new to weight lifting, and confused

Options
hubby surprised me and bought a vinyl set (bar and plate weights). i wanted to get a flat tummy without lifting, but i see it helped many. so now where do i start? i still have fat on my belly, but my weight is normal (118 pounds and i am 5'0) so should i continue on a deficit? can someone share some advice on where to start? i wanted to give stronglifts a try, any ideas?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sure, here you go.

All of this works exactly the same for men as for women. There is no such thing as a man workout or a woman workout, that's bull**** marketing.

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain Weight (be it Fat or Muscle)
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Toned Look = Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

Recipe for Ripped Look = Even Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You can't spot reduce fat with exercise or diet, so where/when/how the fat comes off depends on your genetics. Usually first on means last off... is what it is. Keep lowering BF% until you're happy. You do this by eating a deficit of calories. If you screw up a day or a week or whatever, don't worry, just get back on it. No shame. You'll start looking better and getting compliments well short of reaching your actual goals anyway. Big plus. How noticable it is though depends on how much you have to loose.

Your body's natural shape is also determined by genetics, and unless it's fat that's giving you size, you're going to have trouble getting rid of it. Also, you cannot influence the shape of muscle, only size.

You have to eat a surplus of calories to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

So... don't worry about getting bulky, whether you're a man or a woman. Getting bulky is slow for men and even more difficult for women, so you'll know well in advance when you're approaching whatever aesthetic goal you're aiming for.

My book recommendation, and *I swear on my life* it will help you and is worth your time to read, is "New Rules of Lifting" (they have one geared a bit more towards women as well, although there's 0% difference in the way this works for either sex). The program at the very end of the book is kinda "fluffy" lol, but it's perfectly fine to use if you like it. If not...

An excellent starting program is Stronglifts 5x5, doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. Uses the five main, fundamental compound movements to build strength, and it's a simple workout that hits nearly every muscle in your body. Do that for a while to start, and then use "ICF 5x5" to up the volume a bit and keep the "5x5" compound lifts for strength (just review the programs and you'll see what I mean).
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great! Thx so much!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I see 2 options:

#1 Get someone to show you how to use these weights (like a trainer), even if that means as little as once a week.

#2 Do your own research (like youtube). Just type in "barbell exercise" and away you go. When you do these exercises, make sure you tape yourself so you can see what you look like (as most look all sorts of funked up).
  • JenniferT89
    Options
    Have you considered joining a gym? My gym has a FREE weight lifting program where they help you monitor your lifting and help you increase reps/weights appropriately. They also show you have to use machines safely. If your like I was (and it sounds like you are) you look at that weight and don't have any clue as to why it is there or what it does. It helps to have someone walk you through it. Maybe a trainer once or twice could come out to your house and help get you going.

Edit: If you don't want to do weights, don't. Weights have MANY benefits, but if you want to loose via cardio only, then do that. Do what you feel inspired and energized to do. When I first joined my gym I said I would never do weights, just cardio. Now I'm lifting and loving it! Do what you can get up in the morning and look forward to!
  • Jlpmcmahon
    Jlpmcmahon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend getting a trainer to start you off. Once you start to lose weight, you will want to improve definition in certain areas, and a trainer can show you how to do that. Most importantly, you need to avoid injury, and when you first start, you are more susceptible to injury because you may have bad or imperfect form.

I started weight training only 4 weeks ago with a friend who is a lifelong body builder. At 45, and a good 40lbs overweight, I was skeptical about how I could possibly improve my muscle tone. He started me off on very basic exercises, with very light weights, and I felt like a fraud. 4 weeks later, having perfected the techniques and having conditioned those muscles with lighter weights, I am lifting heavier weights, and managing more reps. I don't suppose I will ever look chiselled and cut, but I am already starting to see some definition in places I haven't seen it since I was 20!

A good mix of MFP to help with diet and intake, cardio 2-3 times a week, and weight training 3-4 times a week, and I am seeing results. Left to my own devices though, I wouldn't have done nearly so well on the weights. My advice: get a trainer who will set you on your path in such a way as to avoid injury, and get maximum return on effort. Good luck!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a trainer or a gym since I'm in the process of getting a new home
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I did Stronglifts at home for quite some time. Watch the videos on the website or other YouTube videos. Have someone check your form.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a trainer or a gym since I'm in the process of getting a new home

You don't need a trainer. You just need to read a book so your familar with things, and use a program. I suggested for both above.
  • Wpatart
    Wpatart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Form vids and watching my own form vids, the Eat, Train, Progress group, MFP friends, like Frnklft, and my Starting Strength book have done WAY MORE to help me than the few hundred I spent on a trainer who was certified in Oly lifting, but REFUSED to train me on the lifts. You don't need a trainer.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Have you investigated any at all? If you have health insurance, many will pick up part of the gym costs. Mine picks up $20 per month, which is over half my dues. At some facilities that would/could be the majority of it.