that I still have those tendencies though...
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    slow and steady. Especially if you have a history of an eating disorder. Don't push yourself with a tough end date. Say the end of the year? That's doable. You won't feel rushed, and you won't feel any need to restrict yourself terribly. Remember, it took time to put on the weight. It takes time for it to come off.

That's the thing that is hard for me to remember - 5 years of weight won't come off in five months. At least not in a healthy way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Definitely unrealistic. But you'll look at yourself in a year and think it was fast, all things considered.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Completely unrealistic. While you may be able to start out losing 2 pounds per week, that rate cannot last. When you get closer to goal weight it will take longer. If you crash diet and restrict calories, you may not like the results and you will most likely gain it back once you start eating more normally again.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

^^This.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic and just setting yourself up for more yo-yo dieting. Don't 'diet', make this a lifestyle change and take your time. Huge calorie deficits don't teach you healthy eating habits, they just perpetuate the 'diet' mentality. And.....rapid weight loss isn't just fat loss...It's loss of muscle too. You want to lose slow and maintain your lean muscle mass to keep that metabolism fired up!